As high as you can go

Portrait of a Portrait: Soft Hands

 

Nayeon was standing on her toes, arm streched out to the farthest length anatomically possible. She was trying to reach for the action figure box on a high shelf. But she just couldn't quite stretch that far to get a hold of it.

At first she looked around her, hoping to find a stool to stand on, but there was no such thing nearby so that's why she huffed and puffed as she stood there, completely helpless. I really hate my height right now. Why can't I be a bit taller?

One last attempt.

Nayeon stood on her toes, reached out her hand, and this time she could almost touch the box, but then someone else's hand reached out for the same box. Nayeon didn't turn her head to watch who it was, her eyes were on the action figure. To her surprise the action figure was coming her way.

„Did you want this?“ a boy's voice asked.

„Yes-yes, thank you.“ Nayeon twitted as she reached for the box and took it into her hands. She hugged it close to her chest.

„Did you really want that that bad?“ the boy continued.

Finally Nayeon turned her head to look at her helper. Her eyes widened. He's so tall! And handsome. The girl's heart rate accelerated.

When Nayeon didn't answer but instead just stared at the boy the latter got a bit nervous and confused.

„Is there something on my face?“ he asked touching his cheeks which, by now, were turning red.

„Huh? Ah...n-no. I just...I- Yes I wanted this really bad.“ Nayeon finally blurted out something. „Again – thank you.“ she bowed one last time before walking away. I'm going to melt!

 

The boy swallowed the lump in his throat, It's now or never, cowboy! grabbed the same action figure from that dreadful high shelf, and followed after the girl.

„Wait! Could I... know your name?“ He asked as he stepped next to Nayeon. You're just asking her for name. Why are you so nervous?

„Byun Nayeon.“ she answered glancing at the boy.

„What a pretty name. I'm Hwang Minhyun. Nice to meet you.“ Minhyun said as he flashed a smile. Now it was Nayeon's turn to change color. Someone help me!

„N-nice to meet you, too, Minhyun-sshi.“ the girl bowed.

„Call me oppa.“ Minhyun smiled.

„But we just met!“ Nayeon protested.

„Not really...“ Minhyun looked ahead. Dude, you'll blow your cover! Stupid!

Nayeon looked at the boy: „What do you mean?“ But the boy didn't answer so she didn't give a second thought to it.

 

She looked what Minhyun was holding in his hands – the same Optimus Prime figure!

„Hey, you're buying that one, too?!“ Nayeon got excited and pointed at the box in Minhyun's hands.

„Uh? Yes... „Transformers“ is my favorite movie.“ Minhyun answered awkwardly.

„Mine, too!“

 

And so the two of them found something to talk about to kill the awkwardness and shyness between them. Though they really had just met they still spent the rest of the day together talking about the things they like. To Nayeon's surprise she had a lot in common with Minhyun. By the end of the day they were like old friends knowing everything about each other! Well, almost.

 

When Minhyun got home he was smiling like an idiot. I finally did it! I talked to her and I-almost-blew-it but she liked me! I can't believe it!

When Nayeon got home she was also smiling and giggling to herself. She even danced around her room. Minhyun is so handsome and he actually likes the same things like me. Now I will not die alone! I can't believe it!

 

The next day Nayeon couldn't believe it either – she didn't see the boy nor heard from him the whole day. She called but his cell was turned off. Of course she thought Minhyun had just tricked her and made her believe that he actually had interest in her. But the answer to this problem was quite simple.

When Minhyun woke up next morning he had a fever, a high fever. He's little act of courage yesterday had really got him. That's what love does to you sometimes.

Minhyun spent his day in bed, sleeping. He thought he'll wake up during the day but instead he slept 'till night so there was no way he could have told Nayeon that he couldn't come to meet her.

Just to clear things out before tomorrow he sent her an apology message though it was late night. She got it and an answer came right away saying: It's OK :).

 

When Minhyun went to their meeting place the next day he found that the girl wasn't there. Is this some kind of a joke? She said she was on her way. He called – the phone was turned off. Is she pranking me for yesterday?

 

He didn't hear from her the day after that either. One thing he heard were some girls talking at school that there had been a car accident not so far from their meeting spot. First thought crossing his mind was that something had happened to Nayeon. Sadly he was right.

Minhyun went to the crossroad where the accident had happened. When he was walking around the place he noticed a familiar item on the road leading to an alley-way. Nayeon's phone. It was broken. He picked it up and looked at the phone charm. She made it by herself...

A bitter feeling took over him. She was on her way here...when... It's my fault. I shouldn't have called – she was distracted. Minhyun walked home feeling horrible. He didn't sleep well.

This all went on for two weeks. I should have asked her address...

 

Today Minhyun was walking up to the park bench which supposed to be his and Nayeon's meeting place. He was still scolding himself about everything.

When Minhyun raised his eyes he saw that the bench was already occupied. He didn't care he still went up that way and lowered his head for the hundredth time today.

 

Minhyun sat next to the person sitting on the bench not looking at the other's direction.

„Hello, handsome.“ a familiar voice addressed him.

Minhyun's head shot up. He couldn't believe what he just heard.

„N-Nayeon?“ he stuttered with a shaky voice.

„Hi.“ the girl breathed.

„You're... are...“ Minhyun forgot how to speak.

„I am what, oppa?“

„You're OK. You're fine! Everything is fine.“ Minhyun piped up and hugged the girl.

„Ow-ow-ow. I'm not that fine...“ Nayeon squeaked.

Minhyun realized what he was doing and blushed.

„S-sorry.“ he apologized pulling away.

He sighed with happiness looking at the girl.

„So... what happened?“ Minhyun asked looking down at his hands.

„You've probably heard of the car accident.“ Nayeon started. Minhyun nodded still looking down.

„Well, I got hit by a car...“

„I shouldn't have called you...“ the boy mumbled.

„Why?“ Nayeon got confused.

„Because of me this happened.“

„What? No. I got hit long after you had called! It wasn't your fault! Besides I was lucky – I only got some scratches, no broken bones... Minhyun?“ the girl looked at the boy.

The latter was still in the same position.

„Minhyun? Oppa?“ Nayeon took the boy's hand trying to get his attention. His hands are so soft...

The boy was awoken from his daze. He finally looked at the girl.

„You know I love you, right?“ Minhyun said with full sincerity squeezing the girl's hand.

„You... love... me?“ Nayeon pointed at herself with her free hand.

„Yes. Remember the time we met?“

„Huhuh.“

„Remember I asked you to call me oppa even though we had just met?“

„Yes... and you said 'not really'?“ Nayeon recalled.

„That's right. The reason was that I had been watching you before we met somewhere about a month.“ Minhyun said and then quickly added: „Please don't get angry.“

Nayeon just smiled.

„I know I should run away because that's creepy... but the thing is that I'm as guilty as you are.“ she said after a while. „When you weren't watching I stalked you.“

Minhyun looked at Nayeon with wide eyes. „You did?“

„Yup.“ the other admitted.

„Because I... love-you-too.“ she quickly whispered.

 

Minhyun put his arm around Nayeon's shoulders and the girl rested her head on his shoulder.

 

This park isn't called Destiny's Way for no reason.