first and last

"Wrong guy, huh?" [ONE-SHOT]

        Hi, my name is Mika. Life doesn’t seem to love me at all. Things started to change when I lost my both parent in a fire accident. It is still clear in my mind.

        One evening, Mum was cooking in the kitchen, dad was helping her. I was in the living room doing my homework. Suddenly, I heard an explosion from the kitchen. The gas smell filled the air, smokes came from the kitchen. I ran towards it, my eyes started to tears up. Mum and dad were lying there. Lifeless. Burnt. I can’t even recognise them anymore.

         Now here I am, staying at a Group Home. It was like some kind of orphanage, but in a smaller amount of children that either lost or neglected by their parents.

          “This is Hyuna. Hyuna, please show Mika around, will you?” the house lady gestured said to a brown haired girl when we reached a bedroom.

          “Sure. Annyeong”Hyuna slides into my elbow. That’s how our friendship started. She brought me around the house and met the others.

          There were only five of us, including me. A blonde short hair girl, Sohyun. And two brothers, Doojoon and Dongwoon. “Annyeong-haseyo. Plase take care of me.” I bowed.

          It was lunch time; we gathered around a table and started to ask questions. “How old are you?” Doojoon looked at me.

          “16. Soon.”

         “Great. You’re the same as Dongwoon then.” He pointed at Dongwoon, who looked serious and ignored us.

           A week passed, I started to get used to my new surrounding, made friends with the others. Sohyun was a kind girl, she help me around doing the chores. So does Hyuna. While Doojoon likes to tease me around, joking and some time I noticed that he stared at me. Dongwoon was a serious guy, he didn’t talk a lot. Every time I greet him, he’ll just walk past me. I felt like he somehow hated me. What have I done?

          One night, I had a bad dream about the bad tragedy. The fire, the loud explosion, the air smells. The worst part was; my parent’s dead body. I woke up panting, sweats washed all over me.

          I went to the kitchen and had a glass of water to calm me down. Then I headed to the piano room. Mum was a pianist. We own a white grand piano at home. When I’m feeling down, she’ll play my favourite song, Moonlight by Yiruma.

          I pressed on the key, slowly the rhythm started played. My tears rolled down on my cheek, my heart felts like it would splits into two. “Omma... Appa...” I cried. Why must they leave me? I have no one else left. I was alone.

          “Gwaenchana?” a voice beside me said. It was Dongwoon. He sat beside me and patted my back.

          Quickly, I wiped my tears away. “Sorry. Did I play it aloud?”

           “No. I just can’t sleep.” He looked at me with a concern look, “You okay?”

            I told him everything. He accompanied me through the night, saying that I’ll be okay. My heart started to calm down, it felt comfortable around him. I felt protected and he understands me.

            Next morning, Doojoon offered to help me on the laundry. “I heard that you—“he paused, “You okay?”

           Apparently, Dongwoon told him what happened last night. “Yes, I just miss my parents.”

           “Don’t worry. I’m here for you.” He smiled.

           Now, a month had passed. I started to get close with Doojoon. He was a kind guy. When I’m down, apparently, Dongwoon would show up. Like he knew that I’m crying even when I hide myself.

            One day, Dongwoon stopped in front of me and whispered, “Doojoon likes you.”

             I blushed, “What?”

            “Go. He need you.” He said before walking away.

            I stopped him, asking for explanation. He hesitated at first, and then told me that Doojoon was sick. Brain tumour. He can’t live long.

            I lay on my bed, thinking what Dongwoon had said. Brain tumour? I sighed.

           Then, Doojoon knocked on my door. He stuttered, “C-can we, d-date?”

            I was flattered. All these days, I enjoyed spending time with him. He was the first guy to ask me, so I said “Sure.”

            That night, we went to the ice-cream parlour. Then we visit the park nearby. “You cold?” Doojoon turned to me.

            “Kinda.” I rubbed on my arm. He took off his jacket and laid it on me, then he stopped. His hand on my both arm. Our eyes met. His face lowered to me, our lips touched.

            I froze. I didn’t do anything. Finally, the connection caught and I kiss him back, awkwardly, some part of me still holding back. My gut twisting, like I was doing something wrong, making a huge mistake and—

           He stopped. For a moment, he placed his head above mine. “Wrong guy, huh?” he said softly.

           I stared at him. Suddenly Dongwoon’s face flashed over me. His voice, his eyes. The way he were there when I cry. By then, I just realise who my heart belongs to. It was him. Dongwoon.

          We walked back to the house, separately. He was ahead of me, then disappeared when I looked up. I sighed.

         “Dongwoon likes you too. Sorry. I should’ve told you earlier. But, I was jealous. When he told me about he comforting you, when he was the one who was there for you. I—I was afraid that you won’t accept me.”

         That’s how it ends. My first date. End in just a night. For me being so reckless to understand my own heart.

          I reached the front house, Dongwoon were there. Sitting by the swing. “Why are you alone? Where’s Doojoon?”

          I looked up at him, he looked worried. Relief washed through me. I couldn’t say a word, and walked pass him. He blocked. “Are you crying?” he lifted my chin.

          I stiffened. My heart raced. “I—I screwed up.”

         He looked at me in disbelief, “What happened? I thought I’ve told you that he needs you.”

        I glared at him, my sight blurred up with tears. “I—I know, b-but,” my throat choked. Confess to him right now, Mik! Tell him he is the one that you need.

          He hugged me, patting my back. “It’s okay. It’s okay...” We stayed there for a moment. “I--,” Dongwoon started to say, “This wouldn’t be the right moment. But—“ he paused.

         “I need you.” I finally said, “I—I know that how much you want me to be with Doojoon. But—I just—can’t.”

        Our eyes met, his eyes sparkled like a star. “I’m sorry.” He pulled me to him, “I shouldn’t lie to myself. I love you.”