Chapter 15 → He's My Son?

My Boyfriend is a Vampire

Woohyun's POV

 

  "Hey guys. We've got a visitor here."

 

  Trailing behind Sungyeol stepped in Hyunmi, who was staring down at the spotless marble floor, refusing to look in anyone's direction and biting on her lower lip. And behind her followed someone - not just any random guy, but the guy whom I had seen at the supermarket. The flash of bright red of his hair was unmistakable as he scanned the area with his deep brown eyes with furrowed eyebrows as they landed on Infinite.

 

  "Mimi-ah, you live with seven guys?" he said 'seven' as if it was a swear word, "All the more I should stay here and make sure they don't do anything bad to you," he emphasised on the word 'bad' and threw us a dirty look. The glare he shot us totally left Infinite speechless as they glanced at each other with confused expressions on their faces. I, however, had a feeling burning my heart which I realised was envy. I wondered why I felt so overprotective over Hyunmi and envied Hyunseung for being able to protect her from so-called 'baddies'.

 

  "Seungie oppa, they've been really nice and kind to me so far, and four of them are my classmates in school. I'm sure they wouldn't do anything bad to me." I cringed when she called him 'oppa', and the overpowering feeling burned my heart continuously, almost to a crisp.

 

  Wait. A heart? But no heartbeat?

 

  "Oh, and I've been meaning to ask you this question. Mimi-ah, why the hell are you staying with seven males?"

 

No One's POV

 

  Hyunmi became troubled, as she had no idea what to say and how to answer Hyunseung's question as she felt his prying eyes digging into her. Looking at one another with a worried look, Infinite's eyebrows pinched together as they stared at Hyunmi, wondering what her response would be. Sunggyu tried to pry into Hyunmi's thoughts, yet the tension in the air was so thick that he had to take a longer time to process her thoughts.

 

  If I don't tell him that Infinite are actually vampires, he won't know forever. After all, he's bound to know sometime...but if I tell him, Infinite will get furious at me, and he'll freak out, probably not wanting to be my friend anymore. Yet if I don't tell him, he won't know why I'm living with them...oh god someone save me!

 

   Sunggyu peered around to look at the other members' responses. Dongwoo was scratching his head and pulling on his hair lightly, apparently frustrated. Woohyun was glaring at Hyunseung with sharp eyes while frowning so deep that it created creases on his normally perfect and smooth forehead. Sungyeol was gazing at Hyunmi, feeling anxious for her and afraid that Hyunseung would create any sudden moves. Hoya, L and Sungjong were expressionless and emotionless while watching the scene unfold before them, yet he could tell that they were also deeply worried.

 

Sunggyu's POV

 

  Trying to create a change in the tense atmosphere and wanting to get an answer out of the situation, I nudged Dongwoo with my right elbow on his shoulder and whispered to him, "Ask your mom."

 

  Dongwoo immediately understood and stood up right.

 

  "Why don't I call my mom to ask if she approves of you staying here first? We'll answer all questions after that happens," Dongwoo provided a reasonable suggestion as everyone else nodded and he whipped out his black iPhone to call his mother. Telling her the troublesome situation in hushed tones, he announced to everyone after he had hung up that his mother would be arriving soon.

 

  The atmosphere turned awkward. I noticed Hyunseung giving the troubled Hyunmi a squeeze of her hand as they gazed into each other's eyes with a small smile. 

 

  Sungyeol has a very advanced, experienced rival here.

 

Your POV

 

  After a few minutes of lolling on the sofa in uncomfortable silence, the doorbell rung, resonating around the entire living room. Dongwoo instantly got up from the couch in the blink of an eye and rushed to the snowy white door, to pull it open. 

 

  A beautiful looking middle aged lady stepped in, muttering, "What's this about a human male requesting to live here?" while taking off her shiny silver flats. Yet the instant she caught sight of Hyunseung sitting on the sofa next to me, she got a huge shock. Her face turned ashen and she clapped her hand over hard, creating a slapping sound. With the hand covering , I could barely make out a gasp which escaped from it.

 

   "Oh my..."

 

  "Dongwoo, is this him? The visitor? The guest?" she spoke frantically in hurried gasps. I was confused. It seemed like this middle aged lady who was Dongwoo's mother actually...knew Hyunseung. Infinite looked equally confused as we all whirled around to stare at Dongwoo, who was also in a confused mode. Not knowing about what was happening, he nodded while scratching his head, a habit of his which I noticed.

 

Hyunseung's POV

 

  The middle aged lady looked at me with amazement and surprise written all over her face as she smiled widely at me, revealing a set of white teeth. All of a sudden, she lunged forward and grabbed my arm, dragging me towards her. Then using her freakingly long fingers, she caressed my face, particularly my soft cheeks.

 

  "Hyun...hyunseung. It's really you! You look just the same when you were a baby, your almond eyes, your thin pink lips, your attached earlobes...and the dark mole is still there, in its position on your neck. You were such an adorable baby when I gave birth to you! I'm so sorry Hyunseung, for abandoning you at the orphanage. I had my reasons. I didn't want you to be the son of a...a dangerous creature. I was afraid to harm you."

 

  I froze and gasped in horror as I turned to her. Being abandoned at the tender age of one, I had a vague memory of her. She looked almost exactly like my mother...similar facial features, just older. And back then, her hair was jet black and her hands, those hands which always held on to my tiny body, preventing me from being hurt in places of danger...

 

  Now, her hair was streaked with glimmering strands of white and the hands were wrinkled with age, the skin covering her bony hands so loosely.

 

  I couldn't believe that the woman in front of me was my mother.

 

  The one who abandoned me.

 

  Thinking that this was all a dream, I shook my head vigorously, clearing out all the thoughts and pinched myself to bring myself back to reality. Blinking my eyes at the floor to prevent the tears from spilling out, I gathered my courage and looked up with teary eyes.

 

  No, she's still there. This isn't a dream.

 

  I couldn't stop myself, and ran out of the house, tears b in my eyes and threatening to fall any time.

 

Dongwoo's POV

 

   "Mom! That's...that's your son? How come I didn't know I had a brother? What's this about abandonment? You said you gave birth to him...and if you did, then shouldn't he be...a vampire too?"

 

  My mom nodded once, then shook her head again, as if she was confused.

 

  "My dear Dongwoo," she gazed at me sadly, "that's your half brother. I married this man, he was lovely and charming, and has all the traits I want for my ideal man. Soon after, I gave birth to this baby, Hyunseung. Yet one year later, when he was just one year old and at home, I got captured away by one of us. He tried to on my blood...

 

  "But I didn't want to lose to him, so I grabbed this sharp shard of glass which I found laying on the floor, since he had filled up this glass bottle with blood and accidentally dropped it, shattering the glass on impact, and used it to create a long cut on him. Since he was pinching onto my nose, I was gasping for air using my mouth which was wide open, and the blood from his arm fell into it.

 

  "I made the grave mistake of swallowing it. After which, I became one of you. I was so scared that I would hurt my dear son with my overpowering thirst for blood, and I didn't want to let my husband know since I feared having him leave me. So I abandoned Hyunseung at the orphanage and left abruptly.

 

  "Fortunately soon after, I met this lovely vampire male who was willing to dedicate his whole lifetime as an immortal to me. We married, and I gave birth to Dongwoo one year after Hyunseung's birth.

 

  "So, Dongwoo. Hyunseung's your half brother."