☂ : An optional bias scenario

 

You could never understand why people liked the rain. Its nothing but a natural phenomena of the atmosphere, and a dreary one at that. You never heard the supposedly melodic chime that the raindrops made to others. To you rain was just a droning chorus of cold and wet.

Bad things happened when it rained. Things like car crashes, loss of loved ones, and the deaths of beloved furry friends. None of those things every happened to you, of course. Your life was far too uneventful for that.

Unfortunately you didn’t own a car, so every day during the rainy season you had the extremely unpleasant task of walking in the rain to and from school. Fortunately for you, after being released from school today you found that you only had to walk in a light drizzle. Just as you were passing a sports field, umbrella in hand,a strong force pulled the umbrella out of your grasp. Stunned you looked up to see a stray soccer ball and a broken umbrella. The sound of flight feet quickly approached you.

“Hey you okay? Sorry.” You turned your head. Of course you recognized him. He was one of the school’s idols. Tall, nicely built, handsome. He honestly deserved the title. 

“Yeah I’m fine,” you said coolly. Just then, like fate had queued it, the rain went from a light drizzle to a heavy pour. He helped you grab your stuff and you quickly made your way to shelter.

“…” You eyed your broken umbrella and sent him a death glare.

“I’m sorry?” He ran his fingers through his slightly damp hair and sighed. “Look the situation is my fault. Wait here so I can run and get my stuff and then I’ll walk you home.” You opened your mouth to protest, but he had already ran off into the rain.

You weren’t the social type. Walking in the rain was already unpleasant. Sharing an umbrella with someone would make it even more unpleasant. On top of it all, he wasn’t the type of guy you liked to associate with. You found the whole situation distasteful.

He returned quickly and grudgingly you started off. Silence settled in between the two of you as you walked.

You had started a somewhat fast pace since you wanted nothing more than to get home quickly. It was a long walk. “Hey slow down. You walk to fast,” he said suddenly stopping. You had no choice to stop too, since he held the umbrella.

“I don’t like the rain.” you commented dryly. 

He nodded. “I can see that.”

Ignoring him you made a move to start walking again. He followed your lead. Around school he was known as the cool prince. He didn’t talk much, wasn’t flirty, didn’t mess around like some of the other idols. He was polite but didn’t seem to take much interest in things.

“I like it…. the rain.” He said after a while. You turned slightly to look at him, but he wasn’t looking at you. He was looking at the sky. “Its a bit melancholy, but in a sweet way. Like if you were in the habit of drinking tea daily. You settle into a routine, and the routine gets boring, but the tea never fails to give you a feeling of contentment.”

“Maybe,” you replied not sure how to respond to that comparison.

He then did something that caught you completely of guard. He smiled at you. It was a soft smile and it was only for an instant. But it made your heart stutter.

The rest of the walk went by as a blur. You talked more after that, although you don’t quite remember about what. More about the rain maybe. But you remember it was an intelligent conversation. You remember he had managed to make you laugh. 

The whole situation was unagreeable. You didn’t expect that the walk to be so comfortable. You didn’t expect to enjoy his company. And you definitely didn’t expect the sweet feeling of contentment that slowly crept over you while you walked the last few blocks to your house.

And that was your story about your one-sided love. It was simple and cliche. But like the drops of rain that had fallen from the sky that day, you fell for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first fanfic :') How did I do?
I'm aware that this needs a sequel a;sldkjf and I will write one ...
maybe