DECEMBER // ChangRick.

Cotton Socks

 

15th of December.

 

 

Changhyun doesn't want to be early but he doesn't want to be late either, so he's hiding in his car in the car park next to the barbecue restaurant they've arranged to meet at. He's sweating a bit, shaking with anticipation a little, but he really can't wait to see everyone. With a deep sigh to compose himself, he breathes out 'Changhyun, fighting!' to himself and steps out. He's tried his best to dress 'smart/casual' but he doesn't want to look too much of either. To be honest, he should just stop worrying. This is nothing compared to parenthood.

 

It's easy to spot them because they'd always pick a table in the corner anyway. But there's three bodies around the table, animatedly chatting and shouting. Just like they used to.

 

It's Daniel, Chanhee and Byunghun and they sweep Changhyun up in a big group bear hug when he gets close enough. Changhyun's nearly in tears and it's not even all six of them yet. Byunghun notices because he's always been good at noticing things like that and holds on a little longer whilst Changhyun composes himself. They fall back into easy conversation, mostly about Daniel's hijinks abroad whilst they wait for the final two members.

 

Daniel's hair is that long/short it's always been, pulled back away from his face, his skin sun-kissed. He looks more exotic than ever.

 

Chanhee's favourite shade of blonde hair dye is washing out at the roots whilst it flops naturally to the side. He's a little bit thin, his eyes are still big and shining (like always), he hasn't changed much. Maybe because the industry won't let him.

 

Byunghun's hair is wavy and wacky, a mixture of brunette, blonde and red. He still has an effortless air about him, living up to the rapper/composer that he is.

 

Changhyun's stomach is rumbling loudly and he's about to vocalise his hunger when he spots two figures walk in through the door, bowing politely at the staff.

 

It's them. Finally. They're all here.

 

They wonder over to the group like it's committed to muscle memory and it's Daniel who hugs them first, almost falling over in his enthusiasm. He hugs Jonghyun before Minsoo. Changhyun doesn't notice the way Daniel lingers on Minsoo because he's too busy staring at Jonghyun. Chanhee and Byunghun have said their hellos without Changhyun even realising so it's just him left.

 

He's on his feet automatically, gravitating towards the eldest who pulls him into a one arm bro hug because the other arm is still slung over Daniel. And when he's done blinding Minsoo with his grin (the rapper pinches his cheek and says he's still the cutest little bastard there is) he turns to Jonghyun who's looking at him with wistful, fond eyes.

 

“Come here then, hyung.” And so he crashes into him with a bone crushing hug because this is his best friend. Jonghyun hugs him back just as tightly telling him not to cry because he knows the other that well.

 

 

 

So they're huddled around the barbecue talking about the old days and the recent days, sharing food, fighting over something stupid, making silly jokes, like nothing's changed. But really, nothing has changed that much. A few glasses of soju have been consumed and everyone's a bit giggly because it feels so good to be together again. Changhyun doesn't want to leave. He wants to go back to the dorm and fight with Jonghyun for the duvet just like before. But that was then. He's got a daughter and a wife at home that he'll go back too. He makes a note to say at some point that they should do this again and to keep in touch.

 

Jonghyun's next to him, shoulder to shoulder as he leans back contentedly after the delicious meal. Food always tastes better with friends. Changhyun notices how warm, big and solid he is. He's gotten stronger over the years but that was to be expected. He was always a little jealous of Jonghyun's strength but right now he was just admiring the younger's upper arm and how warm it was. Additively warm.

 

Everyone's a little too close but they were always like that in Teen Top. But Changhyun knows better. He's lived with these guys for years, he knows what a few pointed looks and lingering touches meant. They have secrets never to be spoken about within the group. Like the way Minsoo keeps Daniel a little closer than necessary or the way Daniel used to sneak out to the leader's room at night and sleep there instead. Or the way Chanhee and Byunghun are just a little too touchy, heads close together as they talk in hushed tones. Changhyun looks up to Jonghyun's profile, his face as always been strongly structured, just like the rest of him. Changhyun never wants to go home.

 

But they're politely kicked out by staff because it's one am and the restaurant is closing. They stumble about in the street aimlessly all trying to avoid having to part from one another. In the end, Minsoo offers that they stay at his because, who are they kidding? Byunghun complains that his apartment is tiny and Daniel grins.

 

“Just like old times then.”

 

 

 

 

No-one questions the fact that Daniel and Minsoo share the only bed whilst the others find alternative sleeping arrangements. They stay up late talking about how nice it would be to comeback as Teen Top, just like Shinhwa did, all curled up on Minsoo's small sofa until their voices get quieter and quieter as one by one they fall asleep.

