Deceit

The Pastor's Wife

 

The Pastor’s Wife

“This is your last chance Mrs. Choi! Did you kill your husband?”

I’m telling you I didn’t kill him!” the detective slammed his palm down on the metal desk in frustration and sighed heavily.

“We have a witness that says you did.” Her eyes widened and her frame shook. Her fingers drummed on the desk, making the walls echo. The AC sputtered the last of its life; it wouldn’t be missed since it didn’t work in the first placem just like her husband.

“You have no prove.”

“Who was it that told you this?”

“M’am I’m asking the questions here.”

Who told you!!” the man in the black suit raked his fingers through his hair. The woman seemed satisfied. She knew he didn’t have any proof just empty words. No one knew. No one would ever know, that the pastor’s wife killed her own husband.

1 Week Before

"I leave you with a last question, my fellow bretheren,. I would like for you to ponder it, there is no right or wrong answer."

“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

“A last reminder, will the ministry please be here at six am on Tuesday morning. We need to go over the restoration of the church project.” The sermon was over and everybody filed outside to the green garden, the flowers lined the sidewalk and the church stood proud and tall. After many years of hard work the pastor had achieved his dream. His church was the best among all. He was loved. He had a beautiful wife, wonderful children and, an amazing home. He had everything anybody would want. He was envied by some but loved by many.

     Siwon stood by the front door greeting newcomers and giving out advice to others. Everything was perfect, or so it seemed.

“Pastor Choi! I really enjoyed today’s sermon.”

Detective file

Name: Kim Kyungmi

Age: 24

Cause of death: Brutally beat, and strangled to death.

The young woman walked up to the pastor and shook his hand. Their gazes lingered on each longer than they should have. He cleared his throat and let her hand go. A light blush tinted her cheeks as she tucked a piece of fine raven colored hair behind her ear and smiled sweetly. A light breeze blew by ruffling his hair, making it land on his face. His chocolate colored  hair accentuated his dark eyes and finely chiseled facial features. He tucked his hands in his trousers pockets and conversed with the woman in front of him.

     Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. From afar the two persons looked like civil people conversing animatedly, but behind that charade lied betrayal. Guilt. Disgust. Lies.

      The children ran around the garden enjoying the fine autumn weather. The ladies spoke about vacation plans and fashion. Everyone was having a swell time except for one. Her mask was slowly cracking. She knew what was going on. She knew about his lies, yet didn’t mutter a thing as respect for her husband was more important, but seeing him with another woman made her blood boil. This isn’t how it’s supposed be. The sky suddenly darkened as if sensing her mood. Angry droplets of water fell from the skies and people ran to their cars to seek shelter.

“Mommy I’m cold, when are going home?”

“As soon as your father gets back sweet heart.” The young girl nodded and huddled close to her older sister; waiting for the rain to subside.

“Put this over your head so you won’t catch a cold Tiffany.” The girl followed her sister’s instructions and pulled the shawl around her small body. The eldest looked up to her mother and questioned her with her eyes, eyes that resembled her father.

“Just a bit longer sweetheart.” A few more minutes and the rain only grew stronger. The winds swept the grass and trees violently. They were standing under the roof of the church's courtyard. It has been an hour and the pastor is nowhere to be found. She’s had it. she’s tired of waiting. She took hold of her daughters hands and steered them towards the direction of their home.

“Let’s go.” Two simple words that held a heavy meaning.

“What about papa?”

“He’ll be home later.”

    Holding hands the three of them walked home. Her daughters shivering because of the cold, and their mother for rage.