Caged

Caged

Brushing her fingertips lightly over the delicate petals, she sighed. The lady looked up when she heard footsteps shuffling near her. The servants bowed down respectfully when they spotted her in the backyard.

“Lady Yoon.” They greeted in sync, unmoving.

She gave a light nod and they scurried away quickly. The lady who had heavy and extravagant accessories on her hair sighed once more as she returned her gaze back to the flowers. Her porcelain white face was draining of colours as days passed. At that moment, it was heavily contrasting her striking coloured silk fabric.  At a mere age of 17, she was trapped here. Perhaps many girls would die to be in her position. But not her, definitely.

In her position, she wants to die.

She dreaded being in this gilded cage like a powerless bird. If not for the safety of her family, she would never agree to the marriage. However, even if she disagreed, she knew. She would still be carried into the bridal carriage and sent to this cursed residence. After all, he had the power, wealth and connections. Even if she run to the end of the world, she had a feeling he could still hunt her down. Han Joongki was the few most powerful officials in the capital city. Being one of the most trusted officials by the emperor, he could easily send a troop of soldiers to get her. She had no odds against him.  

“If only I listened to father and stayed home that day.” She thought to herself.

She regretted not heeding her father’s advice and escaping to the marketplace that day. If she had stayed home, he would not have met her. In that way, the marriage would have never interrupted her once blissful life. Now, she ended up being trapped in this well-furnished residence with a man, 50 years older than her whom she has to call her lord. It was not as if the thought of running away never crossed the bold girl’s mind before. It was just that she knew if she had done so, she would only put her family in danger. She couldn’t bring herself to do it. Her family was innocent but Lord Han would beg to differ if she was nowhere to be found.  

She had no one to blame.

“It’s fate.” She muttered under her breath.

Then, the flower she was caressing got blown to the ground. With her eyes traced to the flower lying lifelessly on the ground, she smiled. It would wilt one day, she thought. Just like her, it would wilt away.

 

 

Hours have passed by without Mihye’s attention as she was embroidering a chrysanthemum on the pale pink handkerchief. Putting everything in her hands down, she walked up to her door. She was alone in the room. The peaceful silence was soothing to her ears. She had heard from her maiden that Lord Han had gone socializing with the other officials. He had brought alone his First Lady. It was a blessing that he had not called for her, his new concubine yet. However, she knew that he would not be busy forever. One day, the most dreaded moment would arrive. She had successfully drugged him on their marriage day. Lord Han did not suspect anything, thinking he was too drunk to carry out the necessary procedures for the night. However, the same trick wouldn’t work twice, she believed.

“I wonder how they are doing?” she mumbled as she looked up at the dark sky.

The bright moon decorated the sky as it shone brightly with all its might. There was a saying that if you missed someone very badly, you just have to look up at the moon. By seeing the moon, it would be equivalent to seeing the person you missed. For the person would be doing the same elsewhere. Mihye smiled as she saw the faces of her parents and siblings. She prayed that they were doing well.

Then, she heard some noises.

Opening her eyes, she saw a figure moving about hurriedly. He seemed to be searching for something on the ground. Oblivious to his surroundings, Myungsoo continued his search. He could not afford to lose his deceased mother’s jade pendant. It was their family heirloom, the only valuable he has. Then, he spotted a pair of refined shoes. He looked up without much thought and saw her. Stumbling backwards, Myungsoo’s head dived through the air quickly and bowed down.

“I’m sorry, Lady Yoon.” He said fearfully.

“You’re looking for something?” she asked.

“Y-Yes, Milady. I lost my deceased mother’s jade pendant.” He explained.

Myungsoo shut his eyes, expecting something dreadful coming from . However, he felt something cold against his skin. He shot open his eyes and saw the familiar pendant before him.

“Is this the one? I found it this afternoon.” She said with a slight smile.

“And you may rise.” She added.

