Happy Birthday

Surprise!

Today is Lay's birthday and I, being the wonderful girlfriend, planned to surprise him at his dorm today. I had EXO-M help with the surprise and somehow got EXO-K to come too. EXO-M would come back from a schedule to find their dorm dark and, supposedly, empty. They would all celebrate together throughout the day and EXO-K would send messages. BUT, I would not send any call or message to give him the biggest surprise of his life. Yeah, it would be kind of mean, but he hasn't had any fun since his debut and I could see very well that he would need some sort of surprise sooner or later. And I choose sooner on the day of his birthday!

Right now, I'm cooking for the surprise party. The decorations were already up. Balloons and streamers hung from every corner of the dorm. I'd put snow spray and silly string near the door so that when EXO-M comes home, they would be able to grab them and spray him everywhere!

I had not called Lay at all today, but he has tried to call me. With strong determination, I ignored them and continued on with the decorations.

My phone rang with Lay's "Ready, set, oh my!" in Two Moons. I always thought that line was cute.

"Yobaesayeo?" I picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Yun?" Lay's voice rang to my ears.

"Yeap, you are talking to Son Yun. How may I help you?" I spoke like a receptionist.

Going with the flow, Lay answered, "Yes. I would like to ask a question regarding my girlfriend."

I could hear his smile on the other side. I also smiled, "Yes, what is your question?"

"Well, you see, my birthday is today and I would like to know why my girlfriend hasn't been picking up my phone calls or greeting me with a 'Happy Birthday'."

"Oh! Happy birthday, sir. And about your question, I'm afraid she has been too busy today to remember." I tried to squeeze the forming tears back into my eyes. I really didn't want to say that, but because of the surprise, I had no choice.

"You forgot it was my birthday?" Lay's disappointment and disbelief flooded in his voice.

"No! I didn't! I really didn't! It's just that I've been busy with some things that I didn't get a chance to pick up the phone. I'm sorry." It was partly true. I'd fought back the urge to wish him happy birthday when I woke up this morning and throughout the day.

"Oh. I see. You were too busy to wish me a simple 'happy birthday'. I understand." Lay's resolve was clearly heard through the phone.

"No! Lay. Please understand. I really was too busy. Lay." Tears trailed down my cheeks and I tried not to sob into the phone so he wouldn't know I was crying.

"It's alright. i'll call you later." He hung up without waiting for my answer. Hearing him like that, I really wished I hadn't planned this. I didn't know it would be this hard to lie to him.

I wiped away the tears and continued cooking. I was determined that I would celebrate his birthday with him to the fullest. Lay was right to be disappointed in me, but I wanted him to smile more naturally now. it was hard, but I've got to put a permanent smile on his face.

For the rest of the time, I finished cooking and covered them so they wouldn't get cold. As I was finishing covering the last plate, the doorbell rang. I walked to the door and looked into the peephole. EXO-M, and especially Lay, always told me that if I was in their dorm alone, I should always look in the peephole. You would never know if stalker fans ever found their idols' apartment.

Through the peephole, I saw Suho's grinning cae. Smiling, i opened the door to EXO-K.

"Hey guys! Come on in." I stepped aside and let them in.

They took off their shoes at the front and placed them in inconspicuous places so Lay wouldn't notice the extra pairs of shoes. Not that he would ever notice anyway. My shoes were placed out in the front so that EXO-M would know that I was here and ready for the surprise.

"Hey, Yun!" Suho greeted me.

"Yun noona!" Chanyeol ran over, or more like took one giant step, and hugged me.

"Haha, hey oppa. Hello Chanyeol." I laughed as I patted Chanyeol's waist since he was so much taller than I am.

"Hyung! Get off of her! She's Lay hyung's!" D.O. came over and tried to pry off Chanyeol's arms.

Chanyeol chuckled and released me. I smiled and greeted D.O..

"Hey D.O.. How was your flight?"

"It was fine. We mostly slept through it. Well, all of us except Chanyeol hyung. He ate too much candy before boarding the plane."

I laughed, "I see."

"Noona!" A voice came from the kitchen.

"Yes, Sehun?" I went over with D.O. following.

"Did you make all of this?" Sehun was leaning over the dishes and practically drooling.

"Yes. Why? Most of them are Lay's favorites."

"They look amazing and mouth-watering just by looking at them."

"Thank you. I spent most of my time on them." I looked around. "Where's Kai and Baekhyun?"

"In here!" Two voices shouted from the living room. The faint sound of the television was heard.

Reaching the living room, I could sse Kai and Baekhyun sitting on the couch and staring at the television.

"Aish! It's all in Chinese!" Baekhyun threw the remote on the couch.

"Well, duh hyung. We're in China, of course it's all in Chinese." Kai responded, still focusing on the screen.

