VI

Faith (a Halloween story)

 

 

It was almost midnight when Joon put the silver stray with the turkey on the branch they’d use as a table.

“Finally! I was about to go out and get myself a snack…” – Hyomin teased – “The Jang’s kid seem to be really healthy…”

Joon pretended not to listen. He knew she was just trying to annoy him.

“I will not give you your gift if you don’t behave.” – he spoke smiling – “Now, do you want to cut the…”

“Knock, knock” - Joon was interrupted by the knock on the door.

“I’ll see who bothers” – Hyomin spoke getting up. Joon right behind her.

“Wait, if anybody sees you…” – he tried to stop her, but it was too late.

The exact moment she opened the door, a wooden stake was stuck on her chest.

Hyomin stepped back, as many villagers entered the church.

“I told you! She cursed him! She seduced the priest to make him her slave!” – An old man, the one who had hurt Hyomin, spoke – “He’s no longer a God’s man!”

Hyomin took the wooden stake out from her chest. Damn thing had been stuck on the same place another one had a year ago, only not as deep.
She showed her fangs.
She didn’t have a reason to fight for her life then, but it was different now.


All the villagers seemed to be there. All of them with wooden stakes, hammers, shovels, torches…
They started setting fire to everything.

“They had turned this holy place into Devil’s nest!” – the old man shouted again – “It shall burn!”

It took Joon almost a whole minute to react.
If he didn’t do anything, the villagers would kill both of them.

“RUN!” – He shouted grabbing Hyomin’s arm. The wound on her chest not completely healed.

She obeyed.
It wouldn’t be that difficult to kill those people, but for some reason, she didn’t want to do it in front on Joon.
She didn’t want him to see the monster she was.

They ran to the back of the church, crossing the backdoor.

Joon locked the old door.
The villagers had already reached them. It was just a matter of time until they caught them.

“Bump, bump” – the villages tried to break the door open.


“Hyomin, you must run!” – Joon spoke, holding the door closed; sweat on his face, horror on his eyes.

He had never been truly afraid of Hyomin, who, as far as he knew, could rip his heart out of his chest at anytime, but a bunch of villagers had made him fear for his life and Hyomin’s.
It seemed like that villagers were the real “blood thirsty monster”.

“I won’t leave you…” – Hyomin replied weakly. The wound on her chest had not yet healed. She would need more time…

“GO!” – Joon shouted, as the villagers hit the door strongly – “they won’t hurt me!”

Who would hurt a clergyman?

“I…will come back for you” – Hyomin spoke, her voice still weak.

“I know…” – Joon’s voice was low, maybe she hadn’t even listened.
His chest felt heavy, his whole body ached.

Hyomin ran.
She ran as fast as she could.
She wouldn’t need much more time to heal completely, but if they caught her at that very moment, it’d be the end.