False Pretense

Pre-chorus

 

“I brought food. We all decided to take a day off and rest for a while,” Taeyeon said, erasing every trace of shock on her face upon seeing her ex-girlfriend on top of her sister.

 

Jessica got off Yoona as the younger girl stood up to take the bags of food that her older sister was holding.

 

Jessica swore she saw Taeyeon glaring at her and she was ready to shoot out her own daggers and create animosity but Yoona’s voice stopped that from happening.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie, this is Jessica-unnie.” She held the girl’s hand as the latter stood closely behind her. “Jessica-unnie, this is my sister but I’m sure you already know her.”

 

Both of them momentarily stiffened and stare at Yoona who was grinning from ear to ear. They only had one question in mind. Does she know?

 

“I’d be surprised if you don’t know the famous Kim Taeyeon,” Yoona added and the two felt relieved. “Have you eaten, unnie? We just finished eating with Fany and Yuri.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head and took the bags from Yoona. “You can eat this later when you get hungry again. I’ll go eat in my room.” Taeyeon smiled at Yoona hoping she’d just stay in her room with her ‘friend.’ Too bad her sister had something different in mind.

 

“Cool. I wanted to show Jessica-unnie your phonograph. She has one that looks exactly the same as yours.” She pulled Jessica with her as they walked towards Taeyeon’s room.

 

The shortest girl in the room was panicking. She really didn’t want to be in the same room as Jessica. She was sure Jessica was feeling the same way.

 

“W-why didn’t you just show her while I was still out?”

 

“I know you didn’t like people coming in your room without your permission.”

 

Taeyeon’s eye twitched when she remembered one of those rare times when she blew up and got mad at her sister for invading her room.

 

Before she could protest further, Yoona and Jessica were already inside her room and she thought that she might as well just let them be. The sooner they got in, the sooner they leave.

 

When she got inside, she saw Jessica running her fingers through her stack of records. It was her personal collection. She didn’t notice what Yoona was doing. She was too occupied with how Jessica’s fingers lingered on a particular record. It was her favourite out of the hundreds she’s got and would play it at times while she’s on Skype with Jessica.

 

She heard her sister sighing and when she turned her attention to the youngest, she saw her lying down on her bed. “I miss sleeping next to you, Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

She sat next to her but kept her gaze at their visitor who was still looking at her collection. “You sleep next to other girls now. You do more than just sleeping.”

 

“Unnie,” Yoona whined, blushing at her sister’s statement.

 

Jessica also turned red at the inappropriate comment.

 

“Tch, just because you haven’t brought anyone home yet doesn’t mean you could tease me about the girls I bring here,” Yoona said, pouting as she sat up and leaned on her shorter sister.

 

It was Taeyeon’s turn to blush and Jessica could literally feel herself heating up even more. She decided that it was best to pretend looking at the random things inside Taeyeon’s room than facing the sisters.

 

Taeyeon has only brought home one girl and that was Jessica. Yoona wasn’t aware of that because she was on an out of town trip with Tiffany and her best friend Yuri.

 

While Jessica was pretending to look around, she noticed that the stuff she’s given to the girl as presents were now gone. She caught sight of a familiar plush toy though. It was the Siberian Husky plush toy from “Gag Concert”, Brownie.

 

She picked it up and it, smiling a bit as she remembered how much she persuaded Taeyeon to buy it for her. Taeyeon never got the chance to give it to Jessica. She told her that she wanted to give it to her personally but she had to wait a few more months because they were busy at that time and she couldn’t fly to LA. They broke up even before she could give it to her and Brownie stayed in Taeyeon’s “custody.”

 

“Isn’t she gorgeous?” Yoona asked slyly when she caught Taeyeon staring at Jessica. She directed her grin at Jessica who was still busy with the plush toy. “Even when she does absolutely nothing, she’s still a sight to gawk at. Dibs, Taeng-unnie,” she teased further.

 

Taeyeon could only laugh dryly. She reached for her dinner and helped herself with side dish. “How long will she be staying?” she asked as she chewed on a piece of tofu.

 

“She’s moving out soon. We’ve finally found an apartment that she likes. Are you going to stay for the night?” Yoona asked.

 

“I have to go back to the studio but I think I’ll come back home tomorrow morning.”

 

“Tell me you’re not gonna drive while you’re sleepy, unnie,” the younger of the two warned.

 

“I won’t.” She chuckled and ruffled her sister’s hair. Sometimes she think Yoona’s older than her and she’s the younger one.

