Chapter 16 → Reunited

My Boyfriend is a Vampire

Dongwoo's POV   

 

   My...half brother?   

 

   I couldn't believe my mother's words. My thoughts were all messed up, swarming around my mind as if a fan had been switched on and strong wind was blowing at flimsy pieces of paper which flew around. I gaped at my mother in shock. My mother definitely didn't seem like the type of person who would abandon her own child at a young age.

 

  The person Hyunmi took home, the person who was Hyunmi's best friend, the person whom Hyunmi had cared for so much, the person who requested to live here, the person whom my mother had given birth to, loved so much, cared for so much and yet abandoned at the end.

 

   Hyunseung.

 

   My brother.   

 

   And as my mother told me later on after her long story of her past, Hyunseung's surname was identical to mine. Jang. And that made the situation more realistic.

 

   Jang Hyunseung.

 

   My half brother who was older than me by a year and whom my mother had abandoned at an orphanage. We shared the same mother, and she was willing to care for me for her whole life while she heartlessly abandoned the other son.

 

  "Dongwoo, please do mom a favour, will you? Go out and get Hyunseung back. He can't accept the fact that I am his mother, and it's all my fault. I shouldn't have told him so suddenly...and besides, he grew up being an orphan. All because of me. I knew it was the wrong choice...I shouldn't have abandoned him...even if I were a vampire, I should have taken care of him until he was strong and old enough to live on his own..." my mother sobbed and choked back tears.   

 

   I didn't need to be told twice. I ran. And since the fog in the woods was so thick and there were so many trees packed so tightly together, Hyunseung didn't go far, just like I had predicted. He was sitting on the ground which was damp with mud and piled on by vast amounts of dead brown leaves, and leaning on his back against a sturdy tree trunk. I could tell he felt like those dead leaves - lifeless, meaningless, cold and empty, after finding out the painful truth so abruptly.

 

   He kept his head down, yet I could see the drops of tears dripping down like the dewdrops on the bright green leaves falling onto the ground. He packed his knees tightly against his chest with his muscular arms wrapped around them.

 

  "Hyung?" I called out, hoping for a reply. He kept silent, yet he was polite and respectful enough to turn his head to face me. He had really been weeping after all, with teary red eyes and glistening cheeks, proving that water - specifically teardrops - had once rolled down them. His eyebrows were deeply furrowed and he appeared to be really upset and traumatized.

 

  "My mother...she abandoned me. And now she still has the cheek to call me her son!" he shouted out loud, unable to control himself. Being overly angry, he rammed his fist into the tree trunk, his knuckles cracking under the huge force he had applied.

 

   I sighed. It hadn't really been my mother's fault.

 

  "Hyunseung, I'll tell you something about the seven of us, plus my mother. Please don't freak out, okay?"

 

   He didnt respond at all. He'd been listening, but didn't have the heart to reply. I could understand that. If I were him, I wouldn't even be able to speak with all the tears and overpowering emotions. Staring far into the distance at the towering trees and the dark caramel brown leaves which had settled on the muddy ground, he appeared listless and lifeless.

 

  "We're...vampires," I said simply.

 

   Now, that triggered a response from him.

 

  The moment he processed that, he whipped around abruptly to face me. Suspicion was in his eyes, but I could detect a trace of fear and trust in them That bit of trust was enough to make me heave a sigh of relief. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to let him know.

 

  "My mother left you at the orphanage because she got captured by a vampire, and to avoid dying and leaving you all alone with your father, she defended herself, causing the vampire to bleed and she was gasping for air, so she swallowed the drop of blood and became a vampire. She left you as she was afraid of hurting you."    Suspicion left his eyes, replaced with worry and emphathy. 

 

  "No wonder..." a knowing look suddenly came up onto his face, "she had loved me so much, when she was cradling me and even though I was really young then, I could see the love in her eyes. She couldn't have abandoned me without reason...and then the part where I was confused, I saw the two sharp incisors sprouting out from her lips that one time...it was unforgettable. Definitely how I didn't forget even though that was seventeen years ago..."

