the old mirror

Thru the Mirror (Another Story)

 

“So, you’re still here?”

“As you see.”

“I thought you’ve left if I were home.”

“Suppose so, but there’re some things I needed to do.”

“There’s nothing you can do here.”

“It’s not related to our home, silly. And it’s not related to you either.”

“Bah. You better go and leave this house.”

“I will. No need to worry. Once I leave, you will never see me ever again.”

“That sounds great.”

“Whatever.”

Nam Woohyun rolled his eyes to his wife who was dragging her luggage out their house. She didn’t look at Woohyun even for a glance and she shut the door closed with a loud sound. It made him mad. He who was still bringing his office suitcase threw it away to the door with anger. He breathed out heavily, almost could not make himself calm. He was like to destroy all things in this house of theirs. For him, right now, all properties in this house were not that precious. It was not a problem if he destroyed them. It wouldn’t affect anything.

He threw himself on the sofa. He still couldn’t make himself calm. The sight of his wife leaving the house filled his mind. He wanted her to leave, didn’t he? But why did it feel so frustrated to not have her here? Why did he feel that empty? Empty because her wife has left him? He must not regret that she left. It was his own wish, as well as her. There was nothing they could do to be together, there was nothing he could do to their marriage. It was horribly over.

Perhaps all people in this world couldn’t imagine how happy their marriage was in the beginning. Yes, they had a happy marriage. They have been in relationship since they were in high school. When he was 24, he decided to marry her. Time flied so fast, didn’t it? This year they would celebrate their 6th anniversary. Unfortunately, there would be no celebration this year. They two were already in their own paths, they were in different paths. Woohyun himself didn’t know what things made them going to an end. He found many things from his wife that annoyed him so bad, and his wife also found the same from him. Their relationship got worst in these past three months. They got into some fights every day, they often fought for something unimportant and it was the reason why they more hated each other.

Hating each other, Woohyun never thought of that before. They didn’t always get mad or fight over for little things in their relationship and marriage. If they did, it was not for a long time. It was like a minute and they would forget the fights. They have known each other for so long. They two knew each other so well. This time seemed that Woohyun and she couldn’t understand each other.

And now Woohyun didn’t get it why they two were like strangers.

Amazing, wasn’t it?

Woohyun closed his eyes and took a deep breathe. He hid his face with his palms. He has made something stupid, he had made his wife hurt and said to her that he didn’t want to live with her anymore. He was so cold like an ice, wasn’t he? He was like an ice but he still couldn’t throw away his feeling towards her. He still loved her. He couldn’t forget that fact. He really loved her that didn’t see her for a while made him go crazy. What should he do?

He heard a sound and he was surprised. He looked around. He was all alone in this house, who could be in here? He stood up and wandered around. Found nothing, he came back to the living room. Before he went back sitting on the sofa, he stopped. He saw a big mirror with golden fringe. It was there since forever. Since this house was Nam family’s, Woohyun used to see that mirror everyday. But today that mirror was weird.

Woohyun walked up to the mirror. He looked intently at it. He was surprised when he didn’t see his reflection.

What was happening?

He shivered. He was in fear. What the heck happened to this mirror? He blinked many times, thinking that maybe he was dreaming, that maybe his eyes were lying to him. But, yeah, that was all he saw. The mirror didn’t reflect him who was standing in front of it nor the living room itself. He only saw a white surface. It looked so empty. It looked broken, but he didn’t find any cracks on it. Anyway, how could it be broken? He didn’t throw anything to it since he was really mad, he hasn’t threw anything. In all this time, this mirror was forgotten by him. He barely saw it and realized its existence.

And now the mirror really took his attention.

Woohyun then slowly tried to touch its surface. Before he could do it, the mirror weirdly radiated flashy lights. With his beating faster heart, Woohyun stepped back and closed his eyes. Seconds later, the lights were gone. He blinked. Hey, what was that? He got confused. He was really curious what has happened to that mirror. Even he was scared, he forced his legs to walk, to walk toward the mirror. He wanted to touch its surface once again as he realized the mirror reflected something, but it was not him.

Not him in this time.

He gaped at what he saw. It was like watching a movie. He saw a scene that he was sure it happened long time ago. He saw himself in a white laboratory coat. He looked himself so busy in the mirror, but he didn’t even look at anywhere. He was busy with the things on the table. He prepared some test-tubes, pipettes, white rubber gloves, and some extract flowers. Beside him, sitting his wife who and was busy with her phone. She was also in laboratory coat. He and she in the mirror looked so young. Woohyun remembered the same scene happened long time ago. It was when they had a chemistry lab group work on the eleventh grade. Nothing different, it was all he remembered. But why could he see this scene right now? Did the mirror become a magic one that can show any real random scenes?