 

“Jessica, does your tummy still hurt?”

 

“Not anymore, Yoona-unnie.”

 

Yoona huffed. “I swear you two are so alike. That’s what Taeng-unnie does when I don’t use honorifics.”

 

Jessica turned around and met Taeyeon’s gaze. They both looked away and Taeyeon realized she’s been staring at Jessica’s back the whole time.

 

“I think we should leave your sister alone, Yoona.” She pulled Yoona up and both of them left after Yoona told her sister to eat well.

 

Taeyeon decided that after eating, she’d go back to the studio immediately.

 

Of all the people in the world, her sister just had to meet her ex-girlfriend that she’s been trying hard to avoid ever since the messy break up. She knew she had to do something about it.

 

She won’t just sit down while her sister make herself vulnerable and fall deeper into what might be a trap set up by Jessica. For her, it seemed like all of this would be too much to be considered a coincidence. Jessica had somehow planned to meet my sister.

 

Anger seeped through her as she jumped to conclusions. She thought Jessica must’ve done it to get back at her. She was genuinely pissed off mostly because she never thought Jessica would be capable of playing dirty.

 

In her head, she’s already formulated of what might’ve happened between the two. She walked towards Brownie and knocked it off the rack. She’s going to have to talk to her ex-girlfriend and tell her to leave her sister alone.

 

This is for your own good, Yoong.

 

 

---

 

 

I woke up in the middle of the night and carefully moved away from the girl sleeping next to me. It was a lot harder than I thought since she was hugging me real tight but with more effort, I was successful in getting off her bed without waking her up.

 

I found myself standing in front of Taeyeon’s room, my forehead against the door. If my sister or Hyoyeon see me like this, I would be getting a beating.

 

I really wasn’t expecting meeting her again so soon but just like that, it’s like all the feelings that I have for her that I’ve tried to push away came back when earlier today when I saw her again.

 

I thought of talking to her as soon as I get the chance. I wouldn’t want her to misunderstand my relationship with her sister. I certainly wouldn’t want her to think that I’ve planned this meeting. That would be horrible.

 

I knocked on her door but there was no response. What was I thinking coming here at this time? It’s two in the morning. Of course she’s asleep. I checked the doorknob to see if it’s locked and when I found out that it wasn’t, my hand automatically opened it. It might be because I’m still sleepy but I swear it’s like my hand has a mind of its own.

 

I entered the room but I was surprised when I didn’t see any trace of the older Kim. She must’ve gone back to the studio. What I did see was the dog plush toy on the floor. Did it fall? I picked it up and dusted it a bit.

 

This plush toy alone just brings back so much memory, good ones but also the most painful ones I can remember.

 

Mr. Brownie. It’s what we called him. I decided it was a male dog for some silly reason. I hugged Mr. Brownie and walked out of Taeyeon’s room.

 

When I tried opening the door to Yoona’s room, I failed to open it. I tried again but the doorknob just won’t budge. Damn, I must’ve locked it when I went out and closed it.

 

I sighed and walked towards their living room. I guess the couch would do for now. I lay down Mr. Brownie on top of the coffee table and puffed up the throw pillows.

 

I sat down and grabbed the plush toy before lying down and hugging it tightly. I guess I just have to talk to Taeyeon some other time to clear things up.

 

 

---

 

 

She unlocked the door and went inside only to find a figure sleeping on the couch and hugging her plush toy tightly.

 

She rubbed the back of her neck as she stared at the girl who was drooling on her plush toy.

 

She was still pissed off. This little thing only added up to that.

 

“Jessica-unnie?” Yoona came out of her room looking all groggy and rubbing the sleep off of her eyes. “Good morning, unnie.”

 

“Why is your friend sleeping on the couch?”

 

Yoona shrugged. “Why is she hugging Brownie?”

 

“Mr. Brownie,” she corrected but immediately regretted it. Her sister’s going to about it ‘til she begs her to stop.

 

“Mr. Brownie?” Yoona asked, giggling. “Well, it looks like she’s fond of Mr. Brownie. You wouldn’t mind letting her borrow it, right?”

 

“Sure. Just put it back in my room once she’s done drooling on it. Wake her up and tell her to sleep in your room.”

 

The younger Kim shook her head before kneeling in front of the sleeping girl. “It’s a sin to disturb someone in such a peaceful state.” She then crouched down and put one arm underneath Jessica’s neck and the other under her legs. She carefully lifted her up from the couch and was about to make her way to her bedroom but was halted by Jessica shifting in her arms.

