prologue

In The Box

so this was how Kyungsoo spent his day : woke up right when his alarm rang at 04.45 a.m, dragging his feet to bathroom and got ready in twenty minutes. neatly clothed, he went downstairs to grab some breakfast -either it's only a glass of warm milk or toast if he's lucky- before made his way to his campus. after spending about seven hours taking notes and nap, he would go straight to home if there's no invitation to hang out. As he reached home, he'd always be welcomed by all his family members in the kitchen, then he would enjoy his spare time by watching tv, playing warcraft or just simply doing his assignments before heading to bed exactly at 11.

            Please note that even if he's glad that his life was good without any actual problems, it's still too damn flat for his liking. He would prefer to get a letter sent from a mysterious magic school far far away or find an unknown snowy land behind his wardrobe.

            But again he forgot he'd already turned legal that year.

            " SORRY SIR! CAN I MEET YOUR MANAGER?" Please note again that usual Kyungsoo was calm and mannered. The only reason why he shouted shamelessly across the bar table that time was because he'd spent more than an hour there only to be ignored like an invisible ghost. The nearest bartender cringed for a mere second. He almost dropped the glass in his hand.
          
            " Sorry, sorry, here's your drink," he apologized as he handed the drink to a customer. He turned his face to Kyungsoo. " There, please, i can hear you. No need to shout. What do you want?"
 
            Heat immediately took over Kyungsoo's cheeks. He cleared his throat. " No, sorry for yelling, but can i meet your manager?" He repeated nervously. The bartender raised his brows, judging him hard. Kyungsoo gulped.

            " He's out. If you want to complain, you can spill it to me."

            Kyungsoo bit his lip. The bartender leaned against the bar table, crossing his arms, waiting. Kyungsoo grimaced. " Em, no, actually, i'm looking for a job. " He said, scrunching up his whole face. The bartender kept a flat expression as if he'd faced situation like that more than often. None let out a word.

            " There, may i ask you something?" Kyungsoo nodded. " Do you know what this place is?"

            Kyungsoo barely shook his head. To be honest, for all his life, he'd never been in a place like that before. He usually saw clubs only through his computer or tv screen. He could say actually being there was overwhelming, he felt like crying having erted unknown women touched him here and there, he wanted to run out but even he himself couldn't stop wonder why he stayed. Might be because that place was the only place that hadn't rejected him or what. He's not sure of anything at all anymore.

            The bartender didn't snicker like he expected. Instead he sighed, patted his shoulder and said, " Good then. It's better-"

            " Jongdae! " Both turned their heads towards the voice. A man waved his hand high above his head, squeezing his body to approach them. The bartender- Jongdae- mouthed him a 'what'.

            " Uh, Baekhyun's sent to hospital. Broke an arm. I can't replace him, i have performance tonight. You go change." 

            " No way, it's my day off." Jongdae waved his hand nonchalantly made the new man frowned.

            " Then there'll be no opening? And i have to stand Jongin for five more minutes? How about no."

            It's not hard for Kyungsoo to smell a delicious chance. " What's up? I may can help," he smiled brightly.

         Jongdae and the new man exchanged glances before the latter held out his hand. " Hi, I'm Luhan. So we're looking for someone to replace our singer because he's taken to hospital. Can you sing? What's your name?" They shook hands.

            " I'm Do Kyungsoo. I don't know if my voice is good enough but i like singing."

            Luhan pursed his lips. " Follow me. I need to hear your voice first to know if you can sing the song or not." With that, Jongdae was left alone at his bar. Kyungsoo gripped Luhan's sleeve like a lost kid. They walked to a door leading to the backstage. It's a lot brighter than the dance floor made Kyungsoo needed to blink his eyes for times to adjusting it. The room was packed with people, moving clothes hangers, moving chairs, mirrors. They walked past everything to the corner of the room, where a comfortable-looking leather sofa was placed. Luhan sat next to a sleeping man on it.

             " Sing any song." He said. Kyungsoo pulled the hem of his shirt, his heartbeat went faster each seconds passed. He felt like going back to elementary all over again. He eventually sang a song he usually listened being played on the radio, gaining an approval nod from Luhan once he's finished.

             " I need you to sing this song. You have two hours to memorize it. By the way, thank you. We'll give you the payment after the performance." Kyungsoo nodded, receiving the i-pod. " Good luck."

             The song was good, Kyungsoo liked it. He sat cross-legged on the floor, leaning against the end of the sofa, putting the song on repeat. He had memorize it by heart as if he'd listened to the song since forever when someone called him to change his clothes. He's given five minutes to put on the white dress shirt and black slacks that somehow fit him precisely. Luhan showed him the way.

