Final

You left me alone

 

  Kyuhyun closed his eyes, relishing the refreshing wind that was whipping his hair about, cooling him. He stood there, relieving old memories. There were plenty, but some stood out more than the others. They all had a common point; all of these moments had something to do with him…

--

 

  “Hey! Kyuhyun! Wanna hang out with us after school?” a guy asked, his group of friends nearby, waiting for his answer. Kyuhyun frowned and shook his head. “Sorry, but I really gotta go,” he replied before giving them a charming smile and walking out of school. His “friends” gave him a hearty wave before heading towards the arcade near their school.

  Kyuhyun sighed, frowning. His so-called “friends” obviously didn’t notice how unhappy he was nowadays. Of course they wouldn’t notice. They weren’t even his real friends. They only hung around him because he was popular; they wanted to be popular too. He was feeling so troubled… He sighed again and ran his fingers through his hair.

  “Maybe I should go and find a nice quiet place to sit and think…” he muttered to himself, head bowed. He didn’t want to go home now. Not now, when his parents were definitely still fighting over who gets the house and the kid after they divorced. That’s right. As much as his parents loved him, they didn’t love each other enough to stay with each other till the very end. And this was just one of the many troubles that plagued Kyuhyun. He was supposed to take over his parents’ company, but he really wanted to pursue a musical career. Yet, as his parents claimed, it was his “responsibility and he should always put the company as his first priority”. He snorted as he settled on a park bench, throwing his books and bag conveniently onto the bench. What bull. His parents may love him but they just couldn’t understand him. And it hurts, when you are forced to choose between your family and pursuing your dreams. He still had a few more years to think about it, before he graduated, but he was already troubling over it.

  Clenching his fists, he let out a shaky sigh. Life was so tough for him, and it was even tougher for him to keep up with the perfect façade he puts on every day. The façade where everyone thought that Cho Kyuhyun was the most perfect being alive, that he was so smart and handsome, had a great life and no qualms to worry about at all…they were so wrong. Closing his eyes, he let a tear escape. Just for this once, he would let himself be weak, let himself be overpowered by his feelings. Just this once, he reassured himself. Then he would go back to being the usual, flawless Cho Kyuhyun.

  “Excuse me, sir, but are you alright?” a gentle, high pitched voice asked. Kyuhyun’s eyes snapped wide open and he rubbed them hastily, looking up. And there, in front of him, stood a small, fragile-looking boy. His auburn hair fell over his eyes, his high cheekbones accentuated by the sunlight, his face full of concern and worry.

  Kyuhyun would have normally been irritated, and probably snapped at him and asked him to mind his own business, but he found himself looking down and shaking his head to answer the boy’s question. Sub-consciously, he found the boy’s presence comforting and warm, and his sub-consciousness was swallowing him up, controlling him. The moment the red-haired boy asked him what’s wrong, he began pouring out all his troubles to him, not even caring that the boy was just a mere stranger he met a minute ago. He just wanted someone to talk to, someone to listen to him. And this boy was doing everything. He was listening carefully, nodding now and then, his face thoughtful. When Kyuhyun finally stopped, the sun was already setting.

  Suddenly, the red-haired boy threw his arms around him, shocking him."Woah! What the…?" Kyuhyun asked in surprise. The red-haired boy just sniffled. "Your troubles are so sad. No one should ever go through that. You must have felt terrible. Everyone thinking that you had the perfect life, when it's not really what they see," he whispered. Kyuhyun laughed a humourless laugh. "That's another problem, isn’t it? No friends who actually understand me. How sad, isn't it? When they are my so-called friends…" he trailed off, a bitter smile on his face.

