Beautifully, Playfully

His Playful Heart

 

 

“Well, look who’s finally here” smiled Yoona, gesturing to the guy who was walking towards their cafeteria table.

“Were you putting on some make-up or something, Luhan hyung?” Zelo whined as he ate some cherry tomatoes. “We were here for like, 30 minutes. You wasted half of my free time already”

 

Luhan sat beside Yoona and faced Zelo. “Yah, I already told you I felt like kind of sick so I went to the school clinic. The P.E. report I did yesterday was tiring”

“Oh come’on Luhan, I was there and all you did was talk, we barely even moved a muscle” she retorted.

“Exactly Yoona” said Luhan, putting his arm around her shoulder. “All that thinking overloaded my brain. Headache” he smiled, which made Yoona’s heart skip a beat or two.

“You’re hopeless sometimes, Lu” she said affectionately, removing Luhan’s arms from her shoulder.

“Oh yes I am, choding” said Luhan with a y smirk. Yoona was always so childish. However, she denies it though she knows it’s true.

“You know I don’t like to be called choding, kitty” she said as she gave him a playful glare. To everyone, Luhan was a kitty because he was adorable. But to Yoona, he was a kitty because of his habit of suddenly appearing in her house or as she calls it, ‘lurking’.

“You know I don’t like to be called kitty, choding” he moved his face closer to hers, making their faces just inches already.

Zelo, who was sitting in front of them, sensed a tickle fight between the two and smiled. “Oh you two”

Both of them looked at him. “What?” they said in unison.

“Your lovey-dovey stuff is too much for me and my cherry tomatoes to handle you know” he explained with a grin before shoving another cherry tomato into his mouth like a 5-year-old.

Luhan blushed as did Yoona and both of them looked away from each other.

“Me and Yoona?” asked Luhan with a face that was still light pink. “W-We’re just friends” he stuttered and faked a smile.

“Yeah” said Yoona, her face as pink as Luhan’s.

Yoona and Luhan have been bestfriends for only 2 years so far but their memories were as precious as a diamond. Whenever they were together they always had a smile on their faces. They would pull pranks on a lot of people, well, most probably Zelo, and there would be a time when they ditched class together and spent detention together for the whole week, or that time when they took their licensure exams together and terribly failed… together. But none of them regretted anything. Even if one of them could change it, no one would. They’d have it just the way it is.

There was silence for the next few seconds until Luhan spoke.

“He’s only saying that cause he’s forever alone” he joked.

“Yah! I’m not!” argued Zelo.

“Why? Are you liking somebody, little bro?” he said, leaning in closer with curiosity in his eyes.

Zelo’s face slightly blushed. “A-Ani”

“Ooh, he’s blushing!” teased Yoona. “Who’s the special someone Zelo?” she said with a wink.

“I-I already told you I don’t like anyone!” he pouted.

Yoona was about to argue and convince him to spit it out but they spotted a young girl walking towards the table with a small envelope on her hands.

“Oh, Ji Ae-ah!” called Yoona. The adorable 10-year-old girl smiled at them and handed each one an envelope.

“I’m having a sleep over so all of you better come!” she demanded in a sweet, childish tone.

“Umm… Ji Ae, you do realize that there’s no need to give me and Luhan hyung these invitations” he said. “We live in the same house”

“Let her do what she likes Zelo-ah” said Luhan, walking towards Ji Ae and brushing her hair with his hands. “We’ll go little princess” he smiled brightly.

“Gomawo Oppa!” she said and walked out happily.

After a while, Luhan faced Yoona. “Hey, If you don’t want to, you-“

“Pssh, it won’t be fair if only this kitty lurks around my house, right?” she said, poking Luhan’s nose. “Of course I’ll come. I’ll bring my best jammies.”

Luhan felt happy for no proper reason. Why was he happy like this? For the first time in two years, which is probably ridiculous, his best friend would step into his house. Heck she’d spent an entire night in his house. But, why is it suddenly so big of a deal to him?

“Oh I’d like to see that” laughed Luhan, discarding the weird feeling.

Yoona stuck her tongue out at him and grabbed her bag. “I have class now so, bye”

“See you later, choding”

 

 

 

 

“This drama is so boring!” Luhan whined and faced Yoona. “I’m glad I have you to talk to”

“I’m glad I have you too, Lu” she said, looking at Luhan.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you” Luhan said.

“Probably be a lonely person” she laughed.

“Not to mention I’d fail half of my classes and have the forever alone Zelo as a best friend” Luhan added.

“Come’on Lu” she insisted. “You wouldn’t fail, you’re not stupid”

“Face it, Yoona” he said. “Without you I’m hopeless”

“Well,” Yoona smiled. “Yeah, probably”

“You’re brilliant, Yoong”

Yoona blushed. The mood softened. Luhan looked down into her eyes and noticed how beautiful they were and how perfect he made her feel then and there. Yoona felt the same.

They both leaned in and kissed.

 

 

Luhan opened his eyes from sleeping. He got up and realized what he dreamt about. He dreamt about kissing her best friend! It was wrong but it felt right. He wanted to deny it but he couldn’t. He couldn’t lie to himself. He loved her.

