Prologue

Twisted Hearts

            Yesung felt his world crash around him when Ryeowook and Kyuhyun announced their status as a couple to the rest of the members. Never had he told the eternal maknae of his feelings for him, afraid he would be rejected, and not even sure Ryeowook played for the same team, to say, as he himself did. Discovering he did, but for one of his closest friends, hurt like a .

            As he stood on the roof, away from his bandmates and friends, he sighed, blinking away the urge to cry. He doesn’t know for how long he stood up there, simply staring at the city and at the sky, but he was very surprised when a voice suddenly came from behind him.

            “Hyung? Why are you here?”

            He turned to find the last person he would have expected – the one dongsaeng he was awkward with.

            “Sungmin?” The bunny-like man stared at him with his large eyes, waiting for an answer. “Ah! Um, I just wanted to be alone for a while. Too much commotion in the dorm, ya know?” He tried laughing it off, but his laughter sounded weird to his own ears.

            “I’m sorry, Yesung Hyung.” The man in question looked to the bunny in confusion.

            “Why are you sorry, Sungmin?” He didn’t understand; Sungmin had done nothing wrong – as far as Yesung knew – so what could he possibly be apologizing for?

            “You love Ryeowook, don’t you?” Sungmin looked the turtle right in the eyes as he spoke, causing the older man to blush bright red.

            “What?” He couldn’t find the words to deny the claim, nor the courage to confirm it. He was more or less bewildered. He hardly ever speaks to Sungmin; how on earth could the bunny have known his most well-kept secret? Or was he just really that obvious?

            “I know. That you love him. It’s not obvious or anything. I just notice these things. I understand. I love someone I shouldn’t – that I could never really be with – as well. I understand.”

            Yesung couldn’t comprehend the emotion he saw in Sungmin’s eyes at that moment. There were too many, all mixed up in a swirl of chaotic mess in Sungmin’s dark orbs. He felt his heart ache with empathy for the younger man.

            “It hurts, doesn’t it?” Yesung watched as Sungmin’s eyes filled with unshed tears and the bunny looked to the ground, blinking them away quickly before answering the question. “Like hell.”

            Yesung couldn’t explain why he gave in to the urge or even where it came from, but the next moment he held Sungmin in his arms, holding the man tightly to his own body. Sungmin lost whatever composure he did have after that. The man gave into the sobs that had been threatening to rip out of his throat and he clutched the older man’s shoulders for support, burying his head in Yesung’s neck.

            Yesung lifted his left hand from Sungmin’s waist to his head and gently pet the younger man, running his fingers soothingly through the silky dark locks. Sungmin just gripped tighter to Yesung’s shoulders, fingers digging into the skin, though Yesung either didn’t notice or didn’t acknowledge, for which Sungmin was grateful.

            When Sungmin’s sobs finally faded to sniffles, he drew back from Yesung a little. His face was bright red, both from crying and the embarrassment from having broken down like that in front of his hyung.

            Still standing close to the other man, still clutching his shoulders as if they were a lifeline, Sungmin looked up at Yesung with his wide, dark eyes. “Let me help you, Hyung.”

            “What? Sungmin-“

            “Let me help you. We can break them up, I’m sure of it. Hyung, I’ll help you.”

            Yesung stared wide-eyed at the shorter man. He couldn’t comprehend the words of the other man. ‘Does he really mean that? He really wants to break up Kyuhyun and Ryeowook? They’re his friends… I don’t understand…’ And as he continued staring into the dark eyes filled with a fierce determination, he understood. ‘It’s Kyuhyun. He’s in love with Kyuhyun…’

            “Let me help.” Sungmin’s whispered plea broke Yesung from his thoughts and he found himself nodding subconsciously.

            Sungmin let out a small smile as he rested his head on Yesung’s shoulder and closed his eyes blissfully.

            And as the two men resumed their embrace under the dark sky, stars glistening above them, Yesung continued staring at the smaller man for a long time. ‘What on earth did I just agree to…?’


So, there ya go! Prologue. :) Can anyone guess why this is red? If you can, I'll post the next chapter faster. ;) Hope you enjoyed~ ^^