  "I will be the friend who understands then!" the boy piped up. Kyuhyun looked at him, unsure and shocked. This boy was… unpredictable. "But I just met you and…" The boy smiled. "Sometimes, friendships start from the smallest things, from the weirdest ways. I will be your friend who stays with you forever, okay? So now, you have a friend to listen to you." And with that, he unwound his arms from around Kyuhyun's shoulders, the latter blushing for no reason, and stood up, ready to leave. "Let's meet here again, tomorrow, same timing, okay?" Kyuhyun nodded, smiling lightly. "What's your name?" he asked just before the boy turned to leave. "Ryeowook. Kim Ryeowook. You?" he replied cheerfully. "Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun," Kyuhyun answered, mimicking his way of answering. Ryeowook laughed before waving goodbye and skipping away. As Kyuhyun watched him leave, his smile remained on his face, his heart lighter, his spirits up. Ryeowook was special and he knew that. They would be great friends.

  Slowly, just like what Kyuhyun predicted, they became great friends. Ryeowook could always understand Kyuhyun and look from his point of view. They could talk about everything. Kyuhyun told him about his troubles, everything that happened in school, his parents, anything he could think of. In return, Kyuhyun learned that Ryeowook went to a different school nearby, his dad was a teacher and his mom owned a bakery, he played the piano, loved singing, his worst subject was maths, and lots more. Kyuhyun found himself yearning for school to end quickly each day, so he could meet up with Ryeowook. He was no longer as quiet as before; Ryeowook had brought out the cheekier and more cheerful side of him. Ryeowook was changing Kyuhyun, and he himself was shocked by that fact.

  Not just that; one day, he realised his parents had stopped arguing so much. He could see more smiles on his parents’ faces, compared to the frowns they always had on back then. And Kyuhyun was ecstatic. Maybe, just maybe, they might get back again someday.

  It seemed as if Kyuhyun was getting everything he wanted; that day, his parents announced that they would let him have a shot at his dream, and their divorce matters were also put aside. It was almost like a fantasy; so many things were going right. He finally got a chance at what he always dreamed of, his parents were okay with each other now, and he found the friend he always wanted to have in Ryeowook. He was so glad he met Ryeowook. If it wasn't for him, none of these would have happened. That angel turned his life upside down, but in the best way imaginable.

  At their next meeting, Kyuhyun couldn't wait to tell Ryeowook all about what had happened. When the petite boy finally arrived, Kyuhyun was so happy, he jumped up and hugged him tightly, his heart fluttering at their skinship for some reason.

  "Kyu! What's the matter? Are you really that happy to see me?" Ryeowook asked, blushing lightly at the sudden hug the younger gave. "Oh, you have no idea," he replied, a cheeky smile plastered on his face. He began to tell Ryeowook everything; about his parents, his dreams, everything. The older listened intently, and gave a whoop of joy at the end. "Those are great news, Kyu! Congratulations," he said cutely, a wide smile on his face. Kyuhyun grinned back. "But none of these would have happened, without you…" he answered, and without actually quite knowing why he did that, he bent down to kiss the older, full on the lips. Ryeowook's eyes widened but didn't reject it; he had been feeling mixed feelings for a long time too.

  The kiss was short, yet sweet. But when Kyuhyun finally pulled away, it felt like ages. He looked down, embarrassed. "I'm sorry…I didn't know what came over me…" Ryeowook shook his head. "It's alright…because I… feel the same way…" Kyuhyun's eyes widen in realisation when he heard his words. Grabbing the smaller boy in his arms, he whispered, "I love you" before swinging him lightly up into the air. "Wookie, you are too light," he complained when he put him down. Ryeowook frowned. "No I'm not! But that aside… So, what are we exactly now…?" Kyuhyun smiles before gently tugging Ryeowook's chin up for another kiss. "Lovers."

  It was pure heaven from that day on. Kyuhyun's parents found out about their relationship, but didn't protest. So long their son was happy, they didn’t mind; they didn’t judge. In the midst of his euphoria, he worked so hard that he indeed, became the top scholar in school. Everyone was impressed, including his own parents. But not Ryeowook. He merely lifted his eyebrows and "hmm"ed the news. Confused, Kyuhyun questioned about his reaction. Ryeowook merely tilted his head to one side before giving him his answer, "Because, from the very beginning, I knew you would definitely do it, so I'm not surprised." This answer was spoken matter-of-factly, and once again, Kyuhyun thanked his lucky stars for having such a wonderful lover.

