POV » Point of Views.

` { What Not to do } » AsianFanFics Story Tips {Under construction}

 themistake 

CASEY'S POV:
I sat here on the park bench waiting for Stacy. She was beyond late. I was gonna kill her.

STACY'S POV:
I was running late! Casey was so going to kill me. I don't know what to do! I rushed out the front door and to the spot Casey was waiting for me.

CASEY'S POV:
I saw Stacy running towards me. I stood up and put my hands on my hips, glaring at her. "You're late!!!!"

STACY'S POV:
"I know, I'm sorry!" I knew she was going to be angry.

 


Hold up.
There is nothing I hate more than clicking on a fan fic and the foreword looks promising until I click chapter one and find out the author of the fanfic is writing in Five different point of views.

If you are so young to the point where you haven't taken english courses that teaches you the three main point of view elements for writing then you honestly should not be on here. (I'll get to that in another chapter however.)

There are 4 main POV's writers use when writing a book. Think of your fanfiction as a book except it's not printed and you update it every week as soon as you can. Therefore you are a writer. A writer who is writing a book.

 
Now, how many of you have ever read a book that has, "A's POV:" and then a paragraph then switches to "B's POV:" ?
In all my years of reading I have not once read a book that has those type of writing and POV standards.

So what do you do when you want to show who's talking and who's not? Well first you must know the four main POV's. (of course there are more POV's but those are more complex and these four main pov's are what you'll see mostly in every book you read.)


 
» First Person POV(Or first person limited):
First person limited is told from one persons point of view. When you write in first person you shouldn't change POV's to another person. This is like from the author's point of view. So you will see things like, "I did this" or "I said this". You often see this type of POV in Fiction or Biographies.
EXAMPLE:
I woke up early this morning by the annoyance of my alarm clock. It was Monday and I surely wasn't ready to get up and take a shower and get ready for school. I heard my mom downstairs yelling at me to get up and come eat breakfast, I merely grumbled back in response. As I climbed out of bed and hustled to the bathroom it was locked. I scuffed and pounded on the door, yelling at my brother Axel to hurry up and get out. "You can wait!" He responded, causing me to roll my eyes. I knew he was going to be in there for another fifteen minutes.


» Second Person POV(or second person narrative):
Second person narrative is from your point of view. When you write this story it is only your thoughts, your feelings and your character not knowing any one elses thoughts or feelings unless they are verbally spoken. When a writer writes in second person POV the things you will typically see is, "You", "You did this" or "You did that". You will find these in many fiction books.
EXAMPLE:
You pulled on some socks and your tennis shoes and headed outside to shovel up the driveway. Your dad was sick and your mom was too lazy and ordered you to do it instead. You hummed to yours and put on some KPOP music as you slid your earbuds into your ears. Little did you know that your crush was walking along the side walk, watching you jam out to your music. He chuckled.


» Omniscient POV(or third person omniscient):
Omniscient means all-knowing. This point of view is often known as the "God-Like" POV. What that basically means is people who believe in God believe he can read your minds, know how you feel, and know how the person sitting next to you feels and what they think as well. When using this POV you will normally see, "He felt like this" or "She thought this". You often see theses types of POV's in anime shows like Sailor Moon.
EXAMPLE:
Sailor Moon entered the warehouse of where she heard all the commotion going on and a cry for help. She rushed into action and held up her hand, "Stop! In the name of love!" She shouted at the villain. He only laughed at her and stared down at her from the tall boxes he stood on. "I am Fiore. You can't stop me!" He cackled loudly as he sent his minions down to kill Sailor Moon. "Perfect. She will give me the moon crystal and I can rule the world!" He thought to himself as he laughed even louder.


» Third Person POV(or third person limited):
If you'll notice that Third Person "limited" seems the same as "First Person limited" and it does. In this POV this one is limited. This is the thoughts and feelings of one person however it is the thoughts and feelings of the main character. You cannot switch your POV from one character to another when in Third Person Limited. Third Person Limited stays with the main character and only knows how they feel and what they think. You often see this type of POV in Kdrama's where you only know how the girl feels about the boy not how the boy feels about her.
EXAMPLE:
Oh Ha Ni's heart was pounding in her chest when Yoon Hae Ra told Baek Seung Jo, the kingka of the school, that she knew how to get the vending machine to work. Oh Ha Ni and Baek Seung Jo stared at each other what felt like forever until she slowly stood up, swallowing hard as she pulled her shorts down under her skirt and slowly waddled towards Baek Seung Jo. "He's going to think I'm an idiot. What if it doesn't work this time?" Oh Ha Ni thought to herself as she looked at Baek Seung Jo once more, trying to read his thoughts which where useless. She kicked the vending machine and miraculously the soda rolled out. Baek Seung Jo picked it up and left the cafeteria with no thank you or payment.

 

 fixthemistake 

» If you want more than one POV(say you are making an apply fic): simply use Third Person Omniscient. It allows you to switch characters around to their thoughts and feelings but without using that annoying break in the story.

» If you are wanting to be the character: use First person limited. That why you refer to yourself as "I" ... the author.

» If you are wanting to only know how your character feels and don't want the readers to know how your male character feels to keep it a mystery: use Third person limited. It creates a lot of suspense and it's usually my favorite to use.
 

 extratips 

» I suggest you experiment with these POV's. I'm not saying you can't use "A'S POV" and write a paragraph and then go to "B'S POV" but I'm just saying it looks unprofessional and slightly - in my opinion - stupid, tacky, and annoying. I don't need to know who's POV I'm in and frankly switching from one POV to another is really confusing to some people especially if they aren't really sure who the characters are.

» I also suggest you start with the easiest POV's first then to the hardest.
Labeled easiest to hardest:
First Person Limited
Second Person Narrative
Third Person Limited
Third Person Omniscient


» If you have any questions regarding how to use these types of POV's to improve your writing, don't be afraid to ask.
Phew that was a lot of information to write out OTL