 

Changhyun thinks he's the only one awake so he untangles himself from Chanhee and goes over the window with the best view of Seoul. Well, the best view compared to the other windows in the leader's apartment. He's drunk on companionship and friendship as he watches the city breathe. He's so glad for his friends and what lead them to meet and what they've achieved. He really loves them. If he died now, he would be immensely happy.

 

There's rustling behind him but he barely notices, his mind is reeling at the past couple of hours. Strong warm arms wrap around his waist and Jonghyun's behind him, dependable and kind. Chanhgyun isn't as surprised as he should be. He holds his hands over Jonghyun's fore arms and closes his eyes relishing in this feeling – this feeling of strength, contentedness and love.

 

“I love Teen Top,” He whispers, the remains of soju still making his tongue loose.

 

“I love Teen Top too.” The silence that fills them is warm and they stay like that, wrapped up in the memories of eachother. That is until Jongyhun takes a deep breath like he's readying himself.

 

“You know, when you asked me to be your Best Man, I wasn't sure I could.” The day of his wedding rushes into his mind's eye, full of white and joyful smiles. “But I did because I... love you hyung. You know that right?”

 

Something quiet within Changhyun tells him to be reasonable and play this off as brotherly love but in this state, in this situation, Changhyun knows better than to do so.

 

“I love you, hyung.” Jonghyun repeats in breathy whisper that Changhyun wouldn't have heard if the younger wasn't directly behind him.

 

He thinks after all this time and with that he's got to lose that it's OK. It's OK to do this, admit this, to finally give in.

 

“I love you too.”

 

Jonghyun's right hand unravels from his waist, reaches up and softly traces Changhyun's jaw, turning the elder's head towards him – away from the cityscape too look solely at Jonghyun. From this angle Changhyun can't really see his friend's face but he doesn't need to. He knows the expression on his face will be heartbreakingly soft and tender. And he doesn't stop their lips from connecting in the most soft and loving way possible. He remembers the handful of times they've kissed before, when they were young in the whirlwind lifestyle of idols and thinks the way their lips are slowly moving together now is the best.

 

At some point Changhyun manages to spin around and kiss Jonghyun properly, his hands on the hem of the youngest's shirt.

 

“Don't leave me again,” He whispers, nuzzling into his friend's strong jaw as he waits for a reply.

 

“Only if you don't leave me too.” Jonghyun means something he can't bring himself to say but Changhyun understands. He always has done. That's just how it is with them. He nods before kissing him again and they stay like that, languidly melding their lips together in a harmonic pace until they stop because Jonghyun has to yawn. So they go to sleep next to Byunghun and Chanhee on the floor with a few pillows and a blanket.

 

 

 

When morning comes everyone tries their best for things not to be awkward but their all busy and none of them want to leave. Jonghyun offers to drive everyone to their respective duties and they agree. One by one they leave Jongyhun's car with as many jokes as possible so they can be a bit happier about the situation. The promise of meeting again on everyone's lips.

 

Soon enough it's just him and Jonghyun again because Changhyun has to give directions. It's a Sunday and Jonghyun asks if he can see Myunghee.

 

So they're playing in the garden together, laughter loud and carefree. Changhyun wants to remember this forever because he's just so full of love right now. In fact, he might be sick at how ridiculously happy he is. He wasn't even this happy at his own wedding. Eventually his wife comes out, wrapping an arm across his waist – Changhyun tenses, something she doesn't notice.

 

“What do you want for dinner, honey? Is Jonghyun-ssi staying?”

 

He didn't know his daughter has super sensitive hearing.

 

“Oh please stay for dinner Jonghyun-oppa! Please~!” The dancer giggles and messes her hair earning him a annoyed pout.

 

“Maybe next time.”

 

 

 

 

Changhyun's at his front door with Jonghyun on the other side and he's full of 'don't go' again.

 

“I'll be watching your drama. Ricky, fighting!” He raises his fist with a goofy grin and Changhyun's heart is clenching so much. It's really painful. But you'll keep in touch. He's not really going anywhere.

 

“Jongie, fighting!” He returns and their bro hug lasts a little bit longer than necessary before Jonghyun finally leaves.

 

Whatever happens, he will always remember the 15th of December.

 

 

 

A couple of months later, the internet is alight with rumours of Teen Top's comeback after four years.

 

 

 

 


I hope you enjoyed this :) Thank you for reading.