Chapter 19 → The Shadow

My Boyfriend is a Vampire

No One's POV

 

  Noticing their worn out and exhausted expressions, Hyunmi instantly got up from the comfy leather sofa and made her way over to the fancy kitchen to get them the emergency glasses of fresh red blood for them. She didn't understand how she knew that blood was the medicine which would cure their exhaustion and provide them with sufficient energy to do their daily activities. She just knew. 

 

  Trudging towards the kitchen while trying to process and digest everything which she had seen before, she pulled the doors of the first cabinet with a flourish to find countless glasses of deep maroon blood sitting inside. Cringing at the odour the liquid emitted, the thought that the blood belonged to harmless, innocent humans and the sight of the glasses filled to the brim with the deep red liquid, she set exactly seven glasses on the kitchen countertop, while wrinkling my nose.

 

  Sighing and rubbing her nose fervently, she whisked out a dark grey tray from the light brown cupboard next to the first and with tender fingers, set the seven glasses of blood meticulously on the tray, and with trembling but strong hands, lifted it and shuffled over to the living room.

 

  At least, that was her intention.

 

  However, seeing the dark figure lurking in the shadows of the kitchen, in the dusty corner just after where the countertop ends, seeming to be reaching out for her, definitely wasn't.

 

   "Omo!" Hyunmi let out a scream in her extreme fright. Her trembling fingers which had been carrying the heavy tray with the glasses colliding with one another started to quiver even more, causing her palms to sweat. As her clammy palms wet with perspiration reduced the friction between them and the sides of her tray, it slid from her hands, collapsing onto the ground in a huge deafening crash.

 

  The plastic tray created a large impact as it made contact with the cool marble floor and from the height Hyunmi had lifted it to, it wasn't surprising that the seven glasses of blood also created a huge sound, shattering into lots of sharp little pieces on impact. Several - no, lots - shards of sharp glass fell by her ankles, riddling her feet and calves with cuts. Crimson blood emerged from the tiny but many wounds on my legs, yet I didn't notice, since I was preoccupied with staring at the strange shadow in the corner. My face turned ashen.

 

  "Hyunmi!" the vampires screeched the moment they heard the deafening crash of the tray and glasses. Exhaustion from demonstrating their powers was immediately forgotten and gone with the wind, and replaced with worry. The seven members of Infinite were beside her in a flash, concern written all over their faces and studying her wounds carefully, not giving a hoot about the crimson blood splattered all over the originally sparkling white floor. 

 

  Hyunseung, apparently having heard the commotion from upstairs, came scrambling down the stairs in such a hurry that he almost tripped and fell down. Having been a friend of Hyunmi for so many years and taking care of her like an older brother, he instantly knew what to do. Rushing to the kitchen, he showered Hyunmi with concern.

 

  "Hyunmi, are you all right?"

 

  "Hyunmi, you okay?"

 

  "Hyunmi, what happened?"

 

  "Do your wounds hurt?"

 

  Hyunseung bombarded Hyunmi with questions as he gently helped her to the nearby dining table and assisted her in sitting on the wooden chair, even though she had assured him that she was fine. Sunggyu, realising that there was already a start in helping to tend to her wounds, instantly scrambled over to the floor and in his lightning vampire speed, used his strong hands to clean up the sharp pieces of glass, trying his best not to cut himself and leak his inky liquid all over the floor. Dongwoo and Sungjong, seeing this, hurried over to help, also trying not to slip on the blood.

 

  Myungsoo and Hoya were filling up containers of clean water from the tap and washing the blood and little shards of stuck glass away from Hyunmi's many wounds. Some were pretty deep, and practically leaked out the blood. Very soon, a container of water, transformed into deep red from the blood from the wounds, was sitting on the floor just under her extended legs. All the while, Hyunmi was wincing in pain at the stinging when water was running over it.

 

   While the others were all preoccupied in their work, Woohyun and Sungyeol were desperately rummaging through drawers and drawers of the kitchen, trying to search for the first aid kit. Constantly slipping on the blood in their hurry, their minds were totally blocked out. Only one thing was on their minds. Hyunmi.

 

  Finally after what seemed like eternity, a breathless Sungyeol finally found the first aid kit, which seemed like the most precious treasure to him at the moment. Grabbing it from the drawer, he dashed over to Hyunmi, huffing and puffing and breathing like a bull, he set it on the dining table. 

 

  "Let me," he heard a voice erupt behind him.

 

  Woohyun sprung around to tend to Hyunmi's wounds. Never full of worry like this before, he was really confused himself.

 

  Why am I caring so much for her?

 

  Yet it wasn't the time to ask himself worthless questions. Hurrying over and kneeling on the ground next to Hyunmi since the seats on either side of her were already taken, he carefully and gently plucked out the large pieces of glass which the running water wasn't able to remove and when some blood started gushing out, he poured a little cold water over it. Patting the wounds with a soft dry towel, he then proceeded to get some sterile gauze from the first aid kit and bandaged each wound carefully.

 

  "There, it's done," Woohyun muttered as he finally bandaged the last wound on her calves, which were practically striped with bandages. Woohyun couldn't understand why he was caring for a girl whom he had thought was irritating since the moment he saw her.

 

  Had.

 

Your POV

 

   After my wound had been thoroughly cleaned and bandaged, I stood up from my seat and glanced around the room.

 

  Sunggyu, Dongwoo and Sungjong who were picking up the glass shards.

 

  Myungsoo and Hoya who were busily draining the water mixed with blood into the sink and down the drain. My blood, to be exact.

 

  Sungyeol, who was staring at me in concern and my bandaged wounds gently.

 

  Woohyun, who was stuffing the excess bandages into the first aid kit, preparing to keep it.

 

  And the whole floor, with deep red blood splattered all over it. The once sparkling spotless white marble floor - now with maroon-coloured odour-emitting blood covering it. How glamorous.

 

  And it's all my fault for spilling the blood because my eyes were probably playing tricks on me.

 

  Sighing, I shuffled to the bathroom to get the mop to mop up the mess which I had made.

 

  Well...intended to.

 

  Before I knew it, the slippery floor had tripped me over, and I was falling on my back. Squeezing my eyes shut and bracing myself for the painful impact, I took a deep breath, and with my pessimistic mind, told myself it could be one of the last. But it never came.

 

  The painful impact, I mean.

 

  All I felt was a soft, strong yet warm arm snake around my back and catch my body effortlessly, and another hand resting on my left shoulder, preventing me from falling. My saviour. Yet I didn't know who he was, since my eyes were still closed. Since Sungyeol had been the closest to me when I was falling over, I automatically assumed it was him.

 

  "Thanks, Sungyeol," I muttered incohorently.

 

  "Sungyeol?"

 

  I seperated my lower and upper eyelids to look up at my knight in shining armour, only to find my crush standing there with me in his arms. For a moment, we just stood there staring into each others' eyes passioniately. His eyes were beautiful, perfectly shaped and dark brick red-brown. It just felt like the two of us, without Infinite at the side, enjoying the peaceful alone moment. After a long time of the intimate moment, my cheeks burned scarlet as I quickly straightened myself and mumbled a thank you.

 

Woohyun's POV

 

   Oh god...I think I'm falling in love with this irritating girl. That moment when I stared into her eyes...I could have sworn I felt a heartbeat palpitating in my chest...