Final.

Moments Like These

 

Death is inevitable and you have come to accept that already. The time you have on Earth is shorter than those of your peers and you really, truly wouldn’t have minded if not for the boy holding you in his arms right now. It’s eight in the evening and you’re resting on Kai’s chest as the sun sets, a beautiful blend of purple, pink and orange filling the previously blue sky. You can feel his upper body move up and down as he breathes; a comforting silence fills the air before you feel the soft rumbling of Kai’s chest.
 
“Are you scared?” You turned around and faced Kai, your light brown eyes meeting his dark brown orbs.
 
“Of dying?”
 
“Yeah, are you scared?” You can see a small film of water coat the corners of Kai’s eyes, he must have been wondering this for a while now.  
 
“No, but I’m afraid of never seeing you again.” You lift up your right hand and cup Kai’s face as a single tear drop falls, the expression on your face an exact replica of Kai’s. He brings his hands up and swipes his thumb across your cheeks gently, brushing away your tears. He then takes your hand into his and presses a kiss against the inside of your wrist where your pulse lies, a sign that your heart still beats. The two of you remain quiet as he slowly brings your hand to his chest, where his heart is.
 
“You know, you’ll always be a part of me right?” You nodded and inched closer to Kai. You wanted to tell him to find someone better, to forget you and move on but Kai, he would never do that, he simply can’t.
 
“I know.” You kiss his plush lips as another drop of tear falls from your eyes. “And I also know that you’re an idiot.” He leans over and kisses you this time.
 
“But this idiot here loves you so what can he do?” Kai deserves happiness; he deserves to live his life fully even when you leave but telling him that would be useless. Kai’s happiness stems from the girl in front of him right now, you.
 
“Nothing, absolutely nothing. Don’t ever change Kai.” Selfish. Yes, you know you’re being selfish but you don’t want Kai to ever change. He’s absolutely perfect the way he is, even while you’re gone you want this world to have the flawlessness that is Kai.
 
“I won’t.” The sun slowly disappears from the sky as the two of you stay seated, hands together and bittersweet smiles on your faces. At least you’re still next to him, right here, right now
 
Fin.