Myungsoo straightened his back and took the pendant back from her carefully. Slipping it into his waist pocket, he bowed down at her as a form of gratitude. He was shocked at her response. He had expected her to say things along the line of why would a servant possess such valuable things such as jade or even accuse him of stealing. However, she did none of that. She merely returned his possession and even smiled at him. It was unexpected.

“What’s your name?” she inquired.

Myungsoo’s eyes widened at her words. He was certain she was asking for his name. She was asking for the name of a lowly man like him. He had lived in this house for years by the name “Servant”, “Slave” or even worse addresses. Never once had someone asked for his name. After all, a servant like him of such low status was not worth the mention. They were treated like dirt, beaten like dogs as and when their masters wishes. Gulping down his saliva, he met eyes with Mihye who was still waiting for his reply.

“Kim Myungsoo is the name, Lady Yoon.” He replied softly and looked down.

“Nice to meet you, Kim Myungsoo.” She said with another smile.

Myungsoo thought her voice sounded pleasing to the ears and she was really a natural beauty. However, he thought she would look better without all the make-up nobles were forced to wear.  The moonlight shone down on the two and Myungsoo felt his heart acting funnily. Bowing down once more, Myungsoo was about to take his leave. It was inappropriate for him to stay further.

“I would take my leave first, Lady Yoon.” He said and turned his back around.

“Could you… call me Mihye? Just once?” She requested.

Myungsoo froze in his position at her request. He believed ‘Mihye’ was her maiden name but he could not comprehend why she wanted him to call her that. Whatever the reasons were,  Myungsoo knew he was not allowed to do so.

“I’m sorry, Milady. I am not allowed to be disrespectful.” He replied.

She thought so too.

“In that case, you’re dismissed.” She instructed.

With that, Myungsoo hurried off to his dorm. Sighing, Mihye returned to her chamber. She saw her chamber maiden dozing off at a corner. Unlike other mistresses who would probably slap the maiden for turning in before them, she let her be. She understood perfectly that it was already into the wee hours of morning. And she was glad she fell asleep while she was embroidering actually.

If not, she would not have met him.

“Kim Myungsoo.” She repeated the name in her mind.

Mihye undressed herself and went under the blanket covers on her own Back at home, her mother always nagged at her for not changing out before sleeping. She missed those times. Shutting her eyes, tears streamed down her face. She missed being ‘Mihye’ instead of ‘Lady Yoon’. Clearing her mind of the thoughts, she tried to fall asleep.

 Dreams were her only escape from reality.

 

With her hands on the wooden latch, Mihye glanced left and right. She had changed out of her usual clothings, ready to flee. She was not going anywhere further than the marketplace though. She merely wanted a breather from this cage-like place. Even if punishment would await her when she returned, she was determined to do so.

“Lady Yoon, the coast is clear.” Her chamber maiden whispered as she climbed down the tree.

The guards were changing shifts. Seizing the opportunity, Mihye pushed open the doors and ran. Sweat trickled down her face as she ran on but she didn’t mind. She loved it even if the freedom she obtained was short-lived. Greeted by the marketplace was bustling with life, she smiled. Sellers were shouting at one another from one end to the other while transacting. They enjoyed life even if it was hard. Walking up to the stalls one by one, she bought many things. The maiden reflected a smile as she saw a genuine smile form on her mistress’ face.

Holding onto the heavy load of things she bought, she looked up at the skies. The hour was getting later and it simply meant the punishment would get more severe. She was worried not just for her mistress. Clearing timidly, she reminded, “Milady, it’s near dusk.”

Mihye looked up and sighed before giving an exasperated nod. The day had come to an end. She has to return to where she belongs. All good things come to an end, she thought.

“Let’s go back to the Han residence.” She instructed.

The two arrived at the front doors of the residence. Guards were standing in a neat file, welcoming her arrival. She knew that Lord Han had returned from his trip. It was a bad sign. Dropping whatever she had on hands, Mihye burst through the doors. She arrived at the middle hall and saw all those servants and maidens allocated to her sprawled on the ground. They were being viciously beaten by long, thick planks.

