Chapter 17 → Powers #1; Plan Fail

My Boyfriend is a Vampire

Your POV

 

  Within a few minutes, Hyunseung was standing on the spotless marble floor of the living room, a luggage bag trailing after him as he was pulling it like a faithful puppy following its master. Setting the luggage on the ground, he scrutinised the entire room, taking every little part of it into his memory. After which, he glanced at all the members of Infinite, giving them a questioning look as if he was expecting them to do something.

 

  A silence fell over the whole room as Infinite stared back with similar questioning looks on their faces. 

 

  After what seemed like an eternity, Hyunseung finally opened his mouth and the word, "Introduction?" escaped from in between his pink lips. Not being able to resist, I chuckled at Hyunseung's habit of being indirect striking. The usual cold looks on Infinite's faces had drowned and were replaced by adorable confused looks. It was like they had opened up to us.

 

  "I'm Sunggyu, and I'm 18 years old, just like you. On first sight, I may seem cold, but please don't hesitate to ask me anything. Dongwoo here has informed us that he has told you our deepest darkest secret...so...I guess I should introduce my powers as well. I have the power of reading others' minds and my element is water," Sunggyu made a bold introduction, just like any leader would do, "and to demonstrate my power, I can hear that...you are thinking about the time when your mother left you at the orphanage and you were a loner for 6 years until Hyunmi here...joined you..."

 

  "Hyunmi, you're an orphan?" Sungyeol turned to me with a worried expression on his face, and I could tell he truly sympathised with me. A variety of emotions stirred up in me as the moment flashed in my mind again. Trying to prevent myself from crying on the spot, I gave him a small meek smile and kept my head down, biting on my lower lip. Being the sweet, caring guy as he is, Hyunseung immediately came over and gave my hand a squeeze, making me feel comfortable almost instantly.

 

  Trying to switch back the subject and make me forget about being an orphan, Dongwoo immediately stepped forward to give a brief introduction, "Hey, you already know who I am, since I'm your...half-brother. I'm 17 years old, 1 year younger than you, so you're my hyung. Please bear with my impatience. My power is invisibility and my element is fire." Then to prove that he has the power of invisibility, he demonstrated by disappearing into thin air while Hyunseung and I stared in shock.

 

  Soon he materialised again with a huge grin on his face. "Impressive, huh?"

 

  "Woohyun. I can tell the future. Earth," Woohyun muttered simply. His cold side was back again, the number of words spoken very minimal. Then I remembered the huge change when I was teaching him cooking, when he as all bright and cheerful and even like me - curious.

 

  Maybe I'm the one who is supposed to open the shell locking him inside and release his soul. Even with the cold attitude, I could tell, definitely, that he wasn't that bad. Yet he remained cold to others, like Hyunseung, who was raising an eyebrow at his attitude.

 

  "Hi, I'm Hoya. I'm 16 and I'm a cheerful guy but I don't really like to speak around others who don't know our secret. My power is making time freeze and my element is air." He then resumed to freeze time into place, causing everything to stop in place except him, Hyunseung and me. Infinite were still on the sofa, not moving one bit, not even to blink their eyes or to breathe. A piece of paper which was drifting to the floor due to a gust of wind from the fan seemed to be levitating, floating in the air.

 

  I was awed. Maybe I could use this technique to stop lessons at school...

 

  He proceeded to unfreeze time and Infinite were sitting up, blinking and breathing like nothing ever happened. I gave Hoya a warm smile and smirked at the clueless members of Infinite.

 

  "Hey! I'm Sungyeol. I'm the dork and choding of Infinite. I can teleport - cool eh? - and my element is electricity. I can control lightning. I'm your dongsaeng, I'm 16," Sungyeol chirped happily as he reached out a hand with a warm smile to Hyunseung. His happiness was contagious, as a smile slowly formed on Hyunseung's face as he grasped his hand and pumped it up and down. "You should probably know that I can teleport, since I went to get you and Hyunmi."

 

  "I'm L and I can control hearts and minds, and also others' feelings to make them feel better or worse, depending on the situation. My element is wind, I can cause very strong winds to occur. I am 16 years old, like Hyunmi," L, the cool guy, smiled and held up a hand to Hyunseung. Immediately, I felt the stiff Hyunseung relax a little. Not knowing how he did that, I blinked in confusion. 

 

  "Yeah, I'm feeling better now, from just now," Hyunseung politely nodded.

 

  "I'm the maknae, Sungjong, and I'm Infinite's pretty boy. I can comfort others, and my power is flying. My element is nature. I love flowers, plants, trees, animals, everything!" Sungjong happily bounded up to Hyunseung to give him a big hug, who was clearly surprised but hugged back. The close friendship growing between them was enough to make me giggle. 

 

  "What are your elements for? What do they mean? What can you do with them?" Hyunseung looked a little lost.

 

  "Well...it's a pretty sensitive subject, but I should tell you. We need them to battle with the...bad guys. To be more specific, ghosts. Well, they want to take over the entire world, and make humans their slaves, so it's our job to fight with them and kill all of them. Sounds easy, but it's really difficult. They are even stronger than us, and there are more of them. In fact, one whole clan, not just a small number like us," Sunggyu meekly said while Infinite exchanged glances.