“Where is Sungyeol? I’ve told him to come on time. We can’t bring all these just two of us, can we?” she slowly hissed as she looked at the chemistry sets on the table. She checked the clock on the wall many times, looked outside the window many times and called on the other lines many times. She looked worried and restless.

“He’s overslept, probably.” Woohyun chuckled as he placed the pipettes neatly in the box. “Have you called Howon?” he looked up at her.

She sighed. “I couldn’t call him either. Oh dear, the lab work begins in fifteen minutes and where are they?” she sounded frustrated.

“Don’t worry. They will come. They two like to appear in the last minutes.” he tried to console her. He stood up and fixed his coat. “We can’t get this coat dirty or anything or we have to wash it cleanly or buy a new one.” he said, reminding her about their lent laboratory coats.

She stared at him in some seconds and complimented. “You look good in that coat.”

Young Woohyun smiled widely at her. “Really?”

She nodded. “Will you work as scientist in laboratory or something in the future?” she smiled.

Woohyun was frozen for some seconds. He felt his heart hurt to see his wife smiling. It’s been so long that he didn’t see that smile. He and his wife always fought almost every day in these three months. His wife had no reasons to smile at him since she was very mad and annoyed at him. She never smiled that so sincerely, like this, like he was seeing right now in the mirror. He always thought he would never miss her smiles. But right now he faced the opposite thing. He missed her smiles so much.

O-oh, dear.

“If you want to work in lab in the future, I will go with you.” he heard himself saying. He looked at him in the mirror. The young him smiled gently at her.

“So, if I work in lab, you will come with me?” she asked, smiling slightly.

“Yes, I will go wherever you want to go.”

“Promise?” she let out her pinky finger.

The young Woohyun walked to her, and linked his pinky finger to hers. He smiled. “I promise.”

He saw his wife smiling warmly once again. He never forgot what he has said to her that day. But, unfortunately, they were separated in work. He worked in a big broadcast company and she worked in school as a teacher. Even they couldn’t keep the promise, they were still together. That was more important thing for them.

And now, they were not together anymore. Would it make him feel any better?

Woohyun stepped backwards as the mirror radiated some flashy lights once again. He rubbed his eyes and blinked, and in some seconds, he got the mirror reflecting another clear scene. He got confused because he never saw and remembered this one. Now, he only saw his wife talking to his mom. They were decorating a big vanilla cake with slices of strawberries. Woohyun blinked in confusion. When did this happen?

“I get Woohyunnie busy with Sungyeol and Howon, Mom, so he doesn’t know anything about this.” his wife told his mom. They laughed together.  He blinked many times. He stepped closer and saw another thing on the table clearer. Candles with numbers 20. He blinked. So, this is when she gave me surprise on my 20th birthday? he thought. Woohyun never knew his wife was this close to his mom.  She even called his mom the same way as him. He never heard her calling his mom like this in front of him. Is this their little secret? He thought.

“Woohyun definitely will like this cake. So much strawberries.” His mom laughed as she stared proudly at her artwork. He saw his wife giggling cutely.

“I don’t understand why he loves strawberries so much.” His wife said as she picked the last slice of strawberries. Woohyun saw smiles didn’t leave his wife’s lips. She looked very happy. He felt his heart hurt.

“I gave him much fruits back then when he was a kid. He himself picked strawberries and said he liked it. Ever since that day, I always buy him strawberries.” His mom picked the candles and placed them in the center of the cake.

“Done.” His wife smiled brightly at the big vanilla cake. “He must be very happy with this cake, right, Mom?” His mom just smiled to see her excitement.

“You really love my son, don’t you?” his mom asked suddenly. His wife was frozen and blushed hard.

“I-is it obvious?” she stuttered. Woohyun could see his wife’s cheeks all redden and he could feel his warmer.

His mom smiled warmly. “I experienced the same towards Woohyun’s father. I know what you feel.” His mom chuckled. “I’ll be happy if you will be my daughter in law. Woohyun will be very happy to have someone who loves him so much like you do.”

