nostalgia

Closed

 

Note: indented and italized conversations mean that they are flashbacks. Enjoy reading!


Three months passed when they last saw each. In fact, it was their high school graduation. Five months passed when they last spoke to each other. Park Sanghyun and Lee Jieun, college freshmen in the same university, were best friends in high school, but everything changed when love walked in.

They became distant as if a large impenetrable wall was in between them every time they were near each other. The atmosphere would become cold and asphyxiating. Love tore them apart.

Now, they are in a high school reunion organized by their once student council as a Before-College-Starts Party. But because of a small game, Sanghyun and Jieun are locked in a small closet for 15 minutes.

"Long time no see Lee Jieun."

"Yeah, long time no see Park Sanghyun."

Then a long stray of awkwardness.

"You’re studying in K.Arts, right?" Sanghyun broke the silence. Jieun looks up to him.

"Yes. And if my hunch is correct, you’re studying in K.Arts too." She replies innocently.

“Yup. I'm surprised you still remember my dream university."

"Same goes to you." Jieun sighs deeply, “What to do, what to do.” she mumbles as she sat down on the tiled floor.

"Want to sing like we used to?" he suggests, sitting next to her. Again, they could feel the invisible wall in between and their cold aura filling the small closet. It is getting hard to breathe.

 

"Hello by SHINee or Gee by SNSD?" Jieun asked him as she she tune her guitar.

"They're both about a shy confession, don't you think?" Sanghyun pondered. "Hm.. Hello is better though."

"Gee it is!"

"Hey! I said 'Hello', dummy. Aish, whatever. Just lower pitch okay? My falsettos aren't that high anymore."

 

"Sure, it passes the time." Jieun grins but her true feelings masked behind the smile.

"I miss those days." Sanghyun chuckles bitterly as he glance at the bored girl on the other corner. "Scratch that. I miss you."

"Pardon?" Jieun says in disbelief.

"I miss you Jieun. I miss how we argue about little things. I miss how we sing in the music room. I miss cooking for you." he pauses for moment to catch his breath. Jieun feels tears forming in her eyes.

 

"Do you remember the chords to Love Girl?" she asked Sanghyun who is circling around the music room.

"Nope. I'm not the one who searched it online."

"F, G, C, D?" Jieun strummed the chords. "Or is it Dm? Aish!" she cried aloud.

"Aigoo. It's F, G, Em, Am. You are so forgetful." Sanghyun snidely laughed.

"Yah! I thought you don't know the chords? You tricked me! I am never gonna invite you to my house, ever!" she shouted at the snickering boy.

"Fine! All I ever do in your house is cook for you anyway."

"Psh. You installed Diablo in my desktop, and all you do is cook? Say goodbye to your precious game."

"Nooooooo! Okay, okay! I'm sorry! Don't delete it!"

 

"But most of all, I miss you right beside all the time. Jieun, what happened to us?"

Jieun gulps, "I guess we grew up."

All his frustrations piles up at her answer. Sanghyun slams his fist on the door. "Really? We grew up? That's bull Jieun, bull! You and I both know that isn't that the reason! You fell for me and I fell for you!"

"Yes, I did fell for you, but you falling for me? I didn't know about that. But we grew up! We were immature little brats back then!"  she yells, but calms down after realizing her actions.

 

"Sanghyun, you camel! You still don't get do you?"

"What?"

"You're hopeless. I like you! As in a romantic way."

"I.. I don't know what to say."

"Just forget it." Jieun walked away from with her head down, crying. "Why are you so dense?"

 

"I was immature. As if you would even accept me. Hah! I grew up, and figured how wrong I was. But that didn't make me forget you. It was all too painful for me." Jieun tried to hold on her tears, yet failed miserably.

He felt guilty for making Jieun cry. "Honestly, I regretted it." Sanghyun scooches over to the sobbing Jieun.

 

"Yah! Lee Jieun!" She recognized that voice, and it's no other than Sanghyun. She refused to turn around and continued walking in the hallway.

"Lee Jieun!" he jogged to her and grabbed her arm. "Why are you ignoring me? I need to tell you something. It’s urgent."

"Why do you care?"

"'Coz I'm your best friend."

"That's just it Sanghyun." she said coldly as she freed herself from his grip. "We're best friends and nothing more. It already hurts seeing you, yet you follow me around. I'm not even sure if I like you or I love you, because going completely insane over you. And I've never felt so much pain 'coz of guy. You have no mercy on me, do you? Please Sanghyun, if you truly care about me, leave me alone. Excuse me. I have classes to attend to. And studies are more urgent to me now."  Jieun walked into a classroom, and left Sanghyun stunned.

"But I like you." he mumbled to himself.

 

"I wasn't sure about my feelings when confessed to me, because we were best friends and best friends don't fall in love with each other. I was wrong though, and was too late to tell you everything. You began avoiding me. God, I hate myself for hurting you." he cursed his breath.

"Sanghyun.." she faces him with swollen eyes and a runny nose.

"I-I.. I'm sorry." he wipes the tear on Jieun's rosy cheek.

"No, I'm sorry. I caused our friendship to break apart." Jieun sniffled. Sanghyun gains courage to push through the wall, completely destroying it, and hugs her. The cold aura disappears and is replaced by warmth.

