Titles.

` { What Not to do } » AsianFanFics Story Tips {Under construction}

 themistake 

Now, there truly isn't anything more annoying than having a title of a story ALL CAPS LOCK AND SOME EXCLAMATION MARKS TO MAKE SURE WE KNOW HOW EXCITING THE STORY WILL BE DESU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or titles LiKe ThIs WhErE tHeRe AlTeRnAtE cApS.
Or what about: ✞ḯℓт℮﹩ ʟїкℯ ḓ☤ṧ ω♄℮яε ¥øü ¢αᾔ☂ яℯα∂ ☂нεμ <---- "titles like dis where you cant read them"
Titles like the one above usually appear as boxes to me so I have no idea what it even says anyway.
Or how about obvious titles such as:
1. "I'm a nerd, he's a kingka, but he likes me!"
2. "I'M GETTING ENGAGED WITH A KINGKA"
Or something more obvious to those affects.

Heres what I already know about the story just reading those titles:
1. She's a nerd, he's a good-looking guy in school who is known as a kingka and even though he's good looking he likes the main girl(nerd) and she ends up getting beat around by the queenkas and drama llama and they live happily ever after.
2. Some how the girl's father forces her to get into an arranged marriage with a kingka at school and chances are she doesn't like him so she doesn't want to get engaged to him or maybe she does like him and he doesn't like her and some more drama llamas and then they marry and have and babies and everything is so fun.

See how obvious those titles are? What's the fun in making a title obnoxious or obvious? I don't understand. And what happened to originality? (I'll get to that in another chapter however.)
 

 

 fixthemistake 

» For having a title in call caps lock with unnecessary exclamation marks is an easy fix; take out all the caps lock, make the title suitable and only have one exclamation mark.
» For having a title with alternative caps lock and lowercase letters; make the title correct with correct capitalization. (see "extra tips" below)
» For having a title with fancy lettering; if you want your title to catch peoples eyes without burning them just trying to read that text or boxes, then why not add cool symbols for your title - but don't go over board. Can be something like: "`( ♦ ) The King is Back! » A High school Love Story." I usually find my many symbols here.
» As for having obvious and overused/cliche titles?; simply write out your story first and then while you write it and something interesting happens use that event as your title. For example, the nerd girl could be super rich while in reality the kingka is super poor and you could name it, "Opposite Ends" Or something.
 

 extratips 

» Titles can be very tricky when it comes to writing them. Words that are three letters or shorter usually aren't capitalized in a title. As you see about in the "The King is Back" the "is" isn't capitalized.

» Why is "The" and "A" capitalized though since they are three letters or shorter?
"The" and "A" are capitalized because they are the beginning words of the title. If my title was, "The Fairy Princess and the Wicked Witch" you wouldn't capitalize "and" and "the" in the middle of the title.


» Any one read a Harry Potter Book? Well here's an example: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Notice how J. K. Rowling made "And", "The", and "Of" smaller than the rest of the words in the title? It's because they aren't suppose to be capitalized nor important words.

» On another note, you should capitalize He, She, Him, Her, Ms. Mr. Mrs. if they are in the title since it's about a noun in a sense. Nouns need to be capitialized in your titles.

» Here are some words you don't have to capitalize
(unless they are in the beginning of your stories title like "The ___ " or "A ____") :
A
The
Is
It
An
And
As
But
For
Of


» The words like "the", "and", and "of" can be capitalized depending on your preference however most novels, writings, and books, you will find words that aren't longer than four letters, aren't nouns or descriptive words, won't be capitalized.