  But like what they always say, all good things must come to an end…

--

  At this point, he opened his eyes for a moment, letting a tear escape. How beautiful these memories were. How could he give them up? But…he shook his head. He would go and find him soon. That way, more wonderful memories of them being together can be created. But in the meantime, he let himself drown in his own memories…

--

  A night before his birthday, Kyuhyun woke up to a call from Ryeowook. Rudely awoken from his sleep by that call, he picked up his phone and murmured a weary “hello” hoping that whoever was calling now had some important business, and a good reason for disturbing his beauty sleep.

  "Kyuhyun! I've got a little surprise to give you. Can you come over right now?" Ryeowook requested. Kyuhyun furrowed his brows. It was late at night, and if he was right, it was going to be midnight soon. But he didn’t mind; he wanted to see Ryeowook anyway.

  "Sure… but where?" he asked in a tired voice. He was sleeping before being awakened by the phone call, and was trying to stay awake. Ryeowook giggled when he heard how tired Kyuhyun was. "At the park where we always meet. See you soon!" And he hung up on him rather abruptly.

  Kyuhyun stared at his phone for a short while before grumbling and started getting ready to go out. Within minutes, he was at the park, complaining under his breath about the cold weather, when suddenly, his phone rang.

  "Hello?"

  No reply.

  "Er, hello…?" Kyuhyun asked again, slightly irritated.

  "Er yes, hello. I'm Park Jungwon, a police officer. And I have a very important question for you before I can tell you anything else: what is your relationship with Kim Ryeowook?" the unknown voice drifted out of the phone.

  Kyuhyun scowled. Who was this guy? But he still answered his question. "I'm his boyfriend. Why? What happened?" his voice undeniably sharp. There was a short silence before that Mr Park spoke up again. "I cannot explain everything over the phone. Can you please come to Seoul Hospital immediately? Everything will be explained." And with that, the phone call ended. Kyuhyun, with his mind full of swirling suspicions of what might have happened, drove as fast as he could to the hospital. He hoped whatever surprise Ryeowook planned, it would be pleasant.

  When he reached the hospital, he saw a guy in a black coat at the hospital entrance, looking about. Assuming he was the Mr Park, he walked up to him and tapped him on his shoulder. "Excuse me, but are you Mr Park?" Kyuhyun asked. The man looked at him, face full of sadness and anxiousness. "Ah, you must be Kyuhyun-ssi. I'm sorry, but I have some very bad news for you…" he trailed off uncertainly. Kyuhyun frowned. "What? Spit it out," he hissed, patience running short. Who exactly was this guy?  Mr Park shuffled uncomfortably. "You see… on his way to some place, Ryeowook-ssi was… unfortunate enough to meet with an accident. He is in the operating theatre right now, but the doctors doubt that he will pull through…"

  Kyuhyun didn't bother with what he was saying next. He just dashed into the hospital and asked for the room in which the surgery is being carried out. His mind just blanked, and he couldn’t think clearly. All he wanted to was just to see Ryeowook safe and sound, and in his arms.

  When he got there, Mr Park was right behind him and the doctor just came out of the operating theatre with a resigned look on his face. "Doctor!" Kyuhyun yelled. "Doctor! Is he okay? Is Ryeowook okay? Is he gonna-" he stopped short when he saw the look on the doctor's face. It was quite obvious: Ryeowook had no chance.

  Kyuhyun sank down onto his knees, tears flowing silently. Why was the world so unfair to him? Why did God want to claim Ryeowook's life when he was still so young? Why, when he just barely found his happiness, his happiness must leave him? Why didn't he prevent this? He could have insisted on staying at home, and refused to meet him, since he was so tired. If he did, everything would have been prevented.

  "Why?!" Kyuhyun shrieked, slamming his fist into the wall. As he continued sobbing right there, the doctor sighed and kneeled down to talk to him.

  "Kyuhyun-ssi… Ryeowook-ssi's last words… do you want to hear them? They were for you and his parents… but they aren't here yet, so would you like to hear them first?" After a long silence, the doctor took the silence as a yes before continuing. "He told me to tell his parents "I love you", and to apologise to you, for breaking his promise. He thanks you for everything, and hopes, in his next life, that you two can meet and fall in love again. In fact, "I love you forever, Kyu" were his exact last words," the doctor murmured gently before straightening back up and giving a surprised gasp, looking over Kyuhyun’s shoulder. "Oh! Mr and Mrs Kim, you are here? Well… can you please follow me to my office? I will explain everything along with Mr Park there…"

  Kyuhyun didn’t bother looking at Ryeowook's parents; he just knelt there, trying to stop crying. Ryeowook hated to see him crying, even if the occasion was happy. That thought about Ryeowook wanted to make him break down again, but he resisted.

  Suddenly, a reassuring hand was on his shoulder. He looked up. It was a teary Mr Kim, and he gave Kyuhyun a sad smile. "At least he experienced so much when he was alive… and half of the experiences were with you. Thank you so much, Kyuhyun." And with that, the Kims follow the doctor into his office. Mr Park was about to follow but stopped suddenly and took an envelope out of his pocket. "Here, Kyuhyun-ssi… It was addressed to you, and Ryeowook-ssi told me to hand it to you… I am sorry for your loss." After that, he quickly followed the rest into the office.

  Kyuhyun took out a… birthday card? Then everything came together. Ryeowook wanted to celebrate his birthday at midnight exactly, therefore the call so late at night. He obviously forgot, and Ryeowook took hold of that chance to give him a surprise. Kyuhyun scoffed. What a surprise he gave him in the end.

  He flipped the card open gingerly. It read:

  "Dear Kyuhyun,

Happy Birthday! Bet you weren’t expecting this, were you?

Kyuhyun-ah, remember the promise I made to you? That I will never leave you? Remember that promise, okay? It is what bonds us together, apart from our love.

Speaking of love and whatnot, I love you. Yes, you hear this everyday, and you may even get too much of it, but this I love you is sincere, from the deepest depths of my heart. I love you too much, see?

Happy birthday once more, Kyuhyun! I hope this will be one of your most special and memorable birthdays ever. Love you!

-Ryeowook

P.S. There's something else in the envelope. Hope you like it. Ryeowook

  Inside the envelope was a pair of silver rings, one engraved with the words "My Kyuhyun", the other "My Ryeowook".

  Clutching the rings tightly in his fist, the sobs that were quenched, could be heard again…

--

  Kyuhyun snapped his eyes wide open once more. He remembered how the rest of the day passed in a blur, how he got out of the hospital and back home hazily. How his parents fretted until they found out, how time seemed to pass so slowly and meaninglessly without him… Sighing, he allowed himself to drown in his memories again…

--

  It was the day of the funeral, held near the seaside. Only relatives and close friends were there. It was open casket, since all of them hadn't had a chance to say a proper goodbye before he left. Kyuhyun waited patiently until it was his turn to go up and say goodbye. When it was his turn, he found himself unable to say anything, except hang the ring that was engraved with "My Kyuhyun" on a thin chain around his neck and whisper a final "I love you" before turning away. He just kept on walking and walking, plans forming in his mind. Which was how he got to where he was now…

--

  For the last time, Kyuhyun opens his eyes. "Ryeowook… you almost broke your promise. Almost. But I'm going to make sure the promise stays intact by…" he stopped for a while before continuing, "Your existence was the best thing that ever happened in my life… But you left me alone. Now let me come and join you…"

  He takes one, two, three steps into the water, ring on his finger, a gentle but yet, at the same time, a slightly maniacal smile on his face. He was finally going to be reunited with him again. As the water swallowed him up, the smile never failed to leave his face. Because he knows the promise is still intact, and Ryeowook was waiting for him.