The Kiss

My One-shot Anthology

Myungsoo couldn’t believe his eyes. He went over the script again and again, hardly being able to grasp the situation. He turned to the director with his mouth agape.

“What is this? Kissing Dasom I understand but Sungjong too? That’s ridiculous! A real kiss?”

It could be that he had misunderstood the script, or the director’s words before because this was absurd. A music video could well have the main actor and actress kissing but the actor and the supporting actor…no, that couldn’t be – although K.Will’s music videos were known to be radical, this was out of the world – a real on-screen kiss, and that too with his band mate!

“Yes, you kiss Sungjong but it’s not real,” the director said gravely.

“It isn’t?” Myungsoo relaxed.

“No, it’s simply acting.”

Myungsoo tensed up.

“But I have to really kiss him for the shoot.”

“Yes.”

“Does he know about this?” Myungsoo looked around for any signs of the maknae. He hadn’t seen him when he was shooting the other scenes with Dasom.

“Yes, and unlike you he took it professionally. He didn’t throw a tantrum. I have half a mind to change the roles…” The director muttered the last part under his breath as Myungsoo stiffened.

“Sorry, sir.” He bowed and left for the dressing room. As soon as he entered, a flock of stylists gathered around him, fixing his hair and make-up. Sungjong was sitting in a chair, listening to music and reading a magazine nonchalantly. He didn’t look worried at all. At first, Myungsoo wanted to talk to him about it but Sungjong looked so deeply immersed in what he was doing that he didn’t have the heart to call him. He continued to dread the impending moment. He was worried about everyone and everything – no one would take it lightly, the music video might even be banned, and what the Inspirits would say...

When he was called to the set, he stood up heavily. He had no idea when Sungjong had left. He padded slowly towards the set where everything was ready – the lights, the people. Dasom waved to him from the middle of the set. He blinked – he had thought his scene with Sungjong would be taken first.

The kiss with Dasom took only one try and 2 minutes. The director approved the first shot and told Dasom she could leave. In a way, Myungsoo was relieved that it had taken only one shot or else he’d have grown nervous. Now the bigger tiger remained to be slain. He watched anxiously as Sungjong entered the set. From close, Myungsoo could see that Sungjong was as nervous and embarrassed as he was. He gave him an awkward gaze before turning towards the director.

“So this kiss doesn’t have to be very long but intimate enough because you have to show that you’re in love. We’ll use this footage later as reminiscence when you kiss Dasom ok?”

They nodded simultaneously. Myungsoo knew both their hearts were racing. He took a deep breath and told himself that he would take it professionally. He was just another actor and this was just acting.

He moved forward.

“Cut!” the director shouted. “Myungsoo you can’t hold his arms.”

Myungsoo let go of Sungjong embarrassedly.

The second try was no better. They didn’t even get within kissing range when the director yelled “Cut!”

“Sungjong try not to look like you’re being kissed by a giant slug.”

Myungsoo chuckled a bit only to see Sungjong glaring.

The third try was a disaster as well but at the fourth try, their lips finally met.

Myungsoo worked hard to make it perfect – he kissed Sungjong tenderly, trying to make it more intimate. He deepened the kiss and willed Sungjong to do the same. He could taste the cherry lip gloss on Sungjong’s lips; the fragrance of the maknae’s shampoo strong in his nose. He found it funny, he had always tried to kiss him but he would duck or shy away but this time he couldn’t. All the inhibition he had felt before washed away as he kissed his maknae, his favorite member of Infinite and it didn’t matter anymore that he was a guy. It never had mattered; he had no idea why he had gotten cold feet before. This feeling was blissful, nothing close to what he had felt with Dasom. In fact, with Dasom he had felt only lips, nothing else.

He suddenly felt someone pushing him away and seconds later, a stinging sensation burned his cheek. He looked up, shocked at Sungjong, who was fuming.

“Cut!” the director yelled. “That wasn’t in the script Sungjong, although I have to admit that was very dramatic.”

“He bit me!” Sungjong exclaimed. “And tried to shove his tongue down my throat! What do you think you were doing?” Sungjong asked Myungsoo, breathing heavily. He raised his hand and started hitting Myungsoo on the arm. Even though Sungjong looked skinny, he was good at hitting people painfully.

Myungsoo was at a loss - he didn’t know what had overcome him – he only knew it had felt good. He could see that Sungjong’s bottom lips looked swollen and pink. He winced to think how hard he had bitten him.

“I – I was…”

The director had been discussing something with the cameraman and then he pronounced the shot to be perfect.

“Of course we won’t use the slap,” he said, but his smirk said otherwise.

Sungjong stormed away as the shooting team started to pack. Myungsoo followed Sungjong to the dressing room and found that he was already packing.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to bite,” Myungsoo said in a small voice.

“I’m sorry too, I didn’t mean to slap you so hard.” Sungjong looked up apologetically. He was blushing. Myungsoo touched his cheek, it was still burning.

“It’s okay, I shouldn’t have…”

Sungjong cracked a small smile.

“You thought I was Dasom noona?” Sungjong teased. “Or maybe Krystal?”

Myungsoo his lips, wondering if he should come clean.

“No, I kissed you like that because you weren’t Dasom, or Krystal, because you were you.” Sungjong turned to look at him with wide eyes. He stared at him for a few seconds before saying, “You’re feeling alright?”

Myungsoo gulped. He wasn’t sure if he was feeling alright. He was trying hard to repress the urge to kiss Sungjong again. Why had it felt so right? His attraction towards the maknae – what was it actually?

Myungsoo swooped towards Sungjong, kissing him again. This time, Sungjong freed himself quickly and exclaimed, “Oh my God, you’re not feeling okay. What is wrong with you hyung? Should I call manager hyung?” He looked concerned as he searched Myungsoo’s face for any indication of illness.

“Jongie, what would you think if I said I love you?” Myungsoo’s voice was hoarse and he was biting his lips anxiously.

“I’ll think you’re crazy.” Sungjong looked serious. Myungsoo sighed.

“I love you Sungjong.” Sungjong stomped out of the dressing room and after a few minutes their manager came in, asking Myungsoo if he wanted to see the doctor. He shrugged – it’d be difficult to convince the maknae that he loved him, it’d be even more difficult to convince him to love him back, unless some miracle happened.

---

“Hyung can I talk to you?” Myungsoo asked Sunggyu, who was lying down on the sofa and watching TV. The leader turned the volume down and looked at Myungsoo expectantly.

“Hyung, I like men.”

“This is not a joke right?”

“No,” Myungsoo replied seriously. Sunggyu stared at him for some time before breaking into a smile.

“Well, what can I say? I expected it.”

“You did?” Myungsoo was shocked.

“Of course. You’re too touchy with all the members, if someone likes men among us it has to be you,” Sunggyu said matter-of-factly.

“Oh. Yes but the problem is I don’t like men. I mean I do but I like only one man. I’m in love with him.”

“Myungsoo please don’t say it’s me because I’ll never be able to reciprocate -”

Myungsoo cut him short.

“It isn’t you. It’s Sungjong.”

Sunggyu sighed in relief. But then he sat up straight.

“In that case, you take it up with him.”

“Just like that?”

“What, you want trumpets and fanfare?” Sunggyu looked incredulous.

“No,” Myungsoo said quickly. “But Sungjong…”

“Likes you back,” Hoya interrupted.

Myungsoo and Sunggyu turned towards him.

“He just confessed to me – something about a kiss today…”

Myungsoo punched the air. He couldn’t hold back the wide grin, even though Sunggyu was giving him weird looks. He was too lucky; he had needed this miracle.

“See Myungsoo, problem solved. Am I an awesome leader or what?” Sunggyu said importantly. Hoya rolled his eyes.

Myungsoo could argue, but he was too happy to do so. And he had something much more important to do. Like kissing a certain someone.