She just smiled shyly. Her action just made Woohyun smiled bitterly. She looked so adorable. He then saw she checked her watch. “They must be coming in any minutes.” She changed the topic. Seconds later, the bell was ringing. His wife hurriedly brought the cake and walked towards the door. The door opened slightly, revealing Woohyun, Sungyeol and Howon who were busy arguing. They stopped talking as they saw her with the cake. The young Woohyun looked totally surprised. She smiled widely.

“Happy birthday, Woohyunnie!”

Woohyun smiled bitterly as the scene faded away.

How much he missed his wife, with those beautiful smiles of hers. This just made his heart hurt even more.

Tear rolled down his cheek as he saw another scene. Even he still thought that the mirror was weird and scary, he couldn’t stop himself to see the scenes appeared in it. And this time, the scene was when he and his wife celebrated their anniversary. He couldn’t forget it. He always remembered every celebration they had, not except this annual one. Woohyun bought her many presents that day. She really liked Teddy Bear and flowers, and books and one more thing, him singing.  He, that night, sang for her, as she just hugged her Teddy Bear and stared at him in admiration. Woohyun saw her face. His wife’s eyes flickered happiness, joyful and excitement. She must be very happy at that time, because her face was shining brightly and she couldn’t stop smiling.

“Yeobo, you’re the best!” that was what she said when Woohyun finished singing. She clapped her hands enthusiastically. Woohyun saw himself bowing a little to his wife and smiled.

“My pleasure.” He said, still smiling.

“Seriously, you should sing for me more often.” She giggled as he took a seat beside her.

He furrowed eyebrows. “Why should I?” he asked. He felt bit curious.

“So I can feel more happier.” She answered, and she still giggled like a little girl.

“So you don’t feel happy if you just have me? Without me singing?” he pretended to look hurt. She was shocked a bit and quickly shook her hands.

“No! That’s not it!” she said.

Woohyun plastered a straight expression and asked her. “So?”

“If you sing for me more often, I think I can be much happier. I always like your voice, so it will always make my day.” She said honestly.

He couldn’t help but smiled at her honest words. But he kept plastered a cold expression. “Really?” he asked coldly.

“Of course.” she replied with no hesitation. She stared at him intently to make sure that he would definitely believe her words. He knew her words were sincere, he knew she never lied to him. Woohyun saw himself, him in the mirror started to blush.

“Really?” he asked once again as he started to lean in.

His wife looked shocked. “Hey, what are you going to do? Really, I’m not ly—“ his wife couldn’t continue her words just because he tickled her sides and she burst into laughter. “Stop, Yeobo! I’m not lying, really! Hahaha~”

They laughed together. At last, Woohyun just hugged her tightly after planted a kiss on her forehead. “Happy 3rd anniversary, Yeobo.”

The scene faded away.

Ah, this mirror just brought back the sweet memories of them. He felt his heart going to explode. Too much feeling he felt. He couldn’t endure them. It was much worst as he saw the next scenes. They were not about their happy memories, but they were the scenes which he and she got into fights. It was more painful for him. He couldn’t believe himself to say such bad words to his wife. He caught some words like he hated her so much, he didn’t want to see her anymore, he regretted their marriage. He didn’t believe he could say such words to her after they created many good and memorable times together. He couldn’t believe himself that he said to her that he regretted their marriage. And he didn’t believe himself that he was the one who asked the divorce.

How could that happen? How could he be a heartless person?

He was such a bad man. He admitted it. Why was he so selfish? Why was he so stubborn? What did he keep asking a divorce while he still had feeling for his wife?

He cried even harder, realizing how precious their memories were, how precious his wife was. In that moment, he decided that this time, he would never let his wife go. He hurriedly rushed to the door. The feelings for her were overwhelmed.  He had to meet her, no matter what. He wanted her back, no matter what. He really needed her in his life.

Woohyun ran to the street. He looked around and tried to find his wife. She must be far away from here, he thought worriedly. He didn’t know where his wife went and he was bit afraid he couldn’t find her. There were many people on the streets right now. But he really knew her back looked like. It was like a magic when suddenly his eyes caught her back. He was frozen and stopped running. He didn’t remember what color of coat she wore, but he now knew that she wore a brown coat. Her hair was blown by the wind and from behind, he could see her fixing her hair. She kept dragging her luggage without even care about the other pedestrians. She walked not that fast but slowly but sure, she was even far away from him.

No, he couldn’t make this happen again.

Woohyun ran again, he ran to her. All his feelings for his wife made him crazy. It was like his heart would be exploded any time. He couldn’t take this pain anymore.

“Yeobo!” without saying another word, he hugged her from the back. His wife was so surprised that she lost her grip on her luggage. Her luggage also lost its balance and fell to the ground.

