My Noodles

If It Means I Can Catch You (Sequel to She's Perfect)

“MY GOD WOULD YOU STOP GIGGLING AND SIT DOWN?!” Sharon irritably wailed from the couch. With it being the holidays and foreign trainees having no way of travelling to their home countries, Sharon, Joobi, and Jiho were stuck at their dorm in Incheon.

“Give her a break. She has a date today,” Jiho retorted as she passed the living room to enter her room.

“Yah! You always show favoritism to Joobi!!” Sharon pouted as she threw a pillow and missed.

“Well maybe if you fed me like she does I’d show favoritism to you.” Jiho called behind her and shut the bedroom door.

In the middle of the little ordeal, elated Joobi paced around the room with her newly dyed pink layers bouncing along with her. At the sound of her latest squeal to Baekho’s text message, Sharon gave up and headed to the kitchen for a snack.

The doorbell rang. Joobi’s head shot up and she screamed, “I’ll answer.” She ignored Sharon’s “I wasn’t even going to try to answer” and pressed the speaker button. “Who is it?”

“I AM OPTIMUS PRIME,” the voice answered.

“Please leave the impersonations to Minhyun, Baekho,” Joobi rolled her eyes.

“Fine, just open the door!” he retorted.

“Araso.” Yeesh, someone’s a little too excited, Joobi thought as she smoothed any stray hairs on her head. Bet he’s not as excited as me, though.

Ready, she answered the door but was greeted by a face she wasn’t expecting. Leaning on the door frame was JR, clad in a black-and-white ensemble and a pair of shoes he received from his stylist noona, and…flowers?

He looked up from sniffing the bouquet in his hands and smiled, “Annyeong, Joobi-ssi.”

She returned the greeting, and furrowed her eyebrows, “What’s going on oppa? Why do you have flo-”

“TAH-DAH.” Baekho appeared from behind the wall.

Unfazed by that lame attempt to scare her, Joobi pressed on, “Explain please.”

Baekho, annoyed by her reaction, answered to garner her attention, “You see, I told everyone about our date-“

“You mean you wouldn’t shut up about it,” JR corrected.

Glaring at his friend, Baekho replied, “I’m helping you, aren’t I?” JR raised his hands in surrender.

“Helping?” Joobi waited.

“JR wants to join our date, but not as a third-wheel. He would like to ask Jiho to join him-well us.”

Joobi’s eyes widened at JR. Wahh, so smooth. Not being able to contain the squeak as she spoke, she stated, “Give me a moment,” and sauntered to the leader’s room. The realization hit her, and she ran back to the door and opened it wider for the boys to enter.

She smiled toward the guys and knocked calmly on her Hyung’s door. When said Hyung did not answer, her knocks became rapid with additional kicks until click of the lock jangled and she once again smiled widely at the awaiting guys before pushing her exiting friend back into her room and shutting the door behind them.

“Wh-“

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” Joobi cut her off before running to the connected closet.

“That only applies to situations where we have company, though.”

“Which we do!” The younger continued to scrutinize the plain clothes on the hangers. “Do you have anything besides t-shirts?”

“Well, one, you have company, not me. And second, no. I didn’t put much thought into packing when we left the YG dorms and gave some of my stuff to Hyori unnie.”

“Have I ever told you that you are too nice sometimes?” Joobi turned to face Jiho.

Jiho blinked. “I have no idea what is going on but just put my stuff back when you’re done with them.” Before she could recline on her bed, Joobi pulled her to stand up again.

“You shouldn’t lie down as you eat! And no more noodles. You ate enough an hour ago!”

“Why have the tables turned all of a sudden? Aren’t I the naggy one in this relationship?” the elder chuckled and tried to retrieve her meal.

“You ask too many questions. Stay put.”

“Wait. My noodles!” Jiho’s cries meant nothing as Joobi left.

After a quick trip to the kitchen to dump the noodles (only for the trash compacter to be ed by Sharon’s quick hands), Joobi picked out several outfits from her room. As she passed the main rapper and main vocalist, she squawked for them to not peek and returned to Jiho who-

“STAND UP!”

“To be honest, I don’t think you’re leaving a good impression on Baekho by making him wait like this.”

Joobi placed a blouse in front of Jiho’s frame and answered. “He will not mind. Trust me.” Finding the right outfit, she clapped, “Great! Wear this.”

Jiho wrinkled her nose at the buttons, her sworn enemy. “My s are too big for most clothes with buttons. Can’t I wear that one?” She pointed to the one-shouldered top that was lucky enough to lounge on her bed.

Joobi picked it up, and Jiho realized her mistake. “I thought you wouldn’t want a dress, but sure!”

