Chapter One

Cloud Zero: with Minnie and Woonie

(3rd POV)

The weather was beautiful, and the world was singing. She could hear the poetic verses of the birds chirping. Outside the grandeur of Nature shone—the sun an agate lamp from Psyche to Eros. She woke up to a start knowing how beautiful a day this would come out to be. It was then that she realized she had a task to complete. It was her ‘hubbie’s’ birthday, and she had to get him something he would surely not forget.

She went to the kitchen to go pop a pill because her headaches were starting to come again. She didn’t know why they came so frequent, but lately, she had been having them and needed to see a doctor.

Is there something wrong with my body? She thought.

She began humming to herself without even realizing it and was too busy thinking of one person, when that said person walked in. It was her ‘hubby,’ Yesung. 

“Hey, babe. What’s up?” He asked as he kissed her cheek.

“Hmm?” She blushed. His smell was intoxicating her, and after taking a sniff, she quickly took a sip of the coffee in her hand, and allowed the coffee’s smell to engulf her.

He just smiled at her and caressed her cheek, as he grabbed his own mug of coffee that she had prepared for him.

“Are you doing anything today?” He finally spoke. Recalling her plan from earlier, she simply nodded her head.

“You?” She asked to make polite conversation.

“Oh?” He seemed disappointed. “Uh, yeah…me too. I guess.”

She nodded her head again, “Well, I gotta go.”

“Go? Again?” He almost pouted. It was cute.

“Where do you always run off to these days?” He questioned her, as she hurriedly packed her purse.

“Look, honey-dumpling,” she said as she turned to him, “I’m just going to visit my sister. You know the whole divorce thing she is going through. That’s all it is.”

“That better be all it is,” He murmured, as she walked out the door.

*********************************************************************

“I’m telling you,” Yesung paced around the room while on the phone. “She is doing something behind my back.”

“Do you have so little faith in my sister?” The voice on the other line spoke.

“Jinwoonie,” Yesung whined. Something he was usually embarrassed to do in front of Min Ah, his wife.

“Arrasso, arrasso.” Jinwoon chuckled, “You and me both, actually. Just last week…”

“Jinwoon,” Yesung interrupted. “My story, remember.”

“Okay. Jeez.” Jinwoon grumbled. “Alright. I’m all ears. You were saying.”

“Okay,” Yesung continued, “Well for the past 2 weeks, she has been avoiding me, and lying to me about being at her sister’s place. Which clearly she is not at. And her sister is not divorcing…yet, that is. And also, my friend recalled seeing her at Shilla.” He ranted on.

“Whoa! Dude man! And I thought I had issues with my sis, but dude you…” Jinwoon chuckled.

“Yeah, yeah. You can stop laughing now.” This time it was Yesung’s turn to grumble.

“Just trick her into telling you. I’m sure she’ll come around, especially wherever you are concerned.” Jinwoon advised.

“But, how?”

“Well….”

***********************************************************************

Yesung pulled up to Shilla hotel’s parking lot. He entered in the hotel and asked the receptionist for his reservation that he made a couple hours ago. Lugging his mini suitcase, he strode to the elevator and made his way up. As he was keying in his card, he saw Eunmin walk out of a hotel room four doors down from his own.

Letting out a gasp, he quickly hid himself behind a pillar that was conveniently there in the hallway. She passed by him without noticing him.

She couldn’t have. Could she? She wouldn’t have an affair? Not to me? Would she?

*************************************************************************

The moment he entered his room, he picked up the phone and immediately called for room service.

“But sir…,” the lady at the front desk on the other side protested.

“I’m paying for it, aren’t I,” he growled impatiently to the phone.

“Yes, sir. Right away, sir.”

About 15 minutes later, there was a knock on the door, and as soon as he opened it, a cart of food was wheeled in. Yesung stared at the woman who wheeled in the cart. Rather, she was more of a young lady.

“Here you go, sir.” The lady turned to him.

Shocked beyond belief to find that the young lady in front of him was in fact his wife, Yesung shakingly handed over a mighty tip of 100,000 won.

“Thank you, sir.” His wife bowed, but as soon as her head lifted up, her eyes met his.

“Yesung?” She questioned.

He was at a loss for words. Why was she bringing the food? Then like a strike of lightening, he noticed her nametag on her chest, which stated part-timer.

“Wait--,” he managed to choke out, “You work here?

“Umm….yeah,” she hesitantly replied.

“But….but….why?”

“Well, because…um…wait, what are you doing here?” She turned the question on him.

He gulped. He couldn’t tell her he doubted her, even if it was just for a mere second, though it was more than that.

“Well, I came