Lord Han and his wife were sitting on the grand chair, sipping tea. Their eyes flashed no hint of sympathy. Running forward, Mihye bit her lips in remorse. Going down on her knees, she bowed down. No one was screaming despite all the pain inflicted on them. They were not allowed. Lord Han placed his ceramic cup down and smiled. Using his index finger which had a jade ring on, he lifted her chin. Their eyes met and he smirked.

“Tell me. Where did you go during my absence?” he asked.

Mihye was shivering on the inside but she showed no fear.

“I went to the marketplace, my lord. It was solely my decision and no fault on the servants. Please show mercy on them. I beg of you.” Mihye pleaded.

“No. Lord Han, the servants deserve some teaching for not keeping their masters in place.” A high-pitched voice interrupted.

“My Lady, you’re right. Indeed, they need to be taught our Han family’s rules properly. Harder!” He shouted.

Mihye dug her nails into her thigh as she heard the sound of the plank against their skin continuously. She glanced back and saw some servants had fainted. However, the beating continued on.

“And Lady Yoon, no dinner for you tonight.” The First Lady ordered.

Mihye was let off lightly, too lightly.

“Does it hurt?” she asked as she traced their wounds.

Her chamber maiden flinched a little at her touch. She then shook her head and smiled.

“Not at all, Lady Yoon.” She lied.

The others nodded.

“How can this be not painful?” she questioned loudly.

Walking back to her dressing table, Mihye passed them some ointment.

“All of you don’t have to wait on me anymore, tonight.”

“Bu-”

“This is an order.”

“Yes, Lady Yoon.”

“… And I’m truly sorry.”

“Milady, you don’t have t-”

“Leave. Go back and have some rest.”

With that, all her servants and maidens left the room. Mihye pressed her palms against the table. She stared at all the things she bought from the marketplace in noon. With a harsh swipe, she swept everything onto the ground. Her legs buckled under her as she sat on the ground. She cried. She was powerless to protect her people. She had brought everything upon them because of her gullibility. She can never be ‘Mihye’ anymore. She had to act as ‘Lady Yoon’ forever and always. That fact finally sank into the back of her head as more tears fell.

She used to be a free bird spreading her wings in the azure blue sky. But now, she was trapped. She got trapped in this gilded cage with a man she had to call her husband. In her opinion, it was far worse than a life-time imprisonment. Prisoners are locked up because they have done something wrong. However, what wrong have she done?

Mihye tossed and turned in her bed, unable to fall asleep. She felt her stomach rumble and her sides were getting painful. The pain was excruciating. It was probably because she skipped lunch and now, dinner too. Hugging her covers closer to her, she shut her eyes. Then, she heard faint knockings on her door. Climbing out of bed, Mihye slipped into her shoes. Judging from the shadow formed on her door, Mihye knew safely it was not Lord Han. She opened the doors to find a familiar-looking man before her.

“Kim Myungsoo?” she blurted out in surprise.

He nodded.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

He looked down at the carrier he was holding onto. She smiled as she realized he had secretly delivered food to her. Just then, shuffling of footsteps was heard round the corner. Without a second thought, Mihye grabbed Myungsoo’s wrist and pulled him into her chamber. Shutting the door quickly, she pulled him closer to her. With her hands on his lips, she held her breath. This was the least she could do to protect him.

“Lady Yoon?” The person from outside called out.

“Damn.” She cursed mentally.

Myungsoo slipped out of her hands and fumbled his way through the darkness carefully. Finding his way to the closet, he climbed into it. Assured of his safety, Mihye opened the door. She yawned and pretended to have just awakened.

“Sorry to disturb you, Lady Yoon.” He greeted.

“What’s the matter?” she asked in the tone of a typical noble.

