Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday [Oneshot: Chunji]

 

A/N: This is written in Chunji's POV. I suggest you listen to this song while reading this. It is a songfic based on that. Hh. Also, I haven't re-read to check for mistakes. I apologize in advance. :)

 

Happy Birthday

 

It was another cold winter day. I was walking back from my friend’s house and I pulled my coat closer to me to keep me warm. I trudged along the sidewalk filled with snow, today’s date never leaving my mind. I blew a thick puff of air and pouted to myself. I looked up and stopped. I eyed the familiar area. I knew this place too well. A few more steps from where I was standing and just around the corner, a dainty little café sits. As much as I avoided it, I had to pass by to get home.

I sighed to myself and kicked a patch of snow in front of me. I started walking again, looking down to avoid the sight as I turned the corner. But fate had other plans. A light chime was heard and I reflexively looked up. The café.

My hands balled into fists as the memories rushed back.

FLASHBACK

It was a hot summer when I called Sojin to meet me at xxx café. It was such a beautiful day, I don’t know if I chose the right day to do this.

“Right day.” I repeated to myself. There isn’t ever a right day. But I have to do this.

I sat on a table at the back, dismissing the waitress, telling her that I’ll be waiting for someone. I kept tapping my feet under the table. I was nervous. I didn’t want to do this, but I had to. For Sojin.

I just recently graduated high school, and will be entering university soon. Sojin, my girlfriend, is an incoming senior high school student. We’ve been dating for almost a year. I really love her, and I want to be with her. But I can’t.

Going to university means I’ll hardly meet Sojin. Sojin is pretty and smart, a lot of guys will be after her; guys that will be able to be by her side. I don’t want to tie Sojin down. I want Sojin to be happy, even if that means I’ll have to hurt her in the process. Sojin, please know my heart.

I closed my eyes as I thought of it. I’m a terrible boyfriend.

“Oppa.” I heard a sweet voice say. I opened my eyes and smiled.

“Sojin-ah.”

“Oppa, hello.” She smiled at me, as she took the seat in front of me.

“Hello Sojin.” I smiled.

I called the waitress from before and she took our orders.

Sojin was telling me a story of what had recently happened to her. She loves telling me stories, and I love listening to them. But today, I just couldn’t take my mind away from the reason why I really called her here, and she noticed.

“Oppa.”

“Hmm?” I said, as I looked at my cake.

“Oppa is something wrong?”

It struck me. I couldn’t look up.

Sojin held my hand and squeezed it. I felt my heart in pain.

“Sojin, there’s something I need to tell you.”

“Ne?”

“I, can’t meet you anymore.”

Sojin’s hand loosened on mine. I wanted to take her hand and hold it close to my heart, but I stopped myself.

“Oh, is that so?” she laughed.

I looked up and saw Sojin’s face. I kept silent.

“Phew. I thought you were sick or something.”

Sojin was smiling, but I knew her too well. I could see the pain in her eyes. I looked away, I couldn’t take it.

“I’m sorry.” I said, almost incoherently.

“Oppa, can I ask you a question?” She said.

“What is it?” I said, still not looking up.

“Why?”

I froze. I knew she’d ask. I’ve already thought of a lie. I hoped she wouldn’t ask, because I didn’t want to say it.

“I just,” I started. “I just don’t love you anymore.” I said through my teeth. That has got to be the biggest lie I’ve ever said. Sojin, if only you knew my heart.

“Oh.” She said.

I raised my head and looked at her eyes. Tears were threatening to fall.

I wanted to punch myself for hurting her. Sojin is precious and fragile. She’s my angel. I promised myself I would never make her cry.

“Sojin, I’m sorry.” I took her hand and gave it a little squeeze.

Sojin smiled.

“I understand.” One tear fell, and my heart ached.

“Oppa, good luck in university. I hope you find a girl better than me. Someone you won’t get tired of loving.” She still smiled.

No, Sojin. There will never be a better girl than you. I will never be tired of loving you. Sojin, I love you.

More tears fell from her eyes, and my heart pained more.

I couldn’t take it. I stood up and hugged her. Sojin hugged me back and cried against my shoulder.

I pulled back and faced her.

“Sojin, I’m sorry. But don’t forget that you’ll always be special in my heart.” I told her, as I softly kissed her lips. Sojin closed her eyes and kissed back gently. I pulled back and hugged her for the last time.

Today, on this cold winter day, an angel was born. An angel that I’ve loved, but hurt. I still love that angel, I never stopped loving her. In that café from which the chimes rang, the angel and I shared many memories. It was her favorite café. In that same café, I made the angel cry, and I never forgave myself.

Today, I may not be next to you, but please hear my heart as it wishes you a happy birthday.

I sighed at the memory. I walked up to the café and placed my hand on the door. I breathed in the courage to open it. I pushed open the door, and when I looked at the table where I made the angel cry, I saw an angel smile at me, and I couldn’t help but smile back.