Pests

Fluffy and Irrelevant ONE-SHOTS

 

Boram was so astonish on how fluffy and cute the little puff ball wrapping around her legs was. It's fur was white as snow and whever it looked at her, it's eyes would shine like crystals, it was so hard for Boram to not fall in love with the little critter. She and Hyomin were visiting an animal adoption event center. Hyomin hated the idea of going to events like this because she has no intention of buying, let alone touching an animal, she thinks they're filthy. Each time she looked over at Boram playing with the white cat, she can't help but to become furious.
 
"Let's go Boram. These things are filthy." her sudden attack of words made the little girl whine, "Why?! Can't we just adopt one?"
 
Boram always had a thing for animals, she loved seeing them play with each other. At times like this, she wondered how she even became friends with such an animal despising person. Hyomin then repeated herself, "These things are filthy. They pee and poop everwhere."
 
"Then all you have to do is train them not to- which I can!" Boram fought back trying to someohow persuade the older girl. Hyomin gritted her teeth, "it's a waste of time; training them but still having to clean up after them."
 
Boram then tried her best to persuade her even more, "there are animals that you don't have to clean up after much. Come on, Hyomin, you won't have to do anything, you can just do whatever you do everyday and I'll take on the responsibility, okay? What do you say?"
 
"Well" Hyomin started, "don't you know that even if you take on all of the responsibility that the pest's smell will still be all over the house? You expect me to live under that condition?"
 
"Animals are not pests! They're marvelous, adorable creatures. You just have to take your time and try to love them."
 
"Call them whatever you want, it won't change my mind" after saying that, she dragged Boram out, ignoring the eyes staring at them. Boram didn't want to be more embarassed then she is now so she stayed quiet until they finally exited the center.
 
Throughout the whole walk home, Boram has been whining "why Hyomin-ah?" but all Hyomin did was ignore her. She has always been like this, always complaining and never laughing or smiling. Even sharing an apartment with her, the chances of seeing her doing such actions was comepletely impossible.
 
Once in their apartment, Boram cut in front of her, stomping her feet and pouting, trying to get Hyomin's attention. Hyomin could care less and just slid passed Boram's left side. When Hyomin was about to step in the bathroom, Boram cut in front of her once more. "Hey! What do you think you're doing?" Hyomin yelled.
 
Boram was mentally smirking because she know that she was able to get Hyomin's attention no matter how much she tried to ignore her. Boram fianlly asked "why do you hate animals?"
 
"I just do."
 
"Give me another reason, Hyomin."
 
Hyomin, again, ignored her and slid in the bathroom. While Hyomin was taking a bath, Boram did a little investigating. No one is able to hate animals without a real specific reason, she thought. She sneaked in Hyomin's room. There was always one thing that catches her eyes each time she entered, it was a picture of a smiling Hyomin when she was little, about 7 years of age, on her desk. But the photo was ripped so it was impossible to tell who or what was in that ripped piece.
 
Ignoring it, she then searched every inch of the room; in draws, bookshelves, photo albums, around her bed. She did see something UNDER her bed though. Boram focused her sight on that object and tried to figure out what it was. She went to the kitchen and got a pair of chopsticks and tried to reach further under the bed, due to such short arms, doing such a task wasn't easy but in the end, she was able to take the item out. It was just a t-shirt. Boram then gave in and collasped the on the floor, no matter how much she tried to look, it was useless because there was no evidence of any kind whatsoever.
 
Boram walked to the laundry room to deposit the dirty t-shirt but when she threw it in the laundry basket, she saw something fly out of it. She picked the object and widen her eyes out of shock. It was a picture of a dog. She ran back to Hyomin's room and placed the picture of the dog with Hyomin's picture. Perfect fit.
 
Hyomin had a dog.
 
"What are you doing?" Boram jumped due to the startle. She knew whose voice is was but refused to turned around. She heard footsteps coming closer. "I repeat, what are you doing?"
 
Boram stuttered as she speaked, "you used to have a dog, Hyomin?"
 
Hyomin didn't know if she should yell at Boram or not, but since she already disappointed Boram today, she let it slide and sat down on the bed with her forehead on her palms. "Yes I did." Hyomin began slowly. "Her name was Sherri. My dad got her for me when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I used to love playing fetch with her, cuddling her, taking her out for walks. But then one day, she died due to my foolishness." Boram stared at Hyomin with sympathetic eyes. "Can I asked what happened?" She nodded and continued.
 
"I was a stubborn girl when I was young, always getting into trouble. One day my brother and I were fighting over some so useless that I've forgotten what it was about. I got mad and left the house not knowing that Sherri was following me. While I was mumbling and cursing between my lips, a car was driving at full speed right at me. I was like a deer, frozen in front of a car. I heard my parents' cries but my body had no intention of moving. That's when Sherri jumped in and pushed me away. I snapped back into reality when I felt the friction between the broken shells and rocks on the ground and my knees. I looked back and saw red. And a motionless Sherri."
 
Hyomin looked up and saw Boram with eyes full of water. "So that's why you told me that you hated animals?" Boram asked. "Yup, because of that event, I was never able to touch another animal and convincing myself to hate animals was the only way."
 
"But that's NOT the only way." Boram snapped "you have to forget about the past and move on, Hyomin. You'll never be able to do anything if you're not able to get rid of such a burden in your memories." she grabbed Hyomin's hand. "We're going back to that animal adoption center."
 
Hyomin thought that maybe Boram was right. Maybe she really does have to conquer her fear. She didn't try resisting when Boram dragged her out the door, which was a complete surprise to Boram.
 
Hyomin was nervous entering the animal center again. She saw Boram scurrying to the white cat that she was playing with earlier today. She popped it in front of Hyomin's face, "pet it" she said. Hyomin reached her hand out slowly, reaching for it's head. When her fingers finally touched it's head, it purred. She kept petting it's head slowly. Boram was smiling with open, she was so happy that she was able to see the moment when Hyomin bonded with an animal. But then she went something wet dropped down on her hand. When she looked up, she saw Hyomin crying.
 
"Are you alright, Hyomin?!" She asked in a worried tone. Hyomin wiped her eyes and showed her the smile that she had hidden for years, "yes I am. Everything is."