01 Never

Mistake

Present

 

"Do you think I should get back together with Soojung?"

 

Kai hadn't expected the question at all. He blinked a couple of times and spoke, "Did you just say you wanted to get back together with Krystal?"

 

Taemin only nodded. His expression suggested that he was more than serious about this.

 

Why does he suddenly want to get back together with her?

 

"Why do you suddenly want to get back together with her?"

 

Taemin thought for awhile and replied, "Because I want her back."

 

Kai felt his heart constrict. "You shouldn't," the words came out of his mouth before he could stop himself.

 

A perplexed expression grew on Taemin's handsome face. Of course he was confused. Kai had always liked Krystal for him. Whenever Taemin had doubts about his relationship with Krystal in the past, he would go to Kai and Kai would always manage to convince him to stay with Krystal. So why was Kai against him getting back together with Krystal this time?

 

"Why not?" Taemin heard himself ask. He was challenging Kai to give him a reason as to why he shouldn't get back with his on-and-off ex-girlfriend of nine...ten years?

 

Taemin himself wasn't entirely sure when he and Krystal started dating, but he knew the both of them hadn't even hit puberty when he asked her to be his girlfriend for the very first time. Throughout the span of their on-and-off relationship, they had their disagreements and fought like all couples did. They even broke up a couple of times, but it was always only a matter of weeks -- sometimes days -- before they would make up and get back together again. It was always like that. Their most recent break up though, happened almost two years ago. At that time, Taemin was so sure that it would be their final break up -- they wouldn't get back together again like they did all those other times. They hadn't even had an argument that time, he just felt the need to end things once and for all.

 

"I think we should break up. And for real this time. Admit it, we don't love each other anymore. In fact, I think we've stopped having feelings for each other a long time ago. We were just too cowardly to end things. Because we've been together for so long, I couldn't imagine a life without you. But I've realised now that I've got to stop being a coward and man up. I have to move on... We have to move on, Soojung-ah. We've wasted so many years on a relationship built on petty puppy love."

 

Those were his exact words to Krystal.

 

But he wasn't so sure anymore.

 

"Because two years ago, you decided that you were officially done with her," Kai's voice brought Taemin back into the present, "You can't go back on your word."

 

Taemin let out an audible sigh. "I know what I said back then. But Jongin... I miss her. So much."

 

Kai felt as though someone had just punched him in the gut. "You shouldn't..." his voice cracked, "Stick to your word, Taemin. You can't get back together with her just because you think you miss her. It's not right."

 

Taemin's brows furrowed. "Where is this coming from, Jongin? You've always liked Soojung for me. If I remember correctly, all those years ago, it was you who told me I should ask her to be my girlfriend. No matter what happened between us, you always supported our relationship."

 

"I changed my mind," was all Kai said.

 

Taemin shook his head and dropped the topic. He thought his best friend was acting rather out of character but didn't see much into it.

 

 

She was ignoring his calls again. This has been going on for nearly two years now and Kai was sick of it. But for some reason, he wouldn't stop trying.

 

Kai swore and threw his phone onto his bed in frustration. The conversation he had with Taemin from ealier that day replayed in his mind and Kai found himself growing angrier. He was angry with Taemin for being so inconstant; angry at the girl who has caused him so much heartache for the past two years; angry at the world for being so unfair.

 

He admitted it. He was jealous of Taemin. His best friend might not know it, but everything Kai ever wanted had always ended up being Taemin's instead.

 

There was that dance competition in high school that Kai trained so hard for because he wanted to show his father the only talent he believed he possessed. Taemin hadn't even signed up for the thing, much less practised his off like Kai had. Taemin just showed up on that day and did a little impromptu dance due to the request of his fangirls. And just like that, the judges gave first place to him.

 

Not having everything else didn't matter much to Kai, but winning that dance competition was something he had truly wanted. He wanted to prove to his father that he wasn't completely useless. The best part was, Taemin wasn't even aware about how Kai felt. Not that Kai was blaming his best friend. Taemin was just one of those people who got everything in life.

 

 

Back to context, almost two years ago, Kai found something -- or rather someone -- that he really wanted: Krystal Jung.

 

Krystal had always been Taemin's. Ever since they were kids, Krystal had never even taken a second glance at Kai. And Kai was fine with it. He never thought that he would end up falling in love with her. Even after he realised his true feelings for Krystal, Kai never acted on them. No, he would never do that to Taemin.

 

But two years ago, when Taemin decided to end things with Krystal for good, Kai felt as though the heavens were finally giving him a chance to pursue Krystal. But things got… complicated.

 

The thought of Taemin wanting Krystal back again infuriated Kai.

 

Won’t he ever be contented with everything he already has? When will he stop stealing everything I want from me?

 

Kai knew it was unfair for him to be mad at Taemin when his best friend wasn’t doing any of this on purpose -- hell, Taemin was probably oblivious to all of this.

 

But for once, Kai just wanted something to vent out all his anger, sadness and frustration on. Just once he wanted to be able to hate his perfect best friend.

 



 

 

Author's note:

I was really surprised when I woke up this morning and saw 11 subscriptions with only the foreword up.

You guise *blushes*

Anyway, this chapter was really short /.\ but I just wanted to post something up. I don't really like my writing style but I have all these ideas for stories and I just need to share them O.O 

Again, thanks to those amazing 11 people who subscribed/commented. Love you guise even though I technically don't know any of you <3

And sorry the first's chapter's so dodgy. It was just an introduction...thing. I'll try to make the upcoming chapters better, but I might not be able to update until next week. :( 

 

Comment replies:

yoong_soojung - Hello thurrr :3 haha, really? I thought there would be more Taestal fics because Taemin's been around (in the kpop industry, that is) a lot longer than Kai has. But I guess people ship Taemin with Sulli more. I don't have anything against Sulli (I think she's pree amazing) but I just think Taestal is more real than Taelli xD sorry, Taelli shippers. But anyway, do you still want Taestal after reading that? Don't you pity poor ol' Kai? I ship both Taestal and Kaistal though, and I haven't decided on the ending yet.

starcube - omgosh it's starcube :O You are like an amazing author *brb spazzing* LOVE all your fics. Thank you for commenting/subscribing. Heh, D.O does look lovely in the gif, doesn't he?

-pinkfairy - Hahaha, I love TaeKaiStal. Best love triangle ever! XXXXXXX D.O'S SO HANDSOME <3

--trinityy - Thank you for commenting and subscribing, lovely :) haha, I love both Taestal and Kaistal and think both of them would look good with my Soojungie xD I'm a Krystal ship-. I basically ship her with everyone, but Tastal and Kaistal are at the top of my list.