Prelude

A Thousand Letters

 

 

 

Words only go so far.

Ryeowook tossed another travel worn, unopened letter into an overflowing bin. Every morning and night, he would find himself blankly staring at them, curious as to what was written inside. But then he remembered why it shouldn’t matter what was written in them.

Those words were lies. Those feelings were false.

It seemed like everyone was like that. He glanced at the calendar, wondering when he should start applying for the abroad program. Was it even worth going?

He flopped down on his bed, closing his eyes and forcing sleep onto himself.

 

***

 

Kyuhyun looked around his single person dorm room and wondered if he was thankful or not. Even if Zhoumi was an , he was company. Now there was simply no one around. He stared at the pile of paper on his desk and the pen which was beginning to die from excessive writing. No matter what he did, it just wouldn’t work, would it?

Sitting down on the bay window sill, he sighed. Only a month had passed since everything ended and he couldn’t even begin to think about a lifetime without ever talking to Ryeowook again.

The bell around his neck rattled, and he wondered if the matching pair had already been thrown away.

 

***

 

Donghae jolted awake, head whipping around the room wildly. There was no one around in the early morning, nor was there even a flicker of a shadow on the pale blue pools of light staining the carpet. He bit back the pain invading his chest, and tried to shake off the bitterness.

It wasn’t like him to be so broken down. Emotions always ran rampant inside of him, but this was different. He couldn’t stop thinking about his mistakes. Were they even mistakes? He didn’t know. This was what he wanted, so why couldn’t he go even one day without hearing those words.

Thank you for taking care of me this long. I truly appreciate it. Goodbye, hyung.

“What did you look like when you said that?” Donghae muttered, curling into himself quietly.

 

***

 

Henry stared at the school building, a queasy feeling in the pit of his stomach. It was large and intimidating to say the least. There were no similarities to the Korean high school he had come so close to attending. Here, everyone was wrapped up in their own worlds and as he looked around at his schoolmates, he noticed the way they smiled a little too big and laughed a little too loudly.

Some kids his age greeted him upon his entry into the classroom, and just as politely, Henry spoke to them. Nothing important was said and nothing sincere could be identified.

Still, he gazed all around the room, it was better than being near that boy.

 

***

 

Eunhyuk didn’t really think anything of it. He wanted to live his own life and if everyone else was doing just that, why couldn’t he? It seemed like Ryeowook was doing fine without his support anyway and besides, it was too much work to constantly check up on the kid.

Dancing, playing music, and casually hanging out with people were much better. He didn’t need that ty drama. It felt great to just be goofing off with some normal people who weren’t in love with each other or ing around.

Loyalty is just a word.

This isn’t a fairytale. Eunhyuk didn’t feel up to playing the best friend anymore. He deserved some sort of happiness and damn it to hell if he didn’t get that.

 

***

 

Sungmin had tried talking to Eunhyuk about everything because as best friends they were supposed to be able to support one another, right? But whenever he did try to talk to him, the atmosphere was never serious enough, and recently, Eunhyuk had simply been too busy for anyone but his new friends.

It wasn’t like Sungmin could talk to Donghae about his problems, especially since those problems partially had to do with him. There entire group had fallen apart because of Sungmin. If he hadn’t said anything about his feelings for Donghae, then all of them couldn’t continued being happy together. Even though they were a couple and they were supposed to be happy, they weren’t. Sungmin wasn’t stupid. He could see it in Donghae’s eyes.

But…they had destroyed friendships for their relationship. What would happen if they didn’t keep trying?

 

***

 

Zhoumi had gotten everything he wanted.

Henry came back to him.

They were attending school together.

Kyuhyun broke up with that country bumpkin, Ryeowook.

And so far, Kibum was only focused on wrecking Kyuhyun’s attempts to get back together with that low-class loser. That meant he wouldn’t be trying to mess with Henry.

How much better could Zhoumi’s life get?

He didn’t even care that Henry was still probably in love with Donghae. Over time, that would change. They were never anything special to begin with, after all. He and Zhoumi made the only logical couple.