“The banquet dinner is tomorrow. Lord Han wants me to send this to you.” He notified.

Taking the gift wrapped in a thin brown paper, she nodded. He then took his leave. After shutting the doors, Mihye heaved a sigh of relief. She rushed to her cabinet and opened it. With the help of the moonlight, she saw the boy inside with an interesting expression on. It amused her.

“The fragrance is like those of flowers.” Myungsoo thought as he sniffed once more.

“Aren’t you coming out?” she asked, biting back a smile.

Myungsoo opened her eyes and flushed red out of embarrassment. He stumbled out of the cabinet, causing her to giggle.  

“You’re so clumsy.”

“I would take my leave first.”

“Wait. Kim Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks before the closed doors.

“Thank you.”

He smiled before leaving her room.

It was a simple but yet unforgettable night.

 

Hundreds of people were rushing here and there. They were all busy with the banquet dinner preparation. Everything has to come out perfect. Lord Han is nothing less than a perfectionist. Therefore, nothing must go wrong.

Mihye’s maidens helped her put on the gift from Lord Han. It was a piece of bright red silk clothing with images of peony embroidered on it. Looking at herself in the mirror, she was amazed at how fitting it was on her.

“Lady Yoon, you look pretty.” The maiden complimented.

Mihye thought otherwise though. The colour made her look older than her age as if to make her compatible with him. She detested it. Turning away from the mirror, she gave the cue to set off for the venue. Walking with small steps with the proper technique, Mihye reached. Lord Han and his subordinates were overseeing the arrangement. Then, she scanned the sea of working servants to find someone.

A bright smile lit up her face when she spotted him. Sweat was dripping down his face, making him look more dashing than ever. She realized that he had really good features. Making a smart guess of his age, Mihye believed he was approximately 3 years older than her. Myungsoo lifted up the basket of utensils with care. Then, he met eyes with her.

To his horror, he dropped everything in his hands. The porcelain-made plates, bowls and other utensils shattered. The sound of breaking porcelain pierced through the air. Everyone else held their breath. Lord Han shifted his gaze to the direction of his source. Myungsoo was trembling with fear at the happening. Mihye bit her own tongue as she watched on. It was her fault. He sauntered over to Myungsoo who fell to his knees with his head lowered.

“Any idea of the worth of what you have broken?”

“N-No, my lord. I am extremely sorry for my mistake. I didn’t mean it, re-”

Myungsoo was cut off with a tight slap rewarded. His face swelled up at that instant and it pained Mihye to witness the scene.

“You didn’t mean it. You didn’t mean it. You didn’t mean it.” He repeated as slaps followed one after another.

Mihye rushed over to them as she couldn’t stay put any longer.

“My Lord.” She greeted.

“Can’t you see I am bu-”

Lord Han paused as he saw Mihye flash him a bright smile. It was the first time she had ever done that to him. And she looked beautiful. He stopped his punishment and walked over to her. Wrapping his hands around her tiny waist so readily, he smiled back.

“Yes, Lady Yoon?”

“I feel like practicing calligraphy but no one is willing to accompany me. What to do?”

“Ah. I would gladly be at service for my gorgeous wife. Let’s go, darling.”

Mihye cringed at his term used on her but she ignored it. She nodded with the best smile she could maintain.

“But My Lord, what to do with this slave?” One of his subordinates questioned.

Mihye hurriedly placed her hand on Lord Han’s arm and hypnotized him with another smile.

“Let it go, My Lord. He’s not worth the trouble.” She forced those words out of .

“Do as what Lady Yoon wishes.” was the final order given.

Myungsoo looked up at the two who have left and felt a pang at his heart when he saw Lord Han moving his hands along her waist. Her words were engraved in his mind too. The hierarchy was something he had forgotten. They were on different levels. She could never be his. She belonged to the high mighty Lord Han and never to a lowly slave like him. Picking up the broken pieces absent-mindedly, Myungsoo grazed his fingers. Blood oozed out of the wounds but he smirked.