 

   "Hyunmi? Is she one? She's not, right? Why is she living with you? How come-" he suddenly appeared to be really worried and anxious, and a huge bunch of questions were blurted out from his mouth.

 

  "No, Hyunmi isn't a vampire. She's just really bright and curious and very, very alert and also very very very intelligent, that's why on the first day of school, she had already figured that we are vampires. And she was brave enough to admit it to us, and to accept her as a friend, we let her stay. Well, we have too many rooms anyway."

 

   A smirk slowly formed on his face, which I noticed almost immediately.

 

  "Well, I'm in need for a place to stay anyway..."

 

   Since he was my mother's son - and my mother had even proved that - plus I was his...half brother, and also with the fact that he was great friends with the new sweet girl Hyunmi, I couldn't find I way to reject him. And I agreed. And when I did, he had made a mad dash  to the house so fast that it could compare to the speed of us vampires, even if the house was just a mere few paces away.

 

Your POV

 

   Just as I was worrying about Hyunseung to the level that I wanted to go out, even with the thick foggy air, into the woods-like place to find him, Hyunseung suddenly burst into the house and ran over to me. And enveloped me in a big, warm hug, one which I hadn't experienced for many years, with the exception of that in the supermarket. It was like cuddling a huge teddy bear since he was so warm...

 

   And so brother-like.

 

  "Oh, Hyunmi! It's going to be like the old times...we'll be living together again!" Those words seemed to jolt me. I couldn't contain my feelings...my only childhood friend, whom I had spent an enriching nine years with, was going to stay and live with me again!

 

   I squealed.

 

  Something I hadn't done in millions of years.

 

  The last time I squealed...was with Hyunseung too.   

 

Flashback   

 

   "Hey, Bae Hyunmi, wake up. We're going somewhere...special," Hyunseung's voice muttered in Hyunmi's  ear as she stirred in her sleep, facing the dark brown door.

 

   "Oppa, I want my beauty sleep!" Hyunmi groaned in annoyance as she turned to sleep on the other side, this time facing the windows at the other side of the cramped but cosy room.

 

   "Oh come on Bae Hyunmi," Hyunseung said loudly as he pulled the sheer olive green curtains aside, causing light to filter in and shine on Hyunmi's face, causing her to rouse from sleep.

 

   Before she had any time to complain again, Hyunseung had reached his long fingers out to smooth down her chestnut hair, comb them through her bangs, sweep them to the side and then push her into the bathroom along with a set of clothes.

 

   "Wash up and change!" Hyunseung grinned as he went out to prepare for the 'surprise'.    Before long, Hyunmi had emerged from the bathroom, mumbling incoherently, and dressed in the pink and white striped open shoulder tee, black skirt and light pink hoodie Hyunseung had picked out.

 

   The tired and irritated attitude, however, changed within seconds of arriving at their destination. The few minutes spent on taking the bus had hardly been noticed by Hyunmi who had been nodding off to sleep, yet there, she became wide awake.

 

   "Wow!" Hyunmi exclaimed as she caught sight of the thrilling rides a distance away. Trendy music blasted in her ears. The sweet aroma from the popcorn and cotton candy filled her nostrils as she inhaled deeply.

 

   She was at the amusement park.

 

   Where she had her first, and latest squeal at.

 

 


 

 AUTHOR'S NOTE 

 

   I'm sorry for the awkward and really weird flashback. I was just trying to imply that she only squeals when she is really, really happy and that her two squeals were when Hyunseung was present. I was also trying to say that she likes amusement parks~

 

   Well back to here.

 

   I'M TOTALLY FREE~

 

No more videos.

No more P6 Farewell.

No more preparation.

No more projects.

No more CCA.

No more performances.

 

   Which means I get to update with longer chapters! :D I'll even be trying for another chapter today hehe~

 

   Oh, and I love you so much! Guess what? I have 30 subscribers for this story!

 

   Well, it's very few, yet I'm really grateful :D

 

   I was even scared that I wouldn't gain any subscribers since this is the rewritten version, and even the first one had around 50+ So I'm really, really thankful to all of you for making this possible. I'll be a good author, I promise.