But I'm not giving up...

Letting Go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNgCQlxcFQ (listen while reading!)

 

"Are you giving up that easily?"

 

 

I stopped in my tracks and looked back to see who said those words. But even if I hadn't looked back, I knew who it was; Lee Jeongmin. "What are you talking about, Jeongmin? I'm not giving up."

 

 

He came closer to me once again and grabbed my hand. I flinched at the contact of his hand on my wrist. "If you're not giving up then what are you doing? What happened to the optimistic girl I knew who wouldn't give up what she wanted?"

 

 

"She's still here..." My voice faded. The wind blew in my hair and small drops of rain started to fall. "Just because I'm letting him go, doesn't mean you have to. You have more chance than me. You told me it looked like she liked you back too. You can still do it. Don't give up."

 


"Then don't give up too. Please." Jeongmin furrowed his eyebrows and looked into my eyes. "Please. Let's do this together. I can't bear seeing you like this."
 

 

I gave him a small smile and shook my head. I started to walk away from him and as I looked back at him, I waved my hand while forcing a smile. Jeongmin sighed exhasparatingly. "Hana, I know you're not okay. Please don't do this to yourself. Don't do this to me."

 


"I am not okay. I know that. I'm not even trying to be okay. I just don't want to go on thinking I have a chance when I clearly don't anymore. It's no use." I said to him before I walked away slowly, turning my back on Jeongmin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I sat on the bench near the school alone, waiting for my mom to pick me up. I sighed and stared at the other people. Why are there so many couples here? They're making me more miserable. I'm being a grumpy old troll right now, but it just wasn't the right time to see them looking all in love. It made me sick.

 

 

I took a deep breath and grabbed my phone. I started to fiddle with it to distract myself. I opened my gallery and I unconciously open Minwoo's picture. My fingers grazed my cellphone, longing to touch him. But who was I to do so? Come to think of it, he was just my seatmate, and I was just the poor girl who fell for his sweet smile. My heart wrenched with pain and a tear fell down my cheek and I quickly wiped it and put my phone back in my pocket.

 

 

"Hana!"

 

 

I turned to the right and there he was. The person who my heart was so restlessly looking for. My heart skipped a beat as usual and my stomach flipped. I cursed my heart and stomach for doing so. After all the times I've seen him, why is it that I never got tired of him? My heart still does the same thing it did when I first saw him.

 

 

He smiled his million dollar smile and I felt the corners of my lips start to tug into a smile. There was a reason why I called him Mr. Smile. At that moment, I went into a state of bliss. His smile just made my heart jump. But then, I again remembered that someone else is making him smile more, and it had never been me. When will it be my turn?

 

 

"Yo." I said, forcing a small laugh. Nowadays, it was getting harder and harder to pretend I was alright, because as the days pass by, I'm getting sadder and sadder. I took a deep breath, trying to keep in all the tears which were about to flow out.

 

 

"Where are Hyunji and Jaerin?" He asked as he sat down beside me.

 

 

My hands started to shake lightly and my heart threatened to jump out. Please, stop it. I begged my heart. I used to like the feeling when he sat down beside me and I always felt happy and in love, but now I hated the feeling. Unlike the happy feeling it gave me before, now it only gave me pain. "They went home early." I tugged at a part of my hair and fidgeted with it. Please leave... you're hurting me more.

 

 

"Awwwwwww, loner." He smiled at me as he teased me. Me, playing the friend role, pushed him playfully and rolled my eyes. Minwoo grabbed my hands and I looked away as I secretly smiled. I then looked back at him and grabbed my hands from his grip. He pinched my nose and grinned. I stuck my tongue out at him and then looked at the ground.

 

 

I almost forgot everything. I almost forgot that he had a girlfriend. I almost forgot that I had no chance with him anymore. Almost... until I looked back up and saw that Jieun was slowly walking towards us with a dark expression. She must've seen us. Being the good friend, I slowly stood up and Minwoo looked at me with a confused expression. "Where are you going?"

 

 

I said distantly, looking at nowhere in particular. "I remembered that I have to go somewhere."

 

 

"I'll come with you." He offered.

 

 

I lightly smiled. "Just stay there... I'll be back, I guess." I lied. It was good to lie sometimes. I saw him nod and I proceeded to walk away. Jieun must've taken up the seat that I was occupying now. I could just imagine Minwoo's happy expression whenever he's with her. The one that never compared to the look he had when he was with me. With me, it was just normal. He was like this to everyone. With her, it was like his face could light up a thousand cities. When he saw her, it was like he was looking at his world. My heart squeezed again.

 

 

I took a small peek at them and saw that they were doing things that couples would do. My eyes shifted further downwards and I saw their entangled hands. I quickly looked away as tears started trickling down my face and at that exact moment, heavy rain started to pour.

 

 

I looked back at the couple and saw that they were scrambling back towards the inside of the school. Minwoo looked back at me and furrowed his eyebrows. "You're gonna get sick!" He shouted so I could hear.

 

 

"I'm fine. I like the rain." I said as I cried. He couldn't tell I was crying because it was raining and at these moments, I thank the rain. The rain, it comforted me. It made me feel as if I wasn't the only one feeling this way.

 

 

He nodded his head and grabbed Jieun's hand. They then ran. I wish I was in her position but sadly, I'm far from it. I just had to be the 'other girl'.

 

 

I walked slowly and trying to wipe the tears that were falling more and more. There was no use in trying anymore. Whatever I did, whatever I tried to do, Jieun would love Minwoo and unlike my situation, he would be there to love her back. Maybe I was just an obstacle that they had to face for their love to flourish. Maybe he was just using me in the first place to make her jealous. Maybe that was it.

 

 

Jieun can have him. He's happier with her anyway. Both of them are happy like that. At least, in their love, only I would get hurt, but if I try breaking them up then both of them would be hurt. Maybe it's just better this way.

 

 

But even if the situation is like this, even if I'm letting him go... it doesn't mean that I'm gonna stop loving him. It just means that I'll stop trying, because there isn't any reason to try anymore.

 

 

I tried to smile, but instead I cried even harder and screamed out in pain.