1/1

Just Listen

"Chanyeol, are you even listening?" Hae Rin waved her hand in front of the zoned out rapper face. "Fine, since you're always like this, I'm not going to listen to you either." Hae Rin huffed and sat back in the bus seat.

A couple minutes passed and Chanyeol grew excited. But, true to her word, Hae Rin paid no attention whatsoever of the deep voiced rapper beside her going on about  their television appearance.

That's what Hae Rin had tried talking to him about before, and how she was so proud of him.

But, she guessed that her opinion of him didn't matter much any more now that they had thousands upon thousands of screaming fangirls. As weird as they might be, Chanyeol loved all his fans. And even though Hae Rin was happy for him and the rest of EXO, she couldn't help but feel a little left out. Forgotten, even.

Because maybe Chanyeol liked being an idol more than he liked her. And maybe, someday, he'd drop her for someone more dedicated. And, even though Hae Rin loved EXO, they weren't her favorite.

Maybe Chanyeol would grow to want someone who absolutely loved his group, and would hang on and anticipate only their performances and comebacks. While Hae Rin waited impatiently for their music and live shows, she didn't do so with baited breath.

She was a fan, but really only because of Chanyeol.

And maybe that's why he loved his fans more than her.

Hae Rin bit her lip and squeezed her hands together in her lap. They had been together for a long time, but fame changed everyone, right?

Chanyeol noticed a subtle change in Hae Rin, his girlfriend of three years, and frowned. He tried calling her, getting her attention, but it didn't work. And he couldn't capture her attention with a kiss as they were out in public and would be seen by fans. He didn't want Hae Rin to be stalked or bashed because of him, so he refrained.

But, as he had never been a very patient person, Chanyeol grew frustrated with Hae Rin's constant disregard for what he was saying.

And, as soon as they got backstage in their dressing room, he confronted her about it, not caring if the rest of the members were there.

"Hae Rin-ah, why are you ignoring me?" Chanyeol whispered, leaning in close to her face. But Hae Rin turned away with a frown. "Hae Rin-ah, you're acting weird. What's wrong?"

Hae Rin bit her lip once more and took a deep breath to calm her nerves. "Don't...don't get too close." She muttered. If he did, she would forgive him. And she didn't want that. She wanted to be angry with him, and punish him for ignoring her and loving his fans more. Even if that was completely selfish of her.

"What?" Chanyeol blanched, "why?"

"I don't want you so close." She answered steady and scooted away.

"Why?" Chanyeol asked, more assertive this time, "what have I done?"

Hae Rin looked away and connected eyes with D.O, who gave her a worried look. He was the only one who knew her hidden feelings and insecurities.

"I..." Hae Rin sputtered.

"Guys, I think we should give those two some privacy, huh?" D.O clapped his hands together and stood up.

"But I wanna know what happens!" Baekhyun protested, "this is better than a drama!" With that, they all left the room, D.O practically dragging Baekhyun away.

"Hae Rin-ah..." Chanyeol said with his impossibly thick voice, "talk to me about what's bothering you."

"You ignore me." She whispered, looking away.

"I ignore you?" Chanyeol blinked, shocked.

"Yes. You don't ever listen to me." Hae Rin grew angry at the tone of his voice. Like he was shocked. Like he didn't know. "You didn't hear a word I said on the bus here." She fumed.

"Yes, I-"

"Don't even try to tell me you did, Chanyeol! You were staring out at the road and even when I smacked your shoulder, you didn't look at me!"

"But I do listen to you, Hae Rin-ah!" Chanyeol defended, but she wasn't buying it.

"No, you don't! You're too obsessed with yourself and your stupid music to think about anything else. Not even the person you've been dating for almost four years!"

"You think my music is stupid?" Chanyeol scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion. He quickly recovered, however, and his anger reflected in his voice. "If it's so stupid, why are you here?"