"At least you can improve it by trying to understand." Suho suggested, sitting on the couch's arm.

Baekhyun glared at the leader but turned back to the screen anyway. I looked at the clock. It was 11PM, which meant Tao would soon be texting me when they would arrive. At that moment, my phone rang of a text message. I held it up and tapped to see the message.

Tao Panda: JieJIe, we're heading to the elevators now~

I panicked, "Guys. They're heading towards the elevators now! Quickly place everything! Kai, turn off the tv!"

EXO-K panicked but only Suho was calm.

"Yun, calm down. What is the plan?"

I took deep breaths, "Okay, you guys are going to turn of the lights and wait for EXO-M to come in. Yell 'surprise' and I would be hiding in one of the rooms with the cake. Say something for a while so I can light the candles. Then one of you would say that you needed to get something and come into the room that I'm hiding in. Make sure that someone else closes the lights when the person comes in. Okay? Okay. Places!" I spoke very quickly and went to grab the cake, candles and lighter.

"They should be here any minute. Remember to close the lights. The snow spray and silly string are by the door. Leave some for the other members when they come in." I said, before going into one of the rooms.

"Alrighty. Let's kill the lights and wait for our Lay to come in." Suho said, turning to the members.

I closed the door and got the cake ready. The cake was a simple thing but big enough for all of us. The simple 'Happy Birthday Lay' was spelled out in the center and the EXO hexagon was above it. I quickly but carefully placed the candles on the cake and waited. I would light the candles after team yelled, "Surprise!" I blocked the slot underneath the door to keep from letting the light be seen in the living room and kept the lights on. I would close them after I light the candles.

I sat on the floor and waited. The plan was so far going well. i don't know why but I was very nervous. My heart was just thumping and it was the only thing I could hear. I kept my ear to the wall to hear what was happening.

The front door was unlocking and EXO-M's voices could be heard. I'm guessing the light were because the big "SURPRISE!" was shouted and everybody was talking over each other. I quickly lighted the candles.

"Wah, it worked!" I could hear Tao's aegyo coming out.

"Haha, surprise Lay!" Xiumin shouted, and I'm guessing, sprayed Lay with silly string.

When the commotion died, Lay spoke. "Wah, you guys planned this?"

"Yep. It was very hard because he had schedules all day." Sehun said, another one with aegyo.

"Thank you very much guys. For celebrating my birthday with me." Lay said. Even though I wasn't in the room, I could tell that Lay was thinking about our conversation earlier. I breathed in to stop the tears. I closed the lights and waited for someone to open the door.

"Okay! Let's get the cake!" Chanyeol said.

"Wait, shouldn't we eat first?" Lay asked.

"Oh wells. It's a surprise party, so shouldn't we park more surprises?" Chanyeol answered. He was good, thinking of an answer like that so quickly.

"Wait, why'd you guys close the lights." Lay asked another.

"So we could see the candles, duh." Luhan answered.

I could hear the doorknob turning. I stood up with the lit cake. The door opened and I met Chanyeol's wide grin. Looking behind his shoulder, I could see that the living room lights were closed. Chanyeol mouthed, "Are you ready?" to me. I nodded and walke out.

Chanyeol and I started singing 'Happy Birthday' and walked out. I held the cake out in front of me and was careful of not tripping. Chanyeol followed behind and made sure I didn't fall or drop the cake.

I searched for Lay's face. His face turned from confused to surprise. He definitely didn't think I would be hiding in hisdorm. He stood up and walked over to me. He stood in front of the cake and me. His smiling face was lit up from the candles, but his smile wasn't directed towards the cake, it was towards me. I smiled back and continued singing till the end.

When the song ended, everybody waited for him to blow out the candles.

"Happy birthday." I whispered. "Make a wish."

He smiled, "It already came true." He blew out the candles.

I smiled and the other cringed at the cheesiness.

"Ugh, god. This was the only reason why I wouldn't want to come. You two are too cheesy." Baekhyun gagged, but Lay kept his eyes on me. He leaned in to kiss me and I lowered the cake so it wouldn't be squished. Chanyeol must've come over and took the cake the away from my hands because it wasn't there when Lay took my hands after our kiss.

"I really thought you forgot my birthday." Lay said, leaning his forehead on mine. I looked up to his beautiful eyes and smile. He always mesmerized me with his smile.

"How would I forget your birthday? Hm?" I said, smiling.

"Well, I was pretty disappointed because of all the guys wished me happy birthday and yet my own girlfriend didn't. You should've seen me today. I was so grumpy I couldn't even think straight. I just followed the schedule while thinking about you. I was a mess today. I couldn't even focus on the MC's questions."

"It's true!" Luhan shouted from the group. They were busy eating food and Sehun, Chanyeol, Xiumin and Tao were eating the cake.

Lay and I laughed. "Happy birthday." I said again and pecked his lips.