“Not as painful as the one I am feeling inside.” He thought.

“Kim Myungsoo, what were you thinking just now?” Woohyun scolded as he helped him clean the mess.

“You... Your finger is bleeding!”  He half-shouted as he held onto his finger.

Myungsoo turned to Woohyun and smiled.

“Lowly slaves like us don’t feel anything.” He stated.

Woohyun frowned at his statement before pulling him away. On his way to the kitchen, he got some of the others to help clean the mess. Pulling out a stool, Woohyun got Myungsoo to sit down. Grabbing the first aid tool box from beneath the furnace, he hurried back to him. Myungsoo was still in a daze, so unlike his usual self.  

“Give me your finger.” He said.

No response.

“Aish, you troublesome little brat.” Woohyun cursed as he grabbed his finger roughly.

“Ouch.” Myungsoo jumped a little as he brushed against his wound.

“Not pain, huh?” he teased.

Woohyun treated his wound with care. He knew the basics and Myungsoo ought to know too. However, he didn’t seem to be bothered by his own cut at all.

“Something is off with you today but now isn’t the right time to interrogate you. I’ll resume interrogation tonight in our dorm.  Get up. Let’s hurry back to help out.” Woohyun said quickly.

If not for the two were buddies for years, Myungsoo wouldn’t have caught a single word he said.

“Let’s go.”

With a bandage around his finger, Myungsoo returned to the venue. As time passed, the pace of setting up the area quickened.  Soon, everything was ready. The maidens and servants stood in two neat columns as the In-charge checked the area.

“Too dirty.”

It was just a small speck of dust in the plate. However, a maiden was banned from returning home for a month.

“Too oily.”

The bowl was merely smooth to the touch but turned out to be oily in their eyes. A servant had his meager pay deducted as a result.

“Acceptable as a whole. Good job!” Lord Han announced and the rest applauded.

Mihye felt someone staring at her and she knew who it was. However, she refused to make eye contact with him. In that way, he would be safe. If they were caught looking at one another by Lord Han, she couldn’t imagine what sort of story he would cook up to sabotage Myungsoo. He was that type of man, the horrible kind. Sometimes, Mihye wondered if he was a beast beneath his clothing.

During the calligraphy session, she had to make him hold the brush countless times to stop him from touching her. He was such a dirty lecher in her eyes. Finally, she couldn’t take it and had to lie that she was feeling giddy to excuse herself. Lord Han still got his subordinates to invite her for the dinner hours later. She wondered if that was an ominous sign that he had taken liking on her. 

The banquet dinner commenced after all the respected guests have arrived from all over the town. All of them were high-ranking officials with a mouthful title before their names.  Because of that, Woohyun had to smack Myungsoo to remind him to be on his toes at all times. Myungsoo nodded in understanding. He did not need her to save him a second time.

Standard opera performances began and all the officials began dining. No one was really paying attention to the performers throughout the banquet. The seafood on the table was a wide spread with the most expensive wine served along. The setting of the banquet was exquisite and grand too. Lord Han was grinning widely as the officials were full of compliments and words of gratitude.  

“Lord Han, is that your lady?” One of them asked with a smirk.

“Oh, she is my fifth concubine, Lord Kim.” He answered as he patted Mihye’s hand fondly.

Mihye resisted the urge to push him away and merely smiled.

“She’s beautiful.” He complimented.

“Indeed.” Lord Han replied as he looked to Mihye.

Mihye thought she spotted lust in his eyes but she pushed the thought away.

“It must not be.” She reassured herself.

The lively night came to an end eventually. Mihye had excused herself once everything was over.

“Invite Lady Yoon over to my place tomorrow night. She would be the lady to serve me.”

“You are completely understood, My Lord.”

Woohyun hid behind the pillar and his shoulders deflated once they were gone.