"Because I like being around you, Chanyeol! I like supporting you. Because I love you and I thought you loved me too!" Hae Rin cried loudly, frustrated and angry and tired.

So, so tired of fighting as it seemed all they did lately. Even of stupid things like using mismatched chopsticks or leaving socks around the house.

"Well, I don't!" Chanyeol shouted, his words slamming down on Hae Rin like a two ton anvil.

"You..."

Chanyeol's face turned to horror as he realized what he had said, "Hae Rin, no, I didn't mean-"

"Save it." Hae Rin ordered, holding back her tears. She couldn't let him see her cry. "I'm leaving." She said, smacking his hands away as she began to walk out the door.

"Hae Rin, please!" Chanyeol shouted and began to follow after her quick pace, but instead was ushered away by a few stylists.

....

Hae Rin had finally stopped crying when she heard the keys to her apartment jingle and the door creek open. She knew who it would be. He was the only other person with keys to her apartment.

"Hae Rin-ah." The bed shifted slightly as Chanyeol sat on it. Since her back was turned towards him, she pretended to be asleep. He wouldn't notice otherwise. "Hae Rin-ah, I know you're not asleep." Chanyeol nudged her shoulder.

His touch burned. A few tears leaked out of Hae Rin's eyes.

"Just let me explain-"

"Explain what? Why you don't love me? Or why you've kept me around so long since you don't?" Hae Rin asked venomously.

"It's not like that, Hae Rin. I do love you, really."

"No, you don't." She announced firmly.

"Yes, I do." He asserted.

"Then why did you say you didn't?" She asked, not moving to face him at all.

"I...I don't know why... It just slipped out."

"Then there must be some truth to it."

"There isn't. Not one bit. Hae Rin, I've loved you since the moment I confessed to you and you accepted me. Me. I wasn't an idol at the time, so all I was was some stupid, smiley dork who everyone thought was a joke. And you accepted that with all your big, gracious, and beautiful heart. I love you because of your heart, and the way you take care of others, especially me. I've told you this before. Don't you feel how much I love you?"

"It kind of changes once you say you don't love me." Hae Rin kept her voice firm, though she was giving in to his mushy words.

"And, despite what you think, I do listen to you. Every word you speak is like a rare treasure. And your words of praise are the most valuable kind."

Hae Rin finally looked at Chanyeol with questioning in her eyes. Chanyeol only smiled.

"You were telling me how proud you were of me and the group, right?" Chanyeol nodded, knowing he had gotten her back. "When you're near, you're the only thing I pay attention to. I know how your nose crunches up just the slightest bit when you laugh, and sometimes when you laugh hard enough, you snort." Hae Rin flushed in embarrassment, "and how your ears turn pink when you're embarrassed. And how your heart flutters ever so slightly when you kiss me. And the little sound you make when I kiss you, as if you're surprised. And I know your favorite color is blue, but you look best in green because it brings out the light rings in your eyes. And when you talk about your family, you get this smile on your face, like you're so proud to be apart if their lives." Chanyeol stopped to lace his hand through Hae Rin's.

"I don't ever ignore you, Hae Rin-ah. You're all I think about."

"Chanyeol..." Hae Rin began, but was cut off with a sweet kiss.

"I'm sorry I made you cry, Hae Rin-ah... Do you forgive me?" Chanyeol brushed his thumb lightly over Hae Rin's cheek with a small smile.

"That was a beautiful speech... Did someone help you with it?" She teased.

"D.O mostly, but I mean every word. He just told me how to phrase my thoughts."

"Even the rare treasure bit?"

"Taken directly from him." Chanyeol grinned.

"I thought so." Hae Rin chuckled.

"So, do you?" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Hae Rin's waist as he settled himself beside her.

"Do I what?" Hae Rin played coy as she sunk into Chanyeol's warmth.

"Forgive me?"

"Of course, you pabo." Hae Rin nodded and kissed Chanyeol's cheek.