Wedding Day

Wedding Dress

I began to get ready for the big day. I put on my favorite white button down shirt, which I had ironed just this morning. I popped the collar just a bit so I could put on the best black tie I had in my closet. Tying it was always the hardest part. 

Great. I messed up again. Un-do it and try again. That looks about right. Okay, and pull it through. Ah ha! Finally.

Not looking bad. I put the collar down and buttoned up the shirt. Finally, I put on my black vest. The one I kept only for special occassions. This, of course, was the most special of occassions. I absolutely had to wear it. I took one final look in the mirror. A long, hard look. I turned away as the hot tears began to form at the corner of my eyes.

I walked down the hall to the little room around the corner. I poked my head in.

"Krystal, are you ready yet?"

She turned around. As she did, the sunlight shining in through the window hit her in a way that made her shine. Sparkle. As if she was unreal. A fairy or a princess from a movie. She was stunningly beautiful in her long white dress. It was sleeveles so it showed off her white as snow skin. As she stood the light did not falter. It stayed with her, creating a brilliant halo around her. Gorgeous.

"Amber, you know it's bad luck to look at me before the ceremony. I'm not even ready yet."

She looked ready to me.

"Come on Krys. You're going to be late. I'm starting to think I'm more nervous about this than you are."

She put on her white heels, making her a few inches taller than me. Just a few. She gracefully walked over to where I stood and looped her arm through my.

Kiss

"I love you, Amber."

For just a moment my heart stopped beating. Those words echoed in my head. They played over and over like sweet music, taking over my whole body.

"I love you too, Krystal."

Still arm in arm, we turned the corner and began to walk down the aisle. A crowd of people dreesed in their best suits and dresses stood and applauded. Krystal and I turned and smiled at each other. The joy in her eyes was contagious. The radiance of her smile was blinding.

The organ began to play the wedding march, my beating heart was the metronome to the upbeat music. 

After what seemed like a lifetime of walking by her side, we reached the altar. A handsome young man stood waiting for us, smiling warmly down at us. He took Krystal's hand and helped up the short steps before pulling her into him. I gave her one last toothy grin before walking back silently to take my seat among the spectators. I had a front row seat to the wedding of my best friend, and the girl who owned my heart.