The cleaning up was done only hours later with everyone’s help. All the servants and maidens returned to their dorms and were soon fast asleep, except for two. Woohyun turned to Myungsoo and whispered, “What’s the matter today?”

“Hyung, I think I fell in love with her.”

“Who?”

“Lady Yoon.”

“What?!”

Myungsoo sighed before turning over with his back facing Woohyun. After some time and contemplation, Woohyun finally decided to speak up.

“Myungsoo.”

“Hmm…” He mumbled in his sleep.

“Lady Yoon would be serving Lord Han tomorrow night.” He informed before shutting his eyes too.

Myungsoo’s eyes shot wide open at his statement.

It was rumoured among the servants that the two have not had any intimate act yet. The rumour was subsequently proven right at the dark face Lord Han had the next morning. In other words, if Woohyun was not lying which he had no reason to; tomorrow would be the official night. Myungsoo shut his eyes once more as he pretended to be fast asleep. However, Woohyun’s words continued to haunt him the entire night.

 

“Good morning, Lady Yoon.” The man greeted politely.

It was not a good sign to see Lord Han’s man early in the morning, she thought.

“What’s the matter?” she inquired.

“I am pleased to inform you that Lord Han has selected Lady Yoon to serve him for the night.” The man informed with a knowing smile.

Mihye’s mind went blank at his announcement.

The day has finally arrived.

For the rest of the day, Mihye had a whole lot more maidens waiting on her. She was put through a series of ‘preparation’. It ranged from scrubbing her body in the bathtub thoroughly to soaking her in a flower bath. Mihye felt like a puppet being directed. Or rather, she had been one since the very beginning. She looked down at her bare body that was going to be tainted today. The feeling was indescribably disgusting.

The maidens clothed her with the most expensive silk in town. It was a thin material with a unique design. She was at a mere age of 17, she thought. Without any delay, a carriage arrived at her doors. She was being led into it and carried to Lord Han’s place. Being guided through his doors, she was reminded of the first time she drugged him. This time, she was defenseless. Sitting on his bed, she felt the material of the soft fabric.

A tear slid down her face and got absorbed in the sheets. Tonight, she was going to be laid underneath it with Lord Han. Just then, the doors flung open. She hurriedly wiped off her tears and stood up. He smirked as he looked at her frightened expression. She was too adorable at the instant and he felt like devouring her right away. Shutting the doors behind him, he advanced closer to her.

Putting his fan down on the table, Lord Han walked up to Mihye. She held her breath as they were centimeters apart. He threw his arms around her and hugged her so tightly. She felt his body pressed against her and she bit her inner cheeks. She must not fight back or her family would be in trouble.

“Don’t worry. I will be gentle.” He whispered into her ears.

He guided her to his bed and pulled the curtains. Mihye was lying on his bed with a throbbing heart as he undressed himself above her. Meeting eyes with her, he stopped halfway. He picked her up and started kissing her. His lips brushed against every inch of her skin and she felt sick. Lord Han ran his fingers to her ribbon and pulled it with force. Her garments slipped and he pulled it off roughly. He began touching her inappropriately and a tear slid down her face as she clenched her fists. Then, she finally snapped.

Pushing him away with all her might, Mihye scrambled out of his bed. She ran towards the door and was about to escape. However, his strong grip held onto her wrist.

“Where do you think you are going?” he growled.

“Pl-Please. Let me off.” She begged.

He smirked and pulled her back towards him. Throwing her onto the bed, he resumed his actions. She began screaming as he attempted to remove her inner garments. She was kicking until the sheets fell but he refused to stop. He was like a hungry beast trying to quench his thirst.

Myungsoo could hear everything ongoing inside from behind the windows. He clenched his fists as he finally got up from his squatting position. Pushing open the windows, he climbed into the chamber. Running over to the bed, he dragged Lord Han out. Before he could shout for his men, he knocked him out. Myungsoo took care not to kill him lest he got into trouble.

