Love At First Flight

Bird in A Cage

Baekho woke up, rolling over with a groan as he remembered what day it was. It was the first day of school, of his last year as a student. A grin took over the boy’s face for a moment before he sat up and hauled his body out of bed. He couldn’t wait to get back and see all his friends, the three boys that always sat outside, under the large tree. Baekho and the oldest member of their group had met there just a year ago. Aron was two years older than him, and yet was still in the same grade which the blonde-haired boy thought quite amusing. The other two, JR and Minhyun kind of just appeared out of nowhere and started sitting with the pair under the tree with the funny roots. It was their favorite place, because for most of the time you couldn’t be seen as you sat under the roots, with plenty of space above you if you were on your knees and yet when under there you could see everything that was going on around you. Baekho dressed lazily, pulling on the white button up shirt and black pants that served as the school’s so called uniform. Not many people seemed to wear it these days but no one cared. Baekho only wore it because it showed off the muscles in his upper arm, and he liked that.

With unimaginable amounts of gel in his Mohawk shaped hair the boy left, calling out a hasty goodbye to his mother before racing for the bus. Finding his normal seat Baekho sat and waited until the bus arrived at JR’s stop and he stood, waving the eye-liner wearing boy to the back of the bus before pulling him down and punching him on the arm as a greeting.

“Hey Baekho!” JR laughed shoving the boy off of him. Baekho sat back, his arm resting along the top of his chair, catching the stares of a few of the more confident girls. He grinned at each of them before turning his head to stare out the window. JR talked about some new student that was supposed to be showing up, someone he had to let tag around behind him but Baekho really didn’t listen. At that moment the most beautiful person alive had stepped onto the bus, swiping blonde locks from their face.  The blonde-haired beauty sat down at the front of the bus, leaning their head against the window, a small pink-shoed foot hung from the end of the seat the person occupied. Baekho elbowed JR and pointed at the blonde head, a grin lighting his face again. JR raised an eyebrow and had a good look.

“I’ve never seen her before…” He mused, still observing the form. “She has good taste in shoes.” He nodded, letting out a short laugh.

“I’m gonna say hi.” Baekho said, shoving JR out of the way and making his way down the aisle of the bus with his chin high. He swept the girl’s leg off the seat and sat down beside her, reaching up to brush blonde hair from her face to find glaring eyes staring at him.

“Well hello beautiful.” He muttered, unaffected by the stare, leaning back in the seat and reaching an arm across the shoulders that seemed just a little too big. “You heading to Pledis High?” He asked, his lips knowing that the girls loved it when he did that. The blonde head nodded, black eyes turning back towards the window. “Alright sweety. I hope we have some classes together.” He winked and returned to his seat next to JR. “God she’s hot.” He muttered, closing his eyes. The dark haired beside him merely raised an eyebrow, grabbing up his bag and stepping off the bus, striding off ahead into the school without saying a word to Baekho. Later that morning, Baekho discovered two things. 1.) the girl was named Ren and 2.) they had science class together. As the bell rang for first lunch, the three boys waited by the roots of the tree for JR and the new student; Baekho boasting about the girl on the bus to the two boys. Aron slapped him hard on the back with a word of congratulations, Minhyun just chuckled and leaned back against the tree.

Minutes passed by and soon JR appeared, the blonde head from the bus walking behind him, eyes staring at the ground. JR waved and led the new student towards the group before introducing the three boys.

“Ren, this is Aron, Minhyun and Baekho.” JR gestured to each boy in turn, Aron and Minhyun both offering bows, Baekho stood and stared for a moment, his mouth agape before he too offered a bow.

“Nice to meet you.” The voice did not suit the face, Baekho thought. It was sweet, yes. But it sounded nothing like a girl’s voice should.

“Nice to meet you too Ren. Do I hear an accent?” Baekho asked, tilting his head to the side. Ren blushed a little and lifted a hand to his face to brush strands of blonde hair from his cheeks before nodding lightly.

“Ren is from Busan.” JR said

“Oh like me!” Minhyun cried and pulled the younger boy into a hug. Ren’s eyes widened, and arms stayed by his side as the older boy embraced him, leaving JR to laugh, prying the boy from Ren.

“Minhyun, gentle! Ren is not invincible like Mr. Muscles over here.” Jr shoved at Baekho who pushed back, the two boys falling to the ground in a wrestling match, laughing the whole time. Ren stood back, his eyes wide as he watched the two boys on the ground, rolling over each other. He wondered for a moment if Baekho was gay, but brushed it off as he saw the boy sit up, his hips over JR’s thighs, throwing a grin and wave at a group of girls who giggled, waving back. The blonde haired boy shook his head, quite unaware that Baekho had thought he was a girl.

As the wrestling match finally finished, the two dark haired boys stepped forward to help their peers up and Baekho turned to Ren to invite him inside. “Come see the man-cave Yodongsaeng!” Baekho laughed, taking hold of the blonde’s hands and pulling him under the roots and into the hollow under the tree. Ren followed, confused, wondering why Baekho had just called him younger sister. From what he had heard from JR he should expect those mistakes from Aron, the only foreigner in the group.

“There’s a lot of space.” Ren said impressed as he looked around. Baekho nodded and sat, motioning for Ren to join him, and so the boy did, sitting down beside the boy.

“There sure is.” Baekho leaned against the younger boy’s arm. Ren looked down at the silver-blonde hair an eyebrow raised lightly, mirroring the expression on an amused JR’s face. JR, of course, knew Ren was a boy, but just had failed to tell Baekho so, and with the current turn of events he thought it more entertaining if he kept it to himself.