O3; Fonts, Sizes, and Color.

` { What Not to do } » AsianFanFics Story Tips {Under construction}

What's the mistake?:

HEY EVERYONE WHAT'S UP YOU LIKE THIS STORY? SUBSCRIBE DIS IS COOL STORY. YES I LOVE THIS FONT AND COLOR CAN YOU READ THIS LOOOOOOL

 

Yes okay that burns my eyes. This chapter is about Fonts, Sizes, and Color. I don't think I have to tell you all about what's wrong with the font, size and color with the writing above but just encase you aren't sure, he's what's wrong:
The font is comic sans and usually you use comic sans on mangas. Reading comic sans for stories aren't the best thing. I'll show you below.
The size is hugeeee. like HUGEEE. I don't need to to have my font size to 26 in order to get someone's attention, gd. 
And lastly the color. Can you even read that? If you can't read it then why the hell are you making the font that color anyway? And let alone, why do people even like reading fonts that burn there eyes?! I don't understand...

 

So here are some examples of the fonts and what you should use when typing a story that way it doesn't murder your readers:

Font Do's:

  • Arial is a normal font and it's eye friendly. The highest you want to go with arial is 14 and the lowest would be 10 at most. My suggestion is keeping Arial at 12 though. It's normal and easy to read.
  • Georgia font is one of my favorite fonts. It's very clean and smooth and easy to read. The highest font size you want to go with Georgia is 14 and the lowest you want to go to with georgia is 10 at most. My suggestion is keeping georgia at 12-11. It's easy to read.
  • Lucida Sans Unicode is a nice font too. It's kind of cute and airy and easy to read. The highest you should go is 14 and the lowest you should go is 10. My suggestion is to keep it at 12 exactly. Lucida sans on size 14 seems too big and it down to ten seems too small and hurts your eyes a bit.
  • Trebuchet MS is another good font. It kinda reminds me of Lucida Sans. The highest you should go to is 14 and the lowest 10. My suggestion is keeping it at 12-11.
  • Verdana is the set font AFF has for every new story and chapter. The highest you should go is to 14 and lowest 10. My suggestion is keeping Verdana at 12-10 font size wise. 14 is a bit too big and seemingly annoying as well.
  • Do use dark colors for your font color if you want something other than black. My suggestions are gray's, purples, dark reds, dark green, and other colors that are considered dark.

 

Fonts you probably shouldn't use when writing a chapter(but you can use for a foreword or introduction):

  • Comic Sans MS. I feel like comic sans is too sketchy and even though it seems good to write with it can be annoying to read.
  • Courier New is like a type writer. A lot of people that use Courier New like to make the font extra small and hard to read. Courier new is a nice font but I don't suggest it.
  • Tahoma is one of my least favorites out of all the fonts. When you italics it it becomes hard to read, when you bold it becomes mesh. It's not my favorite so i suggest not using it.
  • Times New Roman. Ah this font is what your teachers want you to type your essays in with 12 point font and double spaced. Times New Roman is small and really annoying to my eyes therefore i don't suggest it at all. Unless you're typing a paper.

Font Don'ts':

  • Don't make your font sizes past 14+ unless it's a title. If  you are writing a chapter and it has font this big for every sentence I will sue you. (not really, it 'll just piss me off)
  • Don't use neon colors(see above, i wont use the again cause i don't want to hurt everyone's eyes OTL ) or else i will burn your eyes out for burning mine. (not really since i don't know where you live nor would i even want to since I'm not that morbid and I'm a lazy )
  • Don't make your font so tiny that people have to copy and paste it into a note pad just to read it (don't make your font so tiny that people have to copy and paste it to a note pad just to read it)

 

 

So how do I fix these mistakes?:

If you want to use big fonts: use them only for titles like my title above, "so how do i fix these mistakes" i make that font size bigger to catch your attention so you know what you're reading.

if you want to use a neon color: then use it by all means. My suggestion is to do this: Neon
make the font neon but the background a dark color so you can see it better. even though this still thoroughly hurts my eyes it's not as blinding as the neon on the bright white.

 

 

Extra tips:

If you want to use lighter colors then I suggest you use them for the forward only. A lot of the times in apply fics you'll see it's really pretty with light colors and cuteness to catch your attention but when they write their story the font color isn't that pale gray you can hardly read. Why not look around at really successful authors and see what they do with their font different compared to yours.