The Fight (Over Your Heart)

My One-shot Anthology

 

Myungsoo thought it was pretty obvious that Sungjong was, pretty much, and to everyone under the sun and the moon, his. It’s not like they have announced something like that – he hasn’t even talked to Sungjong about it. But it’s one of those things you get to know if you pay close enough attention, something he expected s to do.

Hoya knows it, and probably accept it as well. But sometimes he becomes protective and wraps an arm around Sungjong’s waist with determination. However, when he sheepishly gazes at them the next time, he sees the way the maknae smiles at Myungsoo and resigns. So in a twisted kind of way, Hoya lets them be.

Dongwoo seems to be the most clueless member, but he knows before anyone else. Sometimes, he even tries to play matchmaker, not that they need it. Their match has been made in heaven, long before they were born. But Myungsoo’s touched by Dongwoo’s effort. When the three of them go drinking together, Dongwoo makes sure to drink in large gulps and pass out quickly, allowing them a chance to spend time together while Dongwoo drools on the table. He’s always been considerate, that hyung.

Woohyun’s not too much trouble either. There is a palpable tension between Woohyun and Sungjong whenever the two of them are left alone but it’s not . It could turn into something like that, but Woohyun reigns in, and they become two people who irritate each other and just can’t get alone. Each thinks he is smarter than the other, but it’s a platonic kind of silent fight that has no victors. Myungsoo thinks that Woohyun kind of sneers at their relationship, like he’s not quite pleased with it, but he also knows there’s nothing he can do about it, because that would tell Sungjong he’s invested in his business. So Woohyun is pretty much okay.

Sunggyu makes things a bit complicated, because he’s the leader. The leader, the guide. Also the person who likes to test the maknae’s limits. It’s all done in a playful way so that there are no scars left afterwards. But sometimes Sungjong punches his teddy bear so hard that Myungsoo is afraid it will be ripped to shreds. Sunggyu thinks Sungjong is ignorant, and has a fun time proving himself right. When the maknae’s face darkens though, he hastily sends a quick text of ‘I love you’, hoping it’s enough to patch things up. On the outside, he doesn’t seem bothered with the fact that Sungjong is Myungsoo’s, but on the inside, he worries. Myungsoo sometimes notices his shoulder tense up when he’s running his fingers through Sungjong’s hair. Sometimes the leader showers Myungsoo with affection, in order to keep him away from the maknae. So yes, he knows. He tries to put an end to it even, but maybe like the wise leader he is, he’s decided not to interfere too much. Maybe he prays that this thing between them will dissolve on its own.

The only person who hasn’t seemed to get the memo is Sungyeol. His best friend. his partner in crime. His confidante. Myungsoo thought he knew, but it’s pretty clear he doesn’t, when he sees the advances he is making in Sungjong’s direction. They are subtle, too subtle at first. A hand loosely wound around Sungjong’s. A gaze that lasts for too long. Physical teasing that is a bit too inappropriate, even among band mates. Maybe that’s the kind of person he is, Myungsoo thinks. But the red light flashes when he watches, with a pang in his chest, Sungjong reciprocating.

Sungjong doesn’t swat away Sungyeol’s inappropriately placed hand. Sungjong’s bumps into Sungyeol on purpose, smiling his catfish smile at him. The maknae even gives Sungyeol a backhug – he initiates it. That’s when he has had it.

Pulling Sungyeol away from the stage where the rest of INFINITE are busily monitoring their performance, he demands an answer. Sungyeol plays the fool for the most part, so Myungsoo has to spell it out for him.

“Sungjong is mine!”

His friend raises his eyebrows like it’s news to him.

“Since when?”

“Since forever, you idiot!”

“You’re an idiot! Did you ever ask him out? I don’t remember him telling me he’s dating you.”

“Everyone knows!” Myungsoo cries.

Sungyeol casts him a dark look.

“We can’t work like this.”

“Yes we can’t. Back off.”

At this, Sungyeol’s eyes flash with anger.

“You back off.” He physically pushes him back, causing his eyes to widen. Suddenly, there is a sound of chatter, and a new group passes by them, bowing. They bow too, their eyes averted from each other.

It’s a dangerous place to have an argument with cameras everywhere so they go to the one person they can trust. Sunggyu gives them a once-over and looks at them with his knowledgeable eyes. After hearing them out, he says grimly, “I have noticed. But boys, you have to fix this. INFINITE cannot go around with you two shooting daggers at each other. Go home now, I’ll bring the boys after a while. Talk it out.”

They follow the leader’s words. They are silent during the car ride, with the manager giving them weird glances through the mirror. No one must know.

At the dorm, they burst forth, and it’s pretty clear Sungyeol has no intention of giving up.

“Listen, Sungjong likes me. If he chooses me over you, it’s not my fault.”

It burns Myungsoo, burns and stabs him at the same time.

“He chose me, you punk!”  And with that, he throws his first serious punch at his best friend. Sungyeol wasn’t expecting it so his fist hits him squarely on the jaw, drawing blood from his lips immediately. To Myungsoo’s horror, he relishes the sight of blood dripping from his friend’s mouth. Serves him right for trying to steal my Sungjong, he thinks savagely. But his satisfaction is short-lived as with a growl, Sungyeol charges forward, with a heavy punch to his gut.

Myungsoo feels like throwing up. Sungyeol’s been working out regularly and he feels like that one punch turns his insides into jelly. But he has been possessive since day 1 so he’s not ready to give up. He throws his whole body at Sungyeol, flooring him. Gripping him by the collar, he shouts at him, “You’re supposed to be my best friend. I’m supposed to trust you. But you, of all the people, you!”

“Stop pretending like you own Sungjong! It’s his choice.” Sungyeol’s strike comes unannounced but it hits him on the jaw.

The brawl would have continued until one of them fainted, with none of them ready to give up an inch, but they are interrupted. Sungjong’s the first one to come into the room, and his jaws drop.

“What are you two doing?” he asks, aghast.

They both start talking at once, appealing to him. Sungjong’s eyes rove from one face to the other, then they turn stern.

“Get up, both of you,” he commands. They both do as they are told. “Go and wash your faces, don’t let the other hyungs catch you.”

It’s only in front of Sungjong they find their senses. Shame wells up in both of them as they look at each other apologetically. Myungsoo is so surprised by himself that he wants to cry. How could he hit his best friend like that?

They both hesitate, and say at the same time, “Sorry.”

The mumbled apology is enough to let each other know that they both regret it.

“That wasn’t me back there…”

“No, I didn’t think I was capable of something like that either…”

“Should we…”

“Get some food?”

Sungyeol’s eyes light up. It’s almost as if they’ve never fought.

“Sure.”

“Oh and if the hyungs ask-”

They look around for inspiration.

“The washing board fell on us?”

“We didn’t even do the laundry,” Myungsoo reminds his friend but Sungyeol just shakes his head.

“They won’t notice.”

“But Sungjong’s mine though.”

Sungyeol tenses up once again, giving his friend a hard look. Finally, he says, “Okay, but only if he says it himself.”

Myungsoo smiles.

“Okay.”

 


Inspired by MyungYeol's fight