 

The sleeping figure mumbled something incoherent in her sleep as she hugged the plush toy tighter while burying her face in the crook of Yoona’s neck.

 

Yoona grunted a bit and held Jessica in place. She walked towards her bedroom, careful not to trip on anything.

 

Taeyeon watched how her sister held her ex like she’s something that’s so precious and fragile. She chewed on her lip as she watched them disappear into her sister’s bedroom.

 

Her phone rang and she quickly answered it when she saw the name of their lead guitarist flashing on the screen. “Yes, oppa? I’ll come back there this evening. I just have to do something really important. Tell the others, okay? Bye.”

 

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. It was too early for her to have a drink and it frustrated her that she had to settle for a glass of milk to ease her headache.

 

After drinking milk, she decided that it was best to sleep for a few more hours. She was hoping Yoona had something to do that day so she’d have a small window of opportunity to talk to Jessica.

 

 

---

 

 

The small window Taeyeon was hoping for came in the form of a post-it note stuck on the fridge.

 

 

Can you please look after Jessica-unnie while I’m gone, Taeng-unnie? It’ll be quick. I’m just going to buy something with Fany and Yuri.

-Yoona

 

 

She left the note on the fridge instead of removing it. She poured herself another glass of milk and sat on one of bar stools inside their kitchen.

 

She didn’t have to wait too long to talk to Jessica. After a few minutes, the girl walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, probably looking for something to eat. She didn’t notice the other girl’s presence. When she couldn’t find any, she closed the fridge and was already scrolling through her contact list to give Yoona a call and ask her where she was.

 

“She went out with Fany and Yuri for a bit.”

 

Jessica turned her head to see Taeyeon taking a sip of her milk whilst pointing her finger at the sticky note. She read it and nodded her head.

 

“Look, I—“

 

“What are you doing here?” came the question that was thrown harshly by the older girl.

 

Screw the explanation, Jessica told herself. She certainly didn’t like the hostility that Taeyeon was blatantly displaying.

 

“I’ll be moving out soon as the papers with regards to the unit that I chose are all fixed.”

 

“You know that’s not what I meant, Jessica.”

 

“Why don’t you tell me what you actually mean then instead of being cryptic, Taeyeon.” She knew Taeyeon’s upset about something because of the milk. She rarely drinks milk and only does it when something bothers her but in all honesty, she didn’t care. What she cares about is why the older girl suddenly decided to vent her anger on her.

 

“What exactly are you plotting?”

 

Jessica really didn’t like where this discussion was going. Taeyeon’s tone of voice and how harsh she’s accusing her was not helping.

 

“I’m not plotting anything.”

 

“Really?” Taeyeon got up her seat. “Do you honestly think I don’t know what you’re trying to do?”

 

Jessica scoffed. “Okay, I’m tired of this . What exactly do you know that I don’t even know, hmm?”

 

“Could you stop pretending like you’re some innocent girl and that you’re oblivious of what my sister feels for you? You’re only doing this to get back at me. This is your sick way to have your revenge because I broke up with you. You’re using my sister to hurt me because you know very well that there is no one else more important for me than Yoona!”

 

Every word, every accusation that Taeyeo just threw at her stabbed her like a knife and before she knew it, she was already standing face to face with Taeyeon.

 

“How dare you and here I thought you know me better than that.”

 

“I thought I did. It turns out I didn’t know that side of you. That despicable side of you where you use a person’s sister just so you could get back at someone. How could you stoop so low?”

 

Jessica just wanted to beat up the girl in front of her. In fact, she was literally shaking in anger.

 

“I’m not using anyone,” she said using a tone completely opposite of what she was feeling.

 

Taeyeon laughed mirthlessly. “Stay away from her,” she finally warned.

 

“Why don’t you say that to Yoona? Why don’t you tell her to stay away from me? Just so you’d know I tried to avoid your sister. She’s the one who insisted on me staying here. Before you accuse me of plotting revenge against you, why don’t you ask her what exactly happened between the two of us and how many times I’ve tried to get rid of her.”

 

Taeyeon was taken aback. She never thought of that. This was what she gets from jumping to conclusions.

 

“You can’t tell me what to do, Kim Taeyeon. Not everything is about you and FYI, you don’t own me.” She would’ve walked away if it weren’t for Taeyeon’s response.

 

Taeyeon was upset losing an argument that she intended to win. She had the upper hand but she still lost. “That’s not what you said a year ago.”