His eyes landed on Mihye whose hair was in a mess. She was trembling as she was still gripping tightly on her inner garments. Myungsoo picked up the sheets on the ground and covered her with it. He heaved a sigh of relief to know that Lord Han had not succeeded in his ways.  He held onto her hands gently and looked into her eyes.

“I’ll take you away from here.” He said in a serious tone.

Mihye looked up and saw his sincere expression. She nodded slowly and soon found herself engulfed in his arms. Unlike that jerk who was laid on the ground, Myungsoo’s hug felt more secure and warm. For the first time, she felt protected.

Thanks to Lord Han’s arrangement for all servants to withdraw from his vicinity, the escape was smooth. However, every passing second meant danger. Myungsoo tightened his grip on Mihye as they ran back to the servants’ dorm. No one was there at the moment as they were all busy elsewhere. Myungsoo stole one of the maidens’ clothes and passed it to Mihye. She changed into it hurriedly at a corner and they were ready to go. Just then, someone returned to the dorms. The two hid behind the shared closet. Peeping, he recognised the person. Myungsoo came out of his hiding place when he saw that it was Woohyun.

“Hyung, I am leaving.” He informed.

“What are you talking about, Myun-” Before he could finish his sentence, he spotted Lady Yoon in maiden’s clothing.

“Don’t tell me you just saved her from his chamber.” He pointed out in disbelief.

Myungsoo nodded at his remark.

“Are you crazy?!” He yelled at the younger boy.

“Hyung, time is running out. I got to go. I’m sorry.” Myungsoo said as he pulled Mihye and was about to run away.  

“Wait.” Woohyun called out.

The two stopped and looked back at him.

“I know the secret passage out.” He told them.

The two exchanged glances and smiled.

 Crawling out of the tunnel, Myungsoo helped Mihye up. They were found on the other side of the marketplace.

“Mihye, listen to me.” He began.

Mihye looked up in shock as to the address he used to call her.

“If any of us get caught, the other must run and not look back. Understand?” he instructed.

She nodded obediently and he smiled, patting her head.

Tightening his grip on her once more, they began running. They pushed their way through the clusters of people with only one thought in mind- Freedom. They had to escape before they found them. Time was ticking away and they were playing against fate. After running for some time, Mihye was panting tiredly. Myungsoo looked at her in concern before deciding to rest for a bit although they weren’t in the safety zone. They were still in town, the area under his control. However, he knew Mihye’s stamina was running out. She was not a labourer like himself, he understood that well enough.

Then, gallops of horses could be heard clearly. Myungsoo stood up and he pushed Mihye away from him into the crowd. In confusion, Mihye saw him mouthed ‘Run’ and thus, she took that as a cue to start running. She kept running and running, not realizing Myungsoo was no longer behind her. Finally, she glanced back to realize he was long gone. Uneasiness overtook her as she ran back to where they parted minutes ago. There was a big crowd gathered at the area. She hid behind a dirtied wall as she eyed the commotion.

“Where is the ?” he questioned.

“I don’t know.” Myungsoo answered as he looked away.

Lord Han smirked as he ordered his man to give him another round of beating. Myungsoo’s clothes were already torn and tattered from all the beating. Cuts and bruises were evident on his once flawless face too. Lord Han put his hands up and his subordinates stopped on cue. He walked up to Myungsoo who was lying on the ground now. Placing his shoes on his cheeks, he exerted more pressure. At that instant, Mihye wanted to run out of her hiding place and push him away. However, Myungsoo’s words stopped her.

“If any of us get caught, the other must run and not look back. Understand?”

“I am asking you one last time. Where is that ?!” He shouted as he grinded the sole of his shoes against his face.

Myungsoo held in the pain which was killing him bit by bit. With a faint smile that was barely visible, he looked up at Lord Han daringly and whispered, “I don’t know.”

 “You stubborn and lowly slave! Give it to him!” Lord Han ordered his men.

