Not A Fake Smile

Enchanted

 

Fancy music, cocktails, and a seemingly unending roar of conversations filled the night. I yawned as I took a break from shaking hands of people I don't know, faking smiles as I act pleased in knowing them. It wasn't my choice after all. My dad had to drag me to this place of insincerity and doubts. He had to introduce me to his friends for their company's annual event, and though I'd like to socialize (very much); this night just isn't THE right night. And THE right people I'd like to shake hands with.

I shifted my eyes through the place, looking for a possible chat mate who I can share the same interests as me. For a moment I thought I looked like a penguin, looking for a mate.

Then I saw… him. Him, coming to me… Making his way… right to me…

It wasn’t his stunning suit which looked like the most expensive one out here, or his neatly combed hair cut perfectly to perfectly fit his perfect face, nor the brand-new shoes shined using the most expensive shoe shiner – it was everything.

It was the respect and dignity he’s bringing, and when he bowed as a greeting to my dad, I realized I was fervent to know him more.

He looked at me as my dad put a hand on my waist, introducing the two of us. He smiled, his eyes whispering “have we met?” and offered his hand for a shake. I shook it and smiled back as I heard my dad say his name.

Choi Seunghyun.

It was perfect. Everything just seems to match him.

“He’s Mr. Choi’s son.”

I nodded as I remembered Mr. Choi, the Marketing Director and dad’s best friend. But it didn’t really matter to me right now; all I can say is it was enchanting to meet Mr. Choi Seunghyun.

“He’s two years older than you, dear. Is it, Seunghyun-a?” My dad asked.

“Ah,” he chuckled, scratching his nose bridge. “I’m an ’87, Mr. Hwang.”

That voice.

Yes. It was deep and husky, and for a moment I thought something happened to his voice box. Nope. It’s a natural tone.

“Well then I guess it is. My dear Tiffany here is an ’89.” Dad said. Someone called him and excused himself, leaving Seunghyun and I alone.