“W-wait, I take tha-“

“Just change!” Getting her friend’s back, Jiho grumbled and did so.

 

 

 

“Done?”

“Yeah…”

Joobi rotated on her heels and beheld her very uncomfortable Hyung tugging at the bottom of the fabric. “How do you wear something so short?”

“It isn’t short. It meets the top of my knees. You and s must’ve made it like that for you,” Joobi snorted. “Hey, it covers what it has to.”

Easily manipulated, Jiho gave into Joobi’s words and allowed her to comb through her short tresses. At the sight of pencil reaching her eye, Jiho squirmed back. “No. I refuse makeup!”

“C’mon, you’re no fun.”

“I’m well aware of that, thanks.”

“Please, just a little-“

“I said no. I draw the line there. Keke, see what I did there? Draw. The penci- NO THAT DOESN’T MEAN I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE IT.”

“Hyung-”

Their bickering stopped at the raps on the door. “Be nice,” Joobi ordered the other as she opened it. Jiho stood in confusion and looked up from tugging at the end of the dress one last time before meeting a charming pair of brown eyes.

“Oh, JR-sshi,” Jiho bowed. She might have not noticed, but Joobi saw the way JR flinched at the formal greeting. He must have not liked the reminder that they were not that close yet. “Are you here to take Joobi to Baekho?”

He laughed and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand. “No, I’m here to ask you something.” He pulled the flowers from behind his back and offered politely, “Would you join me-“

“And me!” Baekho interfered in the confession and entered the room. He went to Joobi’s side and placed an arm around her. “And Joobi.”

Feeling a vengeance growing against his group member, JR continued, “Right. Well, will you join me -and them- on a double date?”

The question hung in the air, and Jiho, not used to being asked out, or dating for that matter, was speechless for a while. To JR’s relief, she eventually accepted. As everyone exited, Sharon waved as she slurped noodles. “Wait, aren’t those mi-“ Joobi pushed her Hyung to the shoe rack before she could continue.

 

 

 

JR followed Baekho to the case that displayed the different confectionaries.

“What are you getting Joobi?” JR questioned, hoping to find some sort of answer.

“Cheesecake.”

“Why?”

“Because I know she likes it,” Baekho dreamily recited.

Taking in his friend’s statement, JR considered what Jiho liked. She usually just ate whatever was there, which was of no use to him. It then hit him. She told Minhyun once that she got always got a chocolate mousse clown cake for her birthday. He clicked his tongue. She bonded more with the other members than with him. He’ll have to prove himself to her today.

As JR purchased a chocolate mousse cake with a heart atop it, Baekho returned to the booth Joobi and Jiho sat at with a heart shaped cheesecake. He merrily fed her and they’d trade off feeding each other until the last bite. He acted like he was about to feed her, and instead turned the fork his way and ate. At that, Joobi elbowed him and tried to get him to open his mouth, but when he didn’t she gave up. Liking her cute pout, he kissed her and gave her a taste of it.

The neighboring couple saw all this unfold. They made eye contact as the others kissed and tried to chuckle the awkwardness they felt.

Trying to make light of the situation, JR slid the cake he brought over to Jiho. She looked at the word “Saranghaeyo” that the pastry chef iced onto it and smiled. She shyly passed it back and said he should get the first bite. Suavely, JR picked up the fork and offered a bite. When she didn’t open right away, he pulled the fork toward himself. She gaped in surprise which was the perfect moment for him to pop the cake into . As she munched with full cheeks, he smiled genuinely and cut off another piece for her.

 

 

 

Baekho, the organized genius behind the whole date, led the gang to the arcade not far off. Among the various games was Dance Dance Revolution. Leaning down to Jiho’s level, JR whispered, “I’ll go against Baekho.” Jiho laughed and egged him on to.

Baekho tried…and failed miserably. As punishment, he used up countless coins to win Jiho a Pikachu.

Joobi whimpered, “I want one…” Baekho, motivated by his lover’s plea, challenged JR to a few rounds of Mortal Combat. It might have resulted in Baekho using up more coins to win Jiho another stuffed animal, but it’s the thought that counts.

 

 

 

“What’s next Baekho?” Joobi asked from the security of his back.

He extended his arm to the store a few buildings away. “Purikura.”

The couples split into different booths. At the worker’s suggestions to rent some clothes, Jiho beamed and ran to pay and pick some. JR strived to beat her at paying, but of course, she was insistent and he couldn’t reject her.

Jiho was assisted by the worker into a hanbok while JR got into a magistrate ensemble to accompany hers.

In their booth, they stood by each other stiffly before the first shot. The countdown was almost up when JR wrapped his arm around her and caused a deep blush from the latter.