"Jieun, I don't need apologies. I need you." Sanghyun said in a gentle tone. For the first time, they smile. Not those smiles that mask what their true feelings, but real ones that make them forget their past.

"I love you, Jieun." He leaned in closer to her. Jieun's back is against the wall and feels the warm breath getting nearer to her lips. Jieun closes her eyes and braces herself as her heart raced for him.

"I love you too." Jieun whispers.

Their noses touch and Sanghyun tilts his head a bit for a better angle. Her fingers run down his soft hair and ends up in his hand. Their fingers interlock. Sanghyun counted down as a tease which made her giggle the sweetest giggle.

"3, 2, -"

"Hey guys! Time's up!" their former classmate burst open the closet door. "Did I interrupt something?"

Sanghyun glares at him with a killing motive on his face. While Jieun hides her face in embarrassment. He pulls her up and goes to the dance floor, leaving their friend dumbfounded.

The DJ is playing a slow song, "I'm In Love" by Narsha to be exact. They're the only ones dancing because the caterers is starting to serve dinner.

"Can I have this dance my lady?" Sanghyun bows down like a gentleman and extends his hand to her.

"Of course you may, good sir." Jieun curtsies and accepts his hand playfully. He snakes his muscled arms to her small waist, erasing any space between them. She wraps his neck with her slender arms, and due to their large height gap, she has to tip toe.

Sanghyun saw this and offers her to step on his feet.

"I'm much heavier now. You might get hurt." Jieun says.

"It's okay. I'm wearing steel-toed shoes right now."

"Alrighty then." she lifted her feet onto the top of his steel-toed shoes.

 

The DJ changes tracks and plays "Baby Baby" by 4men at the same time nibbles on a cookie given by a waitress.

 

iyureul mollasseo wae naega byeonhaenneunji

hancham saenggakhaesseo na mannan ihuro

na byeonhan geot gata aju manhi mariya

i norae deullini oh

 

Sanghyun and Jieun started swaying to the beautiful music. The petite girl lays her head on his hard chest and her handsome prince rests his head on hers. Their other former classmates sees the reconciled couple dancing as though they are in their world where there's no past nor future, only the present. A old friend of Jieun even requested a spotlight on them.

"Sanghyun, I just thought of something."

"What is it?"

"We never sang in the closet."

"So?"

"I thought you missed our duets?"

"Yeah, I do. You want to sing, don't you?" Jieun nodded. He chuckles at her small request.

“niga neomu gomapjanha oh baby

niga neomu yeppeujanha oh” Sanghyun sings to her.

Jieun follows him, singing: “nuneul ttel suga eobseo nae nunen neoman boyeo.”

“neoman gyesok baro bogo sipjanha nan oh jeongmal oh baby” their voices blend like an angel choir. It’s pure perfection.

Sanghyun lifts his head from Jieun's. She looks to him and raises a brow for ruining the moment.

He takes his time to appreciate Jieun enchanting beauty. Sanghyun looks deep into her dark brown eyes as it sparkles in the dark evening. It is dazzling to him. The way her white and black dress compliment her milky skin makes her more attractive. Sanghyun feels that his heart wants to jump out his chest at the sight of his Lee Jieun.

 

haruga jinago (haruga jinago)

tto dasimannago geureoda heeojigo

tto dasi mannage doego neomu joheungeoya

manyang utgiman hae ireon naega boini? woo baby

 

Sanghyun cups her cheeks and brings his face to hers once more. He crashes his lips onto hers. It's ecstasy, heaven or whatever adjective synonymous to the latter. If only they can stop time, they would stay like that, in pleasure.

 

niga neomu gomapjanha oh baby

niga neomu yeppeujanha woo

nuneul ttelsuga eobseo nae nunen neoman boyeo

neoman gyesok barabogo sipjanha nan oh jeongmal

 

Jieun tightens her wrap on his neck. He tilts his head to kiss her more passionately like the world depended on it. He bites her upper lip which causes Jieun to gasp and for his tongue to enter . Their tongues wrestle until the couple pants for air. The song ends and their kiss ends.

 

nae haru haruga neomu haengbokhaeseo oh baby

ireonnari kkeutnajil ankil modeunge da byeonhaji ankil

 

niga neomu gomapjanha oh baby

niga neomu yeppeujanha oh oh oh yeah

nuneul ttel suga eobseo nae nunen neoman boyeo

neoman gyesok barabogo sipjanha nan oh jeongmal

 

Oh baby oh oh oh

 

The entire batch claps for them, some even teared.

"It' so bewootipul!" one exclaimed like she's fangirling on a favorite pairing.

"Let's give it up for Park Sanghyun and Lee Jieun!" the DJ shouts thru the mic.

 

They shyly thank their batchmates, then exited the dance floor, still flushed from earlier.

 


a/n I planned to post this with a poster, but after seeing the comments I didn't wait. LOL. I hope you liked the one-shot! It's my first time writing something like this. My writing seems to be improving compared to my last update to Luckily You Came Along.

WAIT!

"Closed" doesn't end here!

There's an epilogue. I'm still editing some pics.