He shook his head. His head might have just been exhausted from all the water balloons the 10-year-old children had thrown him.

He looked at the clock and saw that it was 1 in the morning. Not hearing the annoying high-pitched voices of little children anymore, he nodded to himself. They were already asleep. Well, it’s about time. The sleepover had ended successfully. Well, if you consider being the only grownups there and being jumped on by heavy 10-year-olds successful. But that’s not it. It was because she was there. Because Yoona was there, playing with the children in her pink, cloud jammies, ordering them to jump on him as she laughed, and putting the children to sleep, it was perfect. She was perfect.

He stood up and walked towards the kitchen, wanting to keep his mind off things.

But when he got there, he saw a girl sitting in front of the counter, eating what seemed like chocolate cake.

“Yoona?”

The girl looked around and smiled. “Oh, Luhan, Hey”

So much for keeping mind off things.

He sat down beside her and ate with her. “Look who’s being a kitty now” he teased.

“Yah! I wasn’t lurking around, you know!” she defended. “And, it was Ji Ae who told me to eat the cake if I wanted to”

“Pssh, yeah right”  Luhan joked, shoving more cake into his mouth.

They kept silent for a while until Luhan spoke.

“What woke you up in the middle of the night anyway?” he asked.

“A dream” she said. “I couldn’t go back to sleep”

“Was it bad?” Luhan wondered.

“No” Yoona said abruptly . “It was… probably the best dream I ever had actually”

“What was it about?” Luhan asked, nudging her.

Yoona blushed. “It’s personal”

“Personal?” Luhan axclaimed. “Too personal to tell your best friend? Aw, come’on!”

“Hey, there are some personal girl stuff you know”

“Personal girl stuff?” Luhan looked at her with curious eyes. “Did you dream about half- guys and other stuff?” he faked a gasp and put on a shocked face.

“Mwo?! Ani!” Yoona exclaimed. “I’m not erted you know!” Yoona glared and Luhan smiled.

He shoved more of the chocolate cake in his mouth. “Whatever you say” he said with a sly grin.

They kept silent again but this time, it was Yoona who spoke first. “What about you, Lu? What woke you up in the middle of the night?”

“I had a great dream too, and couldn’t get back to sleep” he explained.

“What was yours about?”

“It’s personal” he blushed.

“Could it be-“

“No” Luhan said, not letting Yoona continue. “It’s not about girls in bikinis or anything like that”

Yoona laughed. “Okay, you just said everything I was supposed to”

“I’m not that erted you know”

“Whatever you say” said Yoona with a sly grin.

Déjà vu much.

Soon they realized that there was only one slice of chocolate cake left. They glared at each other, then the cake, then each other.

“Mine” they said in unison.

Yoona moved to grab the remaining piece and placed her hand near it but Luhan did the same and his manly hand (as he would always describe it) rested on Yoona’s delicate one.

Yoona blushed and turned away. Luhan did the same but saw that the piece of cake was still there and took it.

Yoona noticed what he had done. “You’re hopeless Lu” she teased, smothering a giggle as he shoved the whole half into his mouth. “I can’t imagine what your multitude of fangirls back at school have seen in you, between stealing food from your bestfriend, shoving it down your throat-“

Luhan swallowed the rest of the cake and grinned. He really was famous. Famous enough to have a squealing mob of girls following him around.

“I think you’re jealous” he proclaimed cheerfully. “of my fangirls”

Yoona gaped. “I am not! What gives you that idea, huh, kitty?”

“For starters” he smirked. “You never seem to like the girls who follow me around. And when that girl Elle gave me something in Valentines day, you seemed to glare at her the whole time and not to mention, anytime I flirt with a girl you-“

“Oh shut up, Lu” she ordered him, stepping back and trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach that always start dancing when he’s in close proximity. “I’m not jealous of your fangirls. Why would I be?”

Luhan drummed his fingers on the counter. “I don’t know. Maybe cause you like me”

“Of course I like you” Yoona was about to say ‘as best friends’ but Luhan moved closer to her and looked into her eyes, making her half-paralyzed or something.

He grinned at her. “If you know what I mean”

Suddenly, it felt like the room temperature has increased, because they were there, in the kitchen, at one A.M., looking right through each other. And she kind of has to wonder how he could possibly not notice that not only does she like her, but somewhere along the lines, she’s fallen head over heels in love with Luhan, her best friend.

“Yoona… I love you” he whispered. And then he was on the other side of the counter, one arm wrapping around her waist and the other tucking a stray curl behind her hair. She made a mental note to remember  how to breath when he leans down, angling his head, her hands his shirt.

And then his lips met hers, and she forgets pretty much everything at the taste of sugar, pinapples, and chocolate cake in and the feel of his body warm against hers, the connection between them real intense as he kisses her like she’s never been kissed before.

“Maybe we should – ah – “ Luhan paused, catching his breath when he draws back, leaning his forehead against hers, “– take this to my room?”

She smiled and was about to say something but Luhan carried her bridal style to his room, kissing her once more.