Baekho fit himself into a crocodile onesie while Joobi buttoned up her tiger onesie. They playfully bit at one another for their first shot, and grew more skinshippy by the last shot.

As the girls returned their costumes, Jiho reacted to the pictures she took with JR. “Wahh! So cute!”

“Why can’t you act that way around him?” Joobi countered.

Dropping the stickers from her face, Jiho shrugged, “I’m too shy.”

Thanking the worker, Joobi approached Jiho and stated flatly. “You have aegyo. USE IT.”

 

 

 

To conclude the busy day, Baekho had reserved a room at the local noraebang. The entire group jokingly partied to “Face” and “Not Over You” until the waiter arrived with their drinks.

“Hyung, let’s do ‘Ma Boy’,” Joobi suggested.

Being a er for Hyorin, Jiho eagerly agreed.

As the girls body rolled, JR endeavored to keep his lips in a fine line. So hot, he thought. Baekho drooled at the sight of Joobi.

The song concluded, and Baekho cheered like a little fanboy for Joobi. She bowed and jumped into his open arms. Jiho grew distracted by the adorable scene and tripped off the stage. Before she could hit the hardwood floor, a pair of lean arms caught her. She looked up at JR.

Embarrassed, she stuttered, “S-sorry! I was- I just really hate heels.”

“I don’t,” he replied. If it means I can catch you.

She stared in awe for several beats before standing on her own again and taking another shot of God-knows-what.

 

 

 

Many drinks later, everyone felt out of it. Joobi was out cold on the table of assorted drinks and snacks while Baekho found comfort in the cool floor.  JR and Jiho were using the last of their energy belting “MAMA.” Following the second chorus, Jiho tapped JR’s shoulder to get his attention. When it worked, she said something that got drowned by the music.

“What?” he asked.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Jiho yelled louder. JR shrugged and nodded to the door as he continued the song.

“You don’t get it, Jonghyun-ah. You have to me.”

 

 

 

Jiho washed her face in an effort to regain her senses. She left the bathroom only to see JR against the wall, prepared to keel over. With a slight chuckle, she piped up, “We should get going.” He barely opened his eyes, so she took him by the hand back to the room.

JR effortlessly got Joobi onto his back and shut off the playing instrumental. Jiho failed to pick up Baekho, but JR was already out the door, so she worked to get the comatose oppa to their dorm.

 

 

 

The vibrating of her phone woke Jiho out of her slumber. Feeling the peak of a headache forming, she turned in bed toward a source of warmth and snuggled her head onto its…chest? No one sleeps with me. Jiho opened her eyes and saw the sleeping figure of JR. He had his arms secured around her waist and mumbled incoherent words as she squirmed. This can’t be happening. Overwhelmed, Jiho screamed.

JR released her and she jumped out of bed as he held his now-throbbing head. “Why did you scream Baekho?” He raised his head and widened his eyes at Jiho. “What are you-“

“I-I-“

“What happened last night?” he asked for the both of them.

 

 

 

Since NU’EST’s dorm was closer, and Jiho’s body was about to drop Baekho, JR typed the combination to their dorm and let them in. Jiho whined at the sight of Baekho’s bed being located up a ladder.

“Just set him on the pull-out couch,” JR slurred. Jiho more than happily obliged.

Tired, JR dropped Joobi next to him Jiho smacked JR’s arm. “I have to take her home. Why didn’t you transfer her to my back?”

Not about to hear any nagging, JR rubbed his red eyes and headed up the ladder. “Yah, I’m talking to you,” Jiho cried. Not about to be ignored, she followed him.

He settled in Baekho’s bed. He whisked off the covers and extended his hand to her. “It’s too far. Just sleep.”

“But J-“

“Just listen to your Jonghyun oppa and rest. The other members are resting.”

 

 

 

Jiho shook her head and stirred the black coffee JR prepared. “I knew I couldn’t handle those drinks.” JR hummed his agreement and sipped his.

“I’m so sorry JR. I must have not been the date you were expecting, huh?” Jiho ducked her head.

He put his drink down on the coffee table and patted her hand. “Don’t say that. I had fun.” When she looked up hopefully, he leaned in closer and he breathed huskily, “Especially when you confessed to me last night.”

“I did?! I-I didn’t mean to confess so quickly!” Jiho blushed.

JR chuckled, “I’m just kidding. You’re cute you know that?”

Jiho, at a loss, turned her attention to the mug in her hand.

“Aigoo,” JR pinched her cheeks.

“You know what would make this perfect?” Jiho took initiative and closed the distance between them. JR, surprised by her sudden forwardness, raised his eyebrows. “If we could wake up those two.” JR sighed at the understanding that Joobi and Baekho were still tangled on the pull-out couch behind him.