 

Taeyeon felt a searing pain course through her cheek. Jessica just slapped her.

 

“You just don’t know when to stop talking, do you? Kim Taeyeon really does have a way to affect people just with words.” Jessica wiped the lone tear that stained her cheek and walked away.

 

 

---

 

 

“I still can’t believe you dragged us out at this time of the day to buy that stupid Siberian Husky plush toy,” said Yuri as she stared at her best friend from the rear view mirror who was currently sporting a broad grin.

 

“It’s not stupid. Jessica likes it.”

 

“Jessica this, Jessica that.” Yuri shook her head but she did have a grin that’s almost similar as her best friend’s.

 

Tiffany stopped the car in front of the building where the Kim sisters live. “We’re here. Next time you want to buy something, can’t you at least text us first before you come by to our house and wake us up with a freaking megaphone?”

 

“Why was there even a megaphone in your place?”

 

“I use it to wake up Yuri.”

 

“She uses it to give me a heart attack in the morning.”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. She found it to be such a big burden to live in the same roof with the girl. Yuri decided to move in just last week when she asked for someone to live with her because she was feeling lonely in her apartment but Tiffany was regretting it now.
 

“I’ll see you two on Monday then,” Yoona said and got off Tiffany’s car.

 

She saw her sister in the lobby as she entered the building. “Unnie, I thought you’d be staying long—what happened to your cheek?” Yoona reached out to touch her sister’s cheek but Taeyeon moved away.

 

“Nothing. I have to go. Oppa called and they need me at the studio.”

 

“Oh, alright.” The younger Kim didn’t press on and made her way to their apartment. She was greeted by the sight of Jessica packing her bags. “Uh, where are you going?”

 

“I’m going to be moving in today?”

 

“Papers are good?” She received a nod from the girl. “The place barely had anything in it. You’re going to sleep on the floor tonight?”

 

“I could buy a futon. It’s not a big deal.”

 

“I’ll help you move in then.”

 

“You don’t have to do that.”

 

“I want to.” Yoona grabbed the bag from Jessica but the latter took it away. She tilted her head to the side and stared at Jessica’s face. “What’s wrong? Are we back to you rejecting everything that comes from me again? I thought we’re done with that.”

 

“I appreciate your help. Really but I can’t…I can’t be dependent on you.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I just can’t, Yoong.”

 

Yoona knew something was wrong and so she walked towards her and wrapped her arms around the short girl. “What happened?”

 

Jessica shook her head.

 

“Okay, don’t tell me what happened but let me help you move in to your apartment.” She kissed the top of Jessica’s head and her back when she noticed the girl crying. “Hey, it’s okay.”

 

She suddenly heard Jessica’s familiar ringtone. “Do you want me to answer that?”

 

She heard a silent no. She grabbed the phone from the nearby dresser and checked who’s calling. “It’s Krystal.” She sighed and eventually answered it knowing that the younger Jung would throw a fit if she got ignored.

 

“What did you do to my sister?”

 

“I…” Yoona didn’t know what to say. She didn’t even know what was happening. “I don’t know.”

 

“Give her the phone.”

 

“I don’t think now’s the right time. We’ll call you back. I promise.” She hung up before Krystal could even protest.

 

She cupped Jessica’s face and planted kisses on it. “I’ll help you move and I won’t take no for an answer. I don’t mind if you don’t want to tell me what happened but I would mind if you go back to rejecting my help again. I don’t want to go back to that.”

 

Jessica ducked her head but didn’t give the girl any response. Yoona grabbed the bag containing the present that she bought for her.

 

“I got you something.” She handed the bag to Jessica. “I guess I have a reason to give that to you now.”

 

The older girl brought out the plush toy as fresh tears came fell on her already tear-stained face. “Yoong,” she whimpered.

 

“I saw how you clung to the one that my sister has so I thought you getting you one. It’s a bigger one. A lot more of it that you could cling onto.” Yoona chuckled when Jessica leaped onto her. “You’re getting used to leaping onto my arms like this,” she joked. “Are you really going to move in today?”

 

Jessica nodded.

 

“Alright. Let’s go move you into your new apartment.”

 

Jessica wiped the tears on her face as she watched Yoona hauling her luggage outside. She was still upset at what Taeyeon said earlier but she’s thought about it and Yoona just proved to her that avoiding her won’t do any of them good.

 

She wasn’t going to stay away from Yoona so Taeyeon could just it.

 

 

___

Caught a cold so I wasn't able to write an update immediately

False Pretense by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus