|| One ||

When Night And Day Become One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mom headed straight for the chair in the corner when she entered the room. She sat down with a small smile in my direction and that was it. I wasn't sure what she was thinking; wasn't sure what her smile meant. The silence stretched on, and that was when a single tear escaped Mom's eyes and rolled down her cheeks. She immediately wiped it away knowing that I was looking at her.

"Mom." On reflex, I stood up from my seat and hurried towards her. "Are you -"

"I'm okay, Sweetie," she answered with another smile even before I could finish my question. "I'm okay."

I leaned down and hugged her. Maybe I did know what my Mom was feeling, after all, at least part of it.

I knew that she was having a hard time believing. That this day was finally here, that this day was right in front of our faces, and that this day was really happening.

I couldn't blame her. After everything that happened in the past, I had my fair share of doubts as well. I needed assurance. Assurance that all would be well. Assurance that fate was really on our side. Assurance that... this day was not a dream but the reality.

"Yeon," Mom softly said as she pulled away from my embrace. She gently reached for my hands. "Everything's going to be alright, Dear. Everything." She squeezed my hands as if she had heard my unspoken plea.

I forced myself to smile for her and nodded. I knew she wanted to be strong in front of me, so I needed to be strong for her, too.

Mom opened to say something else but she closed it before any word was out. Instead, she stood up and headed for the door. "Stop worrying, okay? It won't happen again. I'll see you later." And with one last smile at me, she stepped out, leaving me alone to my thoughts.

The moment Mom was out, my heart thumped in my chest. I knew exactly what I needed.

I scanned the room, quickly dismissing every item that wasn't what my eyes were looking for. After what seemed a very long time of searching, I finally found it, settled inconspicuously at the base of the table.

A small plain-looking box.

I sat beside it and settled it in my lap. I hadn't opened it since the time of the accident, afraid that things would repeat themselves. But now, I knew if there was a right time for me to revisit the past, now would be that time.

I took off the lid and placed it gently aside, my eyes transfixed on what's inside the box. Memories flooded through me as I carefully sifted through each of the material inside.

A sandwich wrapper, a scrapbook and a piece of paper.

I picked up the wrapper and a smile couldn't help plastering itself on my face when I remembered the memory that went with it. I laid it aside on top of the lid and took out the scrapbook next. It looked tattered and old. I can only imagine how much effort and sweat he had actually put into it and how long he had kept it

The recollection of the memory suddenly brought a tear to my face. I hugged the scrapbook tight and let the tears flow. It's okay, Jiyeon. Everything's okay now, I repeated my mother's words inside my head.

For a moment I let myself silently cry knowing I had to get all the uncertainties out of my system. Then I wiped my face clean and settled the scrapbook next to the wrapper. Finally, my eyes focused on the last object inside the box. My heart made a sudden jump as I slowly took the paper in my hands and unfolded it.

The tears that I had wiped just seconds ago flowed freely on my cheeks. I knew there was no stopping them now that I had read the first lines. As the torrent of familiar images rushed through me, I was pulled back into the memory that had started this all.


~~~

Ever since I could remember, life has always been about moving from one place to another because of my father's work. Whatever friendship I made, I always end up leaving it behind. I've gotten so used to it though that I didn't really mind anymore.

I was twelve years old then when we were moving again to a new place. It was in the middle of summer and the weather was very fine that day when our car rounded the corner and entered Fair View town. 

It was the first time that we were moving to a rural area and I couldn't help gaping at the sight that I was seeing. There were more trees here than all of the trees combined that I've seen in my life. The school was decently huge and I think I saw a lake in the distance while there seemed to be a beach on the other side of the town. There was also a forest beyond the lake. Wow. So many places to explore. It was the first time that I was excited about moving to a new place.

The car halted and I rushed out of it in excitement. Our new house was a two-story building that was in the middle of two other similar-looking houses, separated only by picket fences and a tall tree on one side. It had also a lawn and a small garage.

Without waiting for anyone, I grabbed one of my boxes from the back of the car and sprinted towards the open door, already having a room in mind.

"Hey, no fair!" Chris, my slightly older brother, called from behind me.

I ignored him and headed straight, running up the stairs. I eyed the two doors and remembered the tree from outside near one of the windows. I kicked one of the doors open and voila, one of the tree's branches was tapping the window.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter