Some Things Were Never Meant To Be

My One-shot Anthology

Some things were never meant to be. Myungsoo learnt it the hard way. Like he and Sungyeol—they were never meant to be together in the first place. Sure, Sungyeol was a good friend, someone of his age so he could act casually with him. But when they first got together, he had a feeling they wouldn’t last long. How true he was! He couldn’t say he was shocked when problems started arising between them. The source of all problems was a certain Lee Sungjong, their mutual friend…more than just a friend.

Funnily enough, they blamed each other of cheating—with Sungjong!

“You just got together with me to get back at Sungjong for rejecting you. I can’t believe I was just a show!” Myungsoo shouted.

“Ánd what about you? You obviously like Sungjong more than me. His preferences come first with you. You’re still going to lie that you love me?” Sungyeol slammed his fist into a nearby wall.

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol for some time before bursting into laughter.

“Do you want to die?” Sungyeol glared at Myungsoo.

“It’s funny how we got into this relationship knowing well that we both love Sungjong.”

“Now that I think about it, we’re such idiots!” Sungyeol joined in the laughter. “But this literally makes us enemies.” Sungyeol added with a straight face.

“What enemies? You’re no competition, he already rejected you remember?” Myungsoo said with a smirk.

“That’s because-I didn’t give up on him alright? I just didn’t know—”

“That the guy you’ll find to make him jealous would actually be in love with him as well? Just your luck!” Myungsoo drawled.

“Yah, stop it! You deceived me enough already,” Sungyeol looked seriously pissed off.

“Sungjong just makes everyone love him, doesn’t he?” asked Myungsoo dreamily.

“I was in a tight spot with him already, now I don’t need you as a competition.”

“Competition is good. It gives you encouragement.”

“But I don’t understand why Sungjong keeps insisting we remain as friends.”

“Duh, ‘cause you’re not good enough for him.”

“Oh please, as if he’s extra nice with you.” Sungyeol glared at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “Sungjong is infatuated with me, literally. I mean he’s all over me.”

Sungyeol giggled. “Were you dreaming last night?”

“Oh please, when was the last time he baked you his special butter cookies?”

“Yesterday,” Sungyeol said smugly.

“He did?” Myungsoo’s face fell. “I thought he had only baked for me.”

“Huh, you’re not above me Myungsoo in Sungjong’s heart.” Sungyeol sneered at him.

“Who would want you, Sungyeol? You smile like an idiot and you can’t walk straight. Anyone would be embarrassed to be seen with you.”

“Myungsoo oh Myungsoo, as if you’re a charming prince. Dates with you are so boring. Sungjong wants to smile. I can at least make him smile with my crazy antics.”

“More like embarrass him to death. Every eye will turn towards us if Sungjong dates me.”

“Dream on, I’m taller than you.” Sungyeol crossed his arms across his chest arrogantly.

“I’m more handsome, need I remind you?”

“Sungjong would rather have a warm heart.”

“Exactly, that’s the reason he rejected you.”

“He just needs time to figure out that he’s madly in love with me.”

“He is madly in love, but with me.”

“You—”

The bell rang. Myungsoo and Sungyeol stopped bickering at each other. They went to get the door together, shouldering each other out of the way.

“Oh Sungjong, hi,” Sungyeol exclaimed with a brilliant smile.

“Sungjong, I missed you,” Myungsoo said seductively.

“Hello,” Sungjong said smiling. “I thought I’ll visit you guys.”

“Sure come in, Sungjong,” Sungyeol said, letting him enter.

“Yes Sungjong, come into my apartment, the rent of which I pay every month,” Myungsoo said through clenched teeth.

“Sungjong, don’t mind Myungsoo. All he can talk of is money.” Sungyeol rolled his eyes at him.

“Excuse me, you’re denying you live in my apartment for free?”

“Hell yes! You use my car, remember? And if it pisses you, I’ll just move out and live with Sungjong.”

“Don’t you dare do that! You’re fit to scrub the dirt from Sungjong’s shoes. And I don’t want to use your 80’s car anymore.”

“You’re a moron, my car is brand new!”

“Don’t mind Sungyeol’s idiocy, Sungjong. He wishes he had a brain like us.”

“Erm…guys, I’m fine,” Sungjong said timidly as Sungyeol and Myungsoo were trying to force him into the couch, glaring at each other.

“I’ll gouge out your eyes, you brute! Stop giving Sungjong the erted eye.”

“Excuse me, you’re the one with your hands all over Sungjong.”

Sungyeol and Myungsoo were now eye to eye, dangerously close to fighting physically.

“Guys…” Sungjong said uncertainly.

“Myungsoo you can rot in hell, I’m going to take Sungjong to a park.”

“Cheap Sungyeol, as always. I’m going to take him out for dinner at a 5-star restaurant.”

“Hey guys…”

“Eat dung, Myungsoo!”

“You do that, Sungyeol!”

Myungsoo and Sungyeol were clawing at each other’s throats. They didn’t even notice Sungjong was trying to shove himself between them.

“Guys!” Sungjong screamed in a high-pitched voice. Myungsoo and Sungyeol dropped their hands and looked at Sungjong, shocked.

“What is wrong with you?”

“Erm…”

“I…”

“I’m leaving right now.” Sungjong his heels. “Oh and by the way, the main reason I came here was to invite you; I’m having a birthday party on Tuesday. I wanted to introduce you guys to my new boyfriend, Hoya. But if you’d rather do this then don’t come. Good day.” Sungjong slammed the door behind him. An eerie silence settled in the room.

“Sungjong…gone…” Sungyeol muttered.

“Sungjong…Hoya…” Myungsoo mumbled.

“Guess I’m going to stick around in your apartment for some time,” Sungyeol said, walking towards his room with drooped shoulders.

“Yeah, and I’ll keep using you car for a while,” Myungsoo said, falling down into the couch.