When someone only loves you as a friend...

Love of a Friend

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeuF3iEUG3Y

 

 

I don't quite remember the first day I met Lee Donghae, but I knew ever since then, we had become close. We just clicked like instant. I remember telling him that we were definitely meant to be friends. He smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up, saying that we'd be friends forever and ever. I smiled back at him and hugged him, "Always be my friend, okay?" He my hair and told me it was a promise.

 

 

He was the first person I called whenever I had a problem. He was the first person I called when I was happy. He was the first person I called for everything that happened in my life. Even if nothing did happen, he'd still be the first person I'd call. And we always had plenty to talk about. It became a daily habit, wanting to hear his voice. My heart slowly starting to flutter with each conversation of ours. Each call started to have more and more meaning.

 

 

We couldn't meet as often as I wanted to, but we made sure to keep in touch. Whenever we did meet, I always had a smile on my face and so did he. We were happy with each other and that was more than enough for me. Although our time was limited, it was fine, as long as I saw his face. I started to want to see him everyday and although it wasn't possible, I just wanted to see him as much as I could.

 

 

The day I regretted ever saying those words back when I was young was the day I realized what my feelings have shifted into. I knew it wasn't right when all those stupid love songs started to make sense. I knew it wasn't right when my heart skipped a beat whenever he messaged or called me. I knew it wasn't right when I was starting to see him a new light, when I was starting to see him... as mine. But I didn't want to tell him I saw him in that way, because I was afraid our friendship would be tainted. So, I loved him a lot, maybe even more than anyone could, but he didn't know, and it probably was best that way.

 

 

 

 

 

"I want you to meet my girlfriend." He told me with his mouth stretching into the biggest smile I've ever seen on him. It made my heart ache to see him so happy with her... a certain popular girl named Im Yoona. I know I should be happy that he's happy, but I can't avoid the pain on my chest. He grabbed her arm and pulled her lightly towards me. He looked at her with a lovesick expression, an expression that I always had when I was with him, an expression that he'd never seen me wear, because he was too dense to notice.

 

 

"Hello!" His girlfriend grinned at me and offered her hand as she introduced herself. I shook her hand and forcefully returned her smile. She was perfect for him, I could see. She was tall, beautiful and friendly. She was everything he was looking for in a girl. As much as I wanted to hate her for 'stealing' him from me, I just couldn't. I could only hate on myself, and at least I had the right to, rather than hating on her.

 

 

"So, we're going to the amusement park, want to come along?" He offered, but I politely shook my head. They definitely needed to have more alone time and I was going to break all of that. I forced a smile and waved a goodbye at both of them. The moment I turned my back on them, my face twisted into a look of pain and hurt, the look which I tried so hard to hide. I continued walking as my eyes started to water.

 

 

The tears started to fall down my face and I grasped at my chest, wanting for the pain to stop. I wiped the tears on my face as people were starting to look at me. "Are you alright?" I heard him call out. Instead of turning around, I flashed him an ok sign without even looking back. I broke into a run as the tears started to fall down uncontrollably.

 

 

I loved him so much... But we're only friends, not lovers. I could only cry as I run back to my house.