Late Night Encounter

Forbidden Meeting

It was another night and Luna the moon fairy was wandering around where the moon shone. She was thinking back to what Asrai, her best friend who was a water fairy, did the other night. She had witnessed a forbidden meeting between fairies and human. Even more forbidden, she Marked him with her symbol three swirls like the ripples in the water in the Lake. One where she put her finger on and the other on his wrist, then had Luna carry him by moonlight to bed.

When Luna returned, Asrai was sitting on the Lake like a love struck fairy, “What you did was forbidden,” Luna had says, “Interacting and Marking him. It’s like you want to be turned to water.” She shakes her head at Asrai.

“Has a human ever look so beautiful?” Asrai asked.

“Your safety is at stake and you care only about a silly human?” Luna fumed; losing her best friend was not something that she wanted, centuries of secrets and inside jokes would be lost.

“Wait until you see a handsome human, you’ll be just like me!” Asrai yelled. Luna had floated back to the moon to think.

Luna drifted toward a familiar place; this is where I put the human… she thinks letting curiosity get the better of her. She peeked through the window and saw a human boy, not the one from the other night. He looked peaceful; Luna went through the window and hovered above the human, entranced by his handsome looks.

Suddenly his eyes snapped open and they both screamed Luna flew back in surprise, “What are you doing?” he yells in a hushed voice.

Luna blinked and stared, “What’s your name?” the human asks, “I have to report you to the teachers for sneaking into a boys’ cabin.”

“Lu…Na.” Luna says unsurely. She was breaking the rules! Interaction and speaking with a human, not even in a human form!

Realizing that he was staring at her, Luna jumped out of the window and disappeared into the moonlight. The human boy stared out the window puzzled, “Hey, SungYeol, get back to sleep! It’s only 12 in the morning!” SungGyu says while glancing at the mirror.

“Would you stop staring at those marks on your head? You get back to sleep!” he shouts before rolling over to fall back asleep.

~~

“SungYeol, I found a lake in the forest when I wandering around yesterday! So I was thinking why don’t we go for a swim tonight?” a friend asks and SungYeol blindly nods, his thoughts were on hat girl he saw last night.

Right when he woke up he went to a teacher to say that a girl snuck in his cabin but was told that there was no girl named Luna that attended the trip.

It was midnight and SungYeol was ready for a dip, to forget about the girl. SungGyu decides to tag along for some reason. It turns out that the guy who found the lake had a horrible sense of direction so after a while everyone gave up and started to head back.

SungGyu pulls SungYeol to the side and whispers in his ear, “I know where the lake is, you want to ditch these guys and go for a swim ourselves?”

SungYeol shrugs and allows for him to be dragged through the trees. SungYeol and SungGyu reached a clearing with a Lake and saw a girl dancing on the water. SungGyu smiles dreamily and walks to the edge of the Lake. SungYeol on the other hand follows a beam of light that had caught his eye when they arrived.

The light led him to a tall tree, where he saw a girl sitting on the branch singing. This girl wasn’t an ordinary girl, from what SungYeol learned, her name was Luna.

“Luna!” he yells from below.

The singing stops and it seems like the time did too. Luna looked down at SungYeol, her eyes widened when she saw the boy from last night looking up at her. Her first instinct was to run but she stayed put. This boy had an effect on her, “What are you?” he asked.

Luna floated down effortlessly down to be face to face with him; he stepped back and stared at the glowing fairy. “Take a guess.” She smirks, feeling a bit bold. “A mythical creature who can fly and stalk humans.” He blurted instantly regretting it. The face she made was unreadable; it was a fairy thing her porcelain-like skin creased as she thought.

She was breaking so many rules, Father would not be happy, oh dear. Death would be the consequence, Luna knew what happened to fairies that died, they either become a spirit or they become the element they were born with. For example, if Asrai dies, she becomes water, if Luna dies; she becomes the light of the moon with no ability to roam freely.

“Am I right?” SungYeol broke the silence.

“Hm? Uh, yes- I mean, no- oh no, god shut up, darn, agh!” Luna stammered causing SungYeol to laugh.

“You’re funny, Luna. But are you really a mythical creature? Like a nymph?” he asked, breaking Luna’s line of mental cursing. She scowled, “Fairy, not nymph. Nymphs are stupid little fairy dwarves who so nothing but bother us fairies, they don’t even have wings.”

“Oh well sorry.” SungYeol says.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping, human?” Luna asks.

“Yes but I thought that I would swim, no point now.” he replies. Suddenly, he falls on the floor, faint and limp.

Luna smiles, “Well then, you should sleep…” she paused, “What if he had something to say to me?” she wonders then shrugs and drags SungYeol’s body to the cabin. She left his body on the floor before sitting next to him. If Asrai Marked a human without consequences, maybe she can too.  She leaned down and planted a kiss on the back of his ear and placed her index finger on his chest on the right side.

The Mark glowed a bit before turning black. “Humans are so interesting. They can capture the heart of an immortal… I better go find Father.” With that she floated out the window and looked back at SungYeol’s sleeping figure and smiled.

~~

The next morning SungYeol woke up with an aching back. He sat up and groaned. Hello, human, I never got your name. A voice says, it sounds like it was whispers directly in his ear. “SungYeol.” He says quietly.

Oh, okay… SungYeol…I’ll see you tonight. The voice says, suddenly SungYeol felt a bit cold. The voice made his insides warm up. “Yeah, see you tonight.” He murmurs.

“Who are you talking to? Its only 6 in the morning.” SungJong rubs his eyes and looks tiredly at the older, “And why are you on the floor?”