 

  "So...you're protecting us?"

 

  "Well, yeah. And to strengthen ourselves, we have to blood...from girls. Don't think we are bad guys, we are only doing that for the sake of protecting humans," Sunggyu added hurriedly as Hyunseung immediately ran to me and hugged me tightly. Apparently he had gotten afraid that Infinite would drink my blood, yet my intuition told me that they really wouldn't.

 

  "Can you demonstrate how you use your elements?" Hyunseung inquired.

 

Woohyun's POV

 

   "Well, if you wish," Sunggyu meekly stated as the rest of us pushed him forward to set an example for us first, "me first?"

 

  Gosh, Sunggyu could be such a blur grandpa sometimes.

 

  The rest of us watched in anticipation as Sunggyu strolled over to the kitchen and the tap at the sink. Then placing his hands under the gushing water of the running tap, he held out both of his hands, acting like a bucket filled with clean water, and blew on it gently. 

 

  The result which came out was so great that it even amazed us vampires.

 

  Bubbles formed in the water, which grew to a huge size as Sunggyu stared at it with his killer gaze. Eventually the bubbles grew so huge that one of them would be able to accommodate even the tallest of Infinite, Sungyeol. As the bubbles continued to grow and merge together to form a gigantic water balloon, Sunggyu flung it forcefully with his right hand to the main door of our house.

 

  CRASH.

 

  All of the clear glass paned windows had been smashed into a million smithereens with a deafening crash. The coffee table had such an impact that besides being overturned, it had even split into two pieces of wood. Fortunately, none of us was hurt as we had gotten out of the way in time. The cushions on the sofa were strewn everywhere on the ground and even one of the railings on the stairway had broken. 

 

   And with a wave of his hand, Sunggyu restored everything and peace returned. The living room was like the incident had never happened. As I watched Hyunmi to see her reactions, I noticed that was open in her amazement and she was staring up at Sunggyu in admiration. Sunggyu definitely did drink a lot of blood with the unusually strong powers.

 

  Sunggyu proudly strode back to his seat with a huge grin on his face.

 

  "My turn!" Dongwoo, who apparently got jealous of Sunggyu's huge power, wanted to prove to everyone that he was 'the best'. Stretching out two hands with the palms facing up, he fixed his intense glare on them and focused with all his concentration. Before long, his hair had also turned a fiery red from the light brown it had been before.

 

   Fire began to rise from his palms into the air, and as the fire grew from a lit candle size to a bushfire size, he clapped his hands together with a CLANG! and the stairs were soon on fire. It seemed impressive - the huge fire started on the first step of the staircase and spread to the whole step before spreading to the other steps. The whole stairway was soon lit with fire.

 

  And Sunggyu started making another water balloon - this time much smaller - and hurled it at the staircase, putting out the fire. The staircase turned black with soot, but when Dongwoo flicked a finger at the railing, the black was soon absorbed by the marble steps and the staircase was a shining perfect midnight black.

 

  "Wow...Dongwoo...that was amazing," I heard Hyunmi mumble as she clapped her hands together sub-consciously. Getting pretty jealous of the attention she gave to Dongwoo, I was determined to do something to amaze and impress her. I didn't know why I was acting like this, but I just felt like it.  I had to do something impressive.

 

  And when I have such a lame element with nothing to impress. Earth. Oh well.

 

   Once Dongwoo had went back to his place, I stepped forward and decided to start with the basics.

 

  Mustering up all of my power, I clenched my fists together so tightly that my pearly white teeth chattered as the friction increased when they grinded together. Combining the power of my two fists, I let the strength surge through my entire body before making the final blow. Raising my foot high up, I used all the force to penetrate it deep into the ground.

 

  Creating a large, deep gaping hole in the ground. Cracks started to form from all the corners of the room as the house began to rattle hard, as if an earthquake had struck. Yet I ensured the safety of everyone in the room.

 

   Especially Hyunmi.

 

  Yet I was secretly chanting in my heart. Jang Hyunseung, get too close to Hyunmi and I'll push you in.

 

  The force was so huge that it even spread to the outside woods, and the trees started to be uprooted and some of them fell in a colossal heap on the damp ground. The dead piles of leaves on the floor had also been affected, flying around as if there was no tomorrow. The trees started falling like dominoes, crashing into one another and falling down forcefully. The glass in the windows shattered once again as the trees crashed into them.

 

  "Hyung!" Sungjong whimpered as he waved his hand over my head. Being taller than me AND having the power of flight did have its benefits. As he flew over and snapped his fingers, the trees started to fly back and regain its original state. Even birds had started to fly over and nest in them. Flowers had started to bloom on the trees and the pretty shades of red, pink and yellow contrasted to the bright green of the leaves. The dead leaves had been decomposed and turned into natural fertilisers.

 

  "Wow! Sungjong, you are awesome!" Hyunmi seemed awed.

 

  Plan fail.