“Woo-Woohyunnie?” she sounded confused.

His heart hurt once again. He really missed her calling him ‘Woohyunnie’. It was like years she stopped calling him that nickname. He hugged her even tighter.

“I-I’m so sorry.” He couldn’t make his tears stopped rolling down on his cheeks. “I’m sorry that I’m so annoying, that make us getting into fights. I’m sorry for saying such bad words, that I want to live separated from you.  I’m sorry I can’t be a good husband to you. I’m sorry, for everything I’ve done which hurt you so much. I’m sorry.”

His wife didn’t say anything. She was frozen in his embrace. Even other people who passed by got confused to see those two in the crowd of people. They looked at them in curiosity and Woohyun didn’t care. He just cared about the lady in his embrace.

“But I’m hurt, too, you know?” he laughed nervously. “I don’t even imagine that without you, I will feel pains like this. I’m so late to realize that you’re precious for me. I can’t forget those good memories with you. I can’t get over you in my life. I need you.

“Would you forgive me? Would you come back to me?”

His wife slowly released his hands from her body. Woohyun felt his heart broken at that time. He wiped away the tears as he saw his wife turning around. She didn’t smile, she didn’t plaster any expressions on her face. She looked at him intently. All that he was worried about was that his wife couldn’t forgive him, and she would leave. His fantasy was like real as he saw his wife taking her luggage which fallen to the ground. She would definitely leave, he thought. She hates me.

“You really know what annoys me so much, don’t you, Mister Nam? You know what I hate, right?” she said coldly after she straightened her body.

You hate me

Woohyun took a deep breathe. This is over, over.

He kept his head down. He didn’t want to look up because he already knew the answer. This was hurt him even more. He thought everything would be alright, that he could have his wife back. But now everything was the opposite. He blamed himself for everything. He was so stupid. He was too busy blaming himself and he didn’t realize that his wife stepped closer to him. He then looked up. She still had no expression on her face. For his surprise, she let out her free hand and wiped his tears. He widened his eyes in shock.

“You know I hate seeing you crying. Don’t cry.” She said. She kept wiped tears on both his cheeks.

Woohyun blinked many times. “Y-you don’t hate me?” he asked foolishly.

“I hate you, Nam Woohyun. I hate you.”

With a slight smile formed on his wife’s lips, he then pulled her into his embrace. He cried once again. He was so grateful to have her back. He knew he would never lose her anymore. Never.

 

 

That night was like a normal night, like nothing happened, like no fights even exist between them. They had forgotten about what happened between them in these past three months. Everything was just like normal, like no one ever talked about divorce. As an exchange, they talked about many other things in their room. She was reading some books as she usually did before she slept and he was sitting beside her, looking at her intently. Every time he looked at her, he felt so happy. Nothing could compare what he felt right now. He smiled to himself.

“Why are you smiling?” she asked him. Even she looked like she concentrated in her reading, she still could see smiling him next to her.

He quickly shook his head. “Nothing.” He then changed the topic. “Are you thirsty, Yeobo? I can get you a drink.” He offered.

She giggled like a little kid, feeling happy about how nice her husband was. “Thanks, Yeobo.” She said and gave him a peck on his cheek. His smile went wider and he got up from their bed.

“I’ll be right back~” he sang.

He was bringing a glass of water as he passed the big mirror. He stopped on his tracks. He was still bit far from the mirror but he could see the mirror reflected the room correctly. It really reflected the room and every things in it. This mirror now works properly, eh? He thought. He stepped closer. He was still confused about what had happened this afternoon, anyway. How could this mirror reflect the past events? Is this mirror a magic mirror or something? Thinking about how weird this mirror made Woohyun shivered and felt frightened.

He was about to leave as he saw the mirror radiated any flashy lights.

As he has expected, he saw a scene.

He saw the scene clearly and somehow he got totally confused. The scene faded away some seconds later and the mirror worked like usual. The mirror reflected him who was standing in front of it with confused face. He couldn’t say he believed what he saw in the mirror but how didn’t he believe it anyway? So far, everything he saw thru the mirror was true. And this time… is it also true? A smile slowly curled on his lips.

He slowly walked toward their room. “Yeobo…” he called out his wife.

“Yes?”

“I think we will have someone living in this house.”

“Someone? Who?”

He smiled slightly. “A little boy. He looks like me. And oh, he looks like you, too.”

 

 

 

Fin

May 9th 2013