             Everything looked so different from where he stood on the stage. From the bar, he only could see the crowded dance floor and a mini stage above it. From there, he could see endless vip customers on their seat looking back at him. He had no idea he'd have to perform there. All his confidence suddenly vanished into thin night air. He shivered. He gripped the mic for dear life, lyrics running before his eyes.

            The music began.

            Kyungsoo was lost.

            Jongdae facepalmed from his spot next to the stage. " Someone, someone, get that poor thing back, quickly," he told a waiter. He immediately sent Luhan a message, telling the latter to pay the loss with his best performance later. He's about to put his phone back when a crack voice heard.

            " No! No please, sorry i can do this- " Jongdae felt like throwing himself off a cliff. How could someone be that shameless. He turned his heels but something stopped him on his track. 

           Plain and simple
           I would give my life to you
           Everything you needed
           Baby I would be it  


           Jongdae looked up onto the stage. Relief sigh slipped off his lips. Thank God the poor man already be able to get back on his feet. The crowd instantly burst into cheers as someone waltzed in, joining the obvious surprised singer seconds later. A satisfy smirk made its way across Jongdae's face.

           While meters down the stage Jongdae was feeling great, Kyungsoo on the stage was feeling absurd. How could he wasn't, there's this  stranger suddenly showed up out of nowhere, taking him to dance together while he's clearly singing. The guy looked like he's under some kind of spell though, so high and yet graceful. He made dancing seemed so easy even for awkward person like Kyungsoo. He swore he saw him flew just then. He made Kyungsoo's body moved even without the owner realizing. He brought him near, wrapping his fingers around his waist, taking him into the air. The singer could smell mints and felt the dancer's steady breath on his nape. He could see stars.

           Too bad he's running out of lyrics. The music stopped, forcing Kyungsoo to get back onto the stage. The dancer led him walked down the stairs and disappeared just like that. Kyungsoo lost his balance all of a sudden then fell onto the floor. His head whirling inside his skull.

           " Hey- hey, you okay?" That's the man who called him to change. He squatted before him, furrowing his brows together. He waved his hands.in front of his eyes. Kyungsoo barely nodded.

           " It's okay... I'm fine." Kyungsoo tried to flash him a smile but he guessed it just appeared as freaky grimace.

           " You don't look good, I'll get you water. Wait here, seconds."

           Kyungsoo waited like a good kid that he was until the man was back literally only seconds later.

           " Thank you. " He said after finishing half of the bottle in one gulp. The man smiled. A dimple showed up on his right cheek. Kyungsoo couldn't help but smiled back.

           " You're welcome! By the way, just now is such a good performance!" He showed him his thumbs then laughed at Kyungsoo's reddened cheeks. The latter thanked him again.

           A shadow fell upon them." Yixing, your turn. Go get ready." Kyungsoo lifted up his face and his vision was welcomed with a really, really tall man looking down at him. The called man only shrugged and bid him a 'see you later' before walked across the room.

           The tall man was nothing but intimidating. Kyungsoo immediately felt so small and useless.

           " Do Kyungsoo?" He nodded. " Here's your payment. Thank you for helping us tonight. We really appreciate this. I heard from Jongdae you're looking for a job. Do you mind to give us your number so we can contact you in case something like this happens again?"

           The man introduced himself as Kris. Like the others, he directly left after finishing the business with him. Kyungsoo wandered around cluelessly, it turned out there're so many identical doors leading to anywhere but outside. 

           " Sorry, sir, uh, i need to know the way out." He stopped a very pale man walked past him. The man didn't say anything, but he turned his heels nevertheless back to where he and Kyungsoo came from. The latter followed him.

           Once he's out, he couldn't even see his hands. It's pitch black. Something flickered in a distance away and a glass box appeared in vision out of nothing, floating in the middle of the air. Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. Inside the box, there's like an exact copy of one eight of a classroom, complete with desks and chairs, windows at the right side, lamp on the top. Imagine how big was the box. The lamp went out. Sound of a door slammed startled Kyungsoo.

           " You little !" The lamp again. The box was still there but now there're two people inside. Both were guys, dressed in some kind of school uniform. The one with blond hair was shoved towards the desks. " I said don't ing touch him."

           " I do whatever I like." From where kyungsoo stood, he couldn't see their faces, but somehow he's sure the blond one was smirking as he replied. The other man, the one with black hair, grabbed his collar.

           " He's mine."

           " You wish, dear."

           " Hey," Kyungsoo turned his face, raising his brows, confused for two whole seconds before realization hit him. He muttered a sorry. The man showed him no expression and continued his walking.

           Kyungsoo wondered what happened next as he heard loud gasps filled the air when the door closed behind his back.