Please Forget Our Memories

Please Forget Our Memories

 

“Oppa!” I exclaimed happily, running to his arms and embracing him tightly.

“Hello yebo,” Kevin smiled.

“I made you this,” I said happily, handing him the gift I’d prepared. “Happy one year anniversary!”

“This is for you,” he handed me my gift.

“We’ll open them at the same time, okay?” I suggested, shaking the present in an attempt to figure out what was inside.

“Arasso,” he chuckled softly.

“Hana, tul, set!”

I tore into the package, but stopped half way through to see Kevin’s expression when he opened his gift. His hands carefully picked up the blue, hand-knitted scarf.

“This way you’ll stay warm!” I explained, taking it out of his hands and slipping it around his neck. Despite the fact that it was December and snow covered the ground, we both agreed that meeting here was only right. After all, it was where we first met. “Do you like it?”

He nodded, “It’s wonderful.”

I adjusted the scarf around him; our faces close enough for the first kiss we’d been waiting for. That was something I loved about us: our relationship was so innocent and fun. Not only did we share true feelings for each other, but we were also the best of friends. When a few months passed without a first kiss, we agreed to save it for a special moment. I just knew this had to be it.

“I really like you oppa,” I whispered, looking into his eyes.

Instead of a kiss, an answer, or even a smile, he pulled away, looking at the ground. “Now it’s your turn.”

I looked at him in slight disappointment, but proceeded to open the gift.

“It’s so cute,” I smiled, taking the pink photo album out of the box. “I’ll put all of our pictures in it!”

“There’s something else,” he gestured toward the box.

My eyes roamed over the inside of the box, finally picking up on something shiny hiding in the corner. I pulled the silver necklace out, staring at the heart shaped pendant in awe.

“It’s so beautiful. Oppa,” I looked up at him with heartfelt eyes. “You didn’t have to buy something so expensive… Oppa?”

It didn’t take a genius to know something was wrong. His eyes were glossing over and his mitten covered hands clench in fists.

“Oppa, what’s wrong?” I set the presents down on the bench next to us, slipping my arms around his.

“The photo book,” he spoke up. “Fill it with pictures of the people you love; friends, family… just not me.”

“W- what?” a lump formed in my throat and I held onto his arm tighter.

“The heart is yours,” he choked as his eyes grew glossier. “I’m giving it all back to you; every piece.”

“Oppa…” A chill took over my body and tears crept up behind my eyes. “A- Are you breaking up with me?”

His breath escaped him shakily, a tear slipping down his cheek. I reached a hand up to wipe it away, but he pulled back.

“I’m going back to America with my mother,” the heartbreaking words slipped from his mouth in a puff of steam, floating into the air. He swallowed, then looked right into my eyes. “For good.”

No words came to mind; only tears to my eyes.

“I need you to forget about me,” he slipped his hands around my neck, using a thumb to wipe away the tears. “Fill the book with all your new memories without me. And give that whole heart to someone who will be good to you.”

“But oppa,” I shook my head. “I don’t want to. I want to be with you.” I threw my arms around him, squeezing him tightly. “We were meant for each other.”

He held me tightly, rocking us back and forth. “Shhh,” he whispered uneasily into my ear. “There’s someone out there that loves you.”

“That someone is you,” I cried, holding fast to him.

“It can’t be anymore,” his voice broke. “And you can’t love me either.”

“We can call each other every day. I’ll send you letters and we can video chat. When I get out of school I’ll move to America and we can be together again!”

He pulled back, shaking his head. “I’m sorry for giving you a gift like this, but I chose this day for a reason. We met on this day one year ago in this exact spot. But now, a year later, we’re ending it on this day in this exact spot. The bad should cancel out the good. Please, never remember any significance of this day or this place. Think of it as anything else.”

“I can’t,” I stared at the ground, tears slipping from my cheeks onto the fluffy snow.

“Please,” he begged. “Forget all of our memories, and fill your life with happiness.”

“You are my happiness.”

“I’m just another person on the street to you now.”

“No!” another flood of tears came. “Oppa, jebal kajima.”

“I- I have to go,” he grabbed the necklace, slipping it around my neck and clasping it together. “Save it for someone who will take care of you.”

“Oppa…”

He handed me the album. “Fill it with people who care.”

“Kajima…”

“Take care,” he kissed my forehead. “Let’s get you a taxi.”

I trailed behind him out of the park and to the sidewalk. He hailed a taxi, giving me the money for the ride and telling the driver my apartment address.

“Make sure she gets home safely,” he instructed the driver.

“I’ll make sure,” the young man nodded.

“Kevin,” I grabbed his hand before he could close the door. “I love you.”

He looked at me painfully and his eyes reddened with tears once again. “Goodbye, yebo.” The closing of the door was the shattering of my heart.

“Oppa,” I cried, putting my hand to the window. I watched him standing on the sidewalk, staring after me as the taxi pulled away. My eyes stayed fixed on him until he was simply a speck in the distance. “I love you,” I whispered, more tears greeting my already dampened cheeks.

--------------------------

“Eli!” I giggled, slapping away his hand before he could mess up my hair again. “Hajima!”

“Annio,” he smiled, giving one of my brown, curly locks a tug.

“AJ,” I took my four year old son’s hand. “Stay close to Mommy, okay? New York City is a big city and we don’t want you getting lost.”

“Arassoooo,” he jumped up and down and I giggled.

*Kevin’s POV*

At first when I saw her walking through the subway, I didn’t recognize her. Her hair was shorter than before and she was much thinner. The little boy looked just like her, so I knew it had to be her son. I knew the man was her husband when he pulled her in for a kiss. My heart ached in sorrow, but also flooded with joy, knowing she had finally found someone who would take care of her.

As the family came closer, I began walking toward them. I kept my head down and pulled my blue, hand-knit scarf higher over my face. My heart sped up as we passed each other. I gave her back her heart ten years ago, but she still held mine.

“Oh!” I exclaimed as the scarf tightened around my neck. I looked down to see the little boy pulling on it. “Do you like my scarf?”

“It’s pretty,” he nodded, giving it another tug.

“Here,” I slipped it off, handing it to the child. “Use it well and stay warm, okay?”

“I will!” he shouted happily, clapping his hands and hurrying after his parents who had just turned around to look for him.

“AJ?!” she shouted worriedly. “AJ?!”

“Eomma!”

“AJ!” she ran to him, dropping to her knees and wrapping him in a hug. “I thought I told you to stay close to Mommy!”

“Look!” he smiled, holding up the scarf.

“Who gave you this?”

“A really nice man. Isn’t it pretty?”

“Ne,” she mumbled. She flipped over the end of it, revealing the small red heart that she herself had knitted in so long ago. The scarf slipped from her hands and she looked up with a desperate expression.

“Honey,” her husband set a hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Her eyes roamed across the crowd, meeting mine for a split second before I turned around.

“Honey?”

“I- I’m fine,” she replied. “It’s just; I could’ve sworn I made a scarf just like this for someone a long time ago.”

I turned back around to observe, keeping my face hidden.

“Well anything’s possible,” he replied, slipping his hand into hers. “Let’s get going. The show starts in just about an hour and we can’t be late to see your favorite band!”

“Arasso,” she smiled that bright smile that I missed so much. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” he smiled back, kissing her lips; those lips that could’ve been mine.

The three linked hands, with the child in the middle, and set off through the station once again. She turned around one last time in search for me, but I hid behind the information booth. After a few seconds I peaked back around the small building and watched until the three disappeared into the endless crowd.

“Thank you for forgetting,” I whispered, putting a hand to my aching heart. “And I love you too.”