They continued to give him another round of vicious beating. Myungsoo clutched his stomach and coughed up some blood. From the corner of his eyes, he spotted Mihye weeping as she held onto the wall’s edge. His eyes told her to go before shutting temporarily. She spun around and walked a few steps. Then, she heard a loud scream from behind causing her to jerk her head.

It was Myungsoo.

Turning about, she ran towards him without anything else to worry about. She pushed them away and kneeled before him. A wooden plank that broke into half was lying on the ground with wooden bits around it. Lord Han smirked at the sight of Mihye.

“So you are finally here.” He said.

She looked up at him and stood up. Without a second thought, she gave him a tight slap to wipe the dirty smile off his face. Lord Han held onto the reddened area and shoved her onto the ground roughly.

“You dare to slap me?” he shouted.

Mihye ignored him completely as she traced Myungsoo’s badly beaten face. He opened his eyes for a brief moment and frowned.

She was not supposed to be by his side.

 

Many people were gathered by the river by Lord Han. By the name of adultery punishment, he was going to drown both Myungsoo and Mihye. It was better than him having to admit that he had his concubine run out of him when he was making his move on her. Lord Han got his men to put the two into separate baskets.  Even if they were to die, he was not going to let them die together.

“Why are you so silly?” Myungsoo finally asked as his hands were in the process of binding.

“Because you are too.” She said with a fond smile despite being tied up.

“I love you, Mihye.” He confessed.

“I love you too, Myungsoo.” She mumbled as they were lifted off the ground.

“In another life, I promise. We will be together.” He smiled weakly at his promise.  

“I hold you to your word then.” She said with a smile that vanished soon enough.

The two cages dipped into the water and sank with the help of the stones’ weight. The two struggled a little before slowly ceasing in actions. Bubbles escaped from their mouths as the last signs of life. Finally, water filled their lungs as they sank to the bottom of the river, together.

 

 

The girl dropped her book as she dozed off by accident. Bending over, he picked up the book with a smile. He studied the book for a brief moment before looking at the sleepyhead before him.

“Hey.” He called out.

She jumped a little at the sudden disturbance.

“This book looks interesting. Can you lend it to me?” he asked.

She nodded groggily in her half-awake state.

 “Thanks. And my name is Kim Myungsoo.” He introduced as he took her hand.

“Ah. My name is Yoon Mihye. Uhm, by any chance, have I met you somewhere before?” she asked as she released the handgrip.

She squinted her eyes at the handsome guy before her.

“Maybe we knew each other in our past lives?” Myungsoo joked as he shrugged his shoulders.

At his joke, the two laughed out loud.

“I will return this book to you once I’m done, alright?” he tilted the book slightly and smiled.

“But how do you pass it to me?” she asked in confusion.

“Somehow or rather, we’ll meet.” He said confidently.

“How do you know?” she questioned his statement.

“I just have a hunch we will.” He said simply before walking away.

Waving the book in his hands as a form of goodbye, Mihye couldn’t help but laugh at the familiar stranger before her. Deep inside, she felt something brewing within her.  

It was an amazing yet unknown feeling.

They have just started the new chapter on their unfinished love.

Maybe this time they would get their happy ending?

Who knows? Maybe.

 

 

Author's Note:
Today, I didn't have to go to school so I stayed home to finish writing this one-shot! <3
I would say I really had a lot of fun writing out this one while imagining the scenes. ^^
I thought I didn't do too badly. (Slightly better than what I've expected.) I guess I have low expectations for this one-shot initially, perhaps. Hehes.
Thank you so much to all my 26 lovely subscribers who have subscribed even before this one was up. (:
It really encouraged me a lot. Love you guys! :D (I was so surprised at the subscribers count.)
Hope you have enjoyed reading my new attempt and would drop me a comment below ^^!
I feel that the development in the middle might be a little rushed so I apologize for that DX.
Nonetheless, thank you so much for reading 'Caged'. <3