Final

The Arrogant Gorilla

 

“Mina! Mina!” I heard someone yelling my name as I was wandering around the airport terminal, ready to find a corner to settle in while I wait for my connecting flight to San Francisco.

“Mina Song!” the voice seemed nearer as it was before. I hastily turned my head around to see who the voice’s owner could be. I turned and saw a guy smiling widely at me and waving while trying to get my attention.

I must admit that he got the looks, nice smile, built body, and tall. Who could this be? I don’t recall ever meeting him so I hesitantly point at myself, making sure I am not being a delusional and imagining all these.

 

He nodded his head vigorously that it I thought his neck was going to snap and his head would come off in an instant. He continues on waving like a gorilla trying to shove his way out of the large crowd of travellers.

 

Oh gosh, he’s cute and all that but why must he act that way? “Mina, wait for me okay? Stay where you are!” he yelled as people around me stared at us as if we are some kind of lunatics.

I started to cover my face and duck my head to save some of my remaining pride. I turned my back and walked hurriedly the opposite direction trying my luck of escaping the source of my embarrassment when suddenly, someone grabbed my arm and turned my body, I was greeted by the cute-faced, gorilla-acting guy who is now grinning like an idiot while shaking my shoulders.

“ahhhh!!!! It is really you mina!!!!!” he squealed, sounding like a fangirl about to faint, and I thought I’ve seen his worse! I am not about to spend my six hour layover in this shop-filled airport with this gorilla so I angrily snapped at him,

 

“Will you please stop squealing and acting like a gorilla?!And I have no idea who you are so leave me alone!” He looked shocked and widened his eyes, which I find cute, wait, hold up, did I just described this gorilla as cute?! Eww!

 

He suddenly grabbed my face, forcing me to look at him and said, “ You! Mina, can not remember me?ha! THE great Micky Park!? Do you even know how many girls would kill just to be in your position right now?!”

Wow, what an arrogant gorilla this guy is! I was slowly getting more annoyed each passing second so I angrily asked, “ And who are YOU in this world that girls would KILL just to be embarrassed like this?” His grin is starting to fade and I can tell that my lack of recognition of him, whoever he might be, is aggravating him.

 

“You really don’t remember? Or even recognize my beautiful face?” He annoyingly added. “Well I wouldn’t be asking you if I knew right?” I replied snarkily at him.

“Ok, I get that you can’t remember me since it's been so long since we last saw each other but still, my flawless face is THE face in Asia right now! How could you not recognize it?” He audaciously asked me, but I replied with the most placid face I could ever master. He gawked at me so I assume that it worked, and added,

“ah! I get it now! You must be shy, huh? Fine, if you must insist, I will introduce myself to you even thought I know that you already know this face! Anyway, I’m THE MIcky Yoo, the face of Asia and your childhood best friend! Hi, Mina Song!” Oh my gosh, this arrogant gorilla needs an attitude makeover, ASAP! How can he easily praise himself like this! “THE face of Asia?” ha! And my best friend! Well, thinking about it, I really did have a best friend when I was still a child, but she was nice! There is just no way that she could be this gorilla in front of me! I gave him the best smile I could offer someone like him and said,

 

“I’m sorry, but I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else, well either that or you’re just really being a creeper stalking me around.” I did not wait for his reply and made my escape, leaving his mouth open and his face with a dumb-founded expression. Well, I guess I am fortunate enough to be spared from his gorilla actions this time! I looked back, checking if he ever recovered from his trance and somewhat chased after me once more, but thankfully, gorilla guy is out of sight. I can finally enjoy myself and grab some breakfast! I spotted a uniquely designed café near my next flight’s gate and made my way to it.

Suddenly, there was a waitress wearing what seemed to me as a mice costume standing by my table and started taking my order.  Once I completely managed to show her what I want by pointing at the menu as a result of the either of us not being able to speak the other’s language, I settled comfortably in my seat. I took my iPhone out and started taking pictures of the sophisticated airport terminal, when suddenly, there’s an annoyingly huge head blocking my camera, I put my phone down and readily fixed my glare to the person blocking my camera but it totally vanished once I realized who the person gorilla is.

My blood started to boil and I can feel my face starting to heat up as the result of too much annoyance I feel for the gorilla. I watch him enter the café until he took a seat across from me. “What do you want?” I asked. “Well, I told you that I am your best friend from way back when we were still kids, but you ran away!” he snapped back at me. “well, excuse me, mister gorilla, but as far as I can recall, I only had one childhood friend and she was girl!” I shouted, unable to contain my irritation. I looked away, not wanting to see his annoying face any longer, and I started to get worried, as he did not shot back at me. Praying that he got annoyed and finally left me alone, I took my chances and slowly turned my head, only to be disappointed. The gorilla is still there, sitting in front of me, but something’s amusingly changed, his face is red, do I sense an embarrassment here?

 

Hmm.. I am so curious as to what have I said that could embarrass him, so I started to rack my brain to rewind my dialogue a few minutes ago. Well, all I can remember is I telling him about my one and only girl best friend from my childhood and there was no way it could be him, nothing that can potentially embarrass him, right?

 

Unless, he was dressed as a little girl by his parents when he was a chi,.. wait, something’s fishy here, I can vaguely remember my best friend’s mom used to always talk whine about how she wanted a daughter after having four sons, and I used to think that she is way too greedy because she already has a daughter, my best friend, Micka. And just like that everything snapped into its place. Holy cow! Don’t tell me Micka is the one sitting here in front of me as Micky?!  My eyes widened as I struggle to choke out the words that my mouth wants to utter, “Mi..Micka?Yo..You are,,,were Micka?”

 

He slowly lifted his head and look shyly at me and said,

“well,, you see,, you know how my mother wanted to have a daughter so bad after having all sons right, and well, unfortunately,  my parent’s were not able to have one, so they’d dress me up as a girl when we were little..don’t you dare laugh at me! But with that issue pushed aside can you really not recognize my face from all the commercials that I’ve done?!” Wow, could this day get any more awkward and embarrassing?