Chapter 5 → Garlicky Horror

My Boyfriend is a Vampire

Your POV

 

   As I sat at the table, munching incessantly on just one piece of the garlic bread, I watched as the four guys sit there unmoving despite the swarms of girls crowding around them, practically offering food.

 

   "Oppa, do you want some of my sushi? It's delicious! I specially added in super-fresh sashimi..."

 

   "Hoya oppa, let me buy you a drink! Do you want raspberry juice? Or iced milo?"

 

   "Myungsoo oppa, don't you want something sweet like cherries? Or strawberries? I have lots of those~"

 

   "Sungyeol, have a lollipop! Yeollipop! Hehe! It's Coca-Cola flavour, really yummy!"

 

   "Woohyun oppa, let's share an ice cream!"

 

   At the word 'Woohyun', I stiffened till I felt as hard as rock on the inside. It seemed that only Sungyeol had the grace to respond to the crowds of girls, giving them a slight shake of his head and flashing them a small but apologetic smile sincerely.

 

   Well, he's kinda cute anyway...should I give it a shot?

 

   Nah, I'll be loyal and faithful to my one and only Woohyun.

 

   No one will suspect my actions if I offer them food, since practically every single girl in this canteen is doing so. Well, Hyunmi, fighting! I encouraged myself and took a few shaky steps forward to the four guys, grasping the lunch box in my hands which were starting to perspire.

 

   Peeking at my watch, I noticed it was five minutes to the end of lunch, and the crowd was slowly dispersing. Grabbing hold of this chance, I gripped my lunch box with shaky fingers and took another few cautious steps forward. Then before they could go back to their classrooms, I walked up bravely to Sungyeol since he was the only one with response.

 

   "Sungyeol o...oppa," I mumbled, feeling awkward to call a guy I had met on the first day oppa, "I can't finish my bread, can you help me eat it? There's not many people left here..." I took a deep breath and gulped, wondering if I had done the wrong thing.

 

Woohyun's POV

 

  My right eyelid twitched and I knew that something was amiss. Whipping around, I caught sight of a girl walking towards us.

 

   Not again...

 

   I don't mean the offering of food. I meant HER. That annoying girl from morning who kept burning holes in my head by staring at me all day long. As she presented Sungyeol dongsaeng with the lunch box, my frustration turned into irritation. It was FIVE MINUTES till the end of lunch, yet she was still offering food like we were the altar?! We were about to go!

 

   Grunting in impatience, I sat there, waiting, until I caught the stench.

 

   No...don't let it be...

 

Sungyeol's POV

 

   "Sungyeol o...oppa, I can't finish my bread, can you help me eat it? There's not many people left here..."

 

  Hearing a timid voice whisper, I looked up to see the cutegirl I had met earlier on. The one I presumably fell in love with. For a moment, I sat there in a daze. She had called me 'oppa' like other girls! My heartbeat increased in rate, palpitating wildly against my chest. Wait...since when did I get a HEARTBEAT?

 

   "Well?" the girl blushed a deep shade of pink. Not wanting to make her feel bad, I accepted her lunch box, receiving it with both hands while I felt the other three members shoot daggers into my head. After all, she was in need of help, and I should lend her a helping hand.

 

   Don't get me wrong - of course vampires drink blood, but we CAN eat food too. Only it would taste blander to us than to humans. Humans refer to blood as 'Cool metallic taste' while we do so as 'Heavenly sweeter-than-honey liquid'. Yeah, different appetites.

 

   But I don't care even if I had to help her eat her HUMAN food. Blehh, super disgusting, but whatever.

 

   As I lifted the cover, a strong stench of the thing I loathe most came to my nose. It seemed to upset something in my stomach and I was gripped with horror. Tears of pain tickled the sides of my eyes.

 

   GARLIC.

 

   Flinging the lunch box onto the ground, I flailed my arms wildly and stood up in shock. The rest also seemed to rouse as they hurriedly got up, nearly tripping over their seats. An irritant stung my eyes as I raised my hands to rub them. Even cold Myungsoo had slapped a hand onto his nose and was blinking profusely.

 

  Hoya, who was the most composed, had let out a deafening yelp like a dog and in his hurry to get away, slipped and fell on his knees, one of that which got a small purple bruise. Waving his hand above it, the bruise slowly shrunk and what was left of the wound was a light pink scar.

 

   Woohyun, who had not spoken a word all day, started firing a verbal volley of vulgarities as he got up abruptly and sprinted away. Following him, the other three of us hurriedly rushed behind him. Without warning, we dashed up the stairs.

 

   By dashing up the stairs, I mean jumping from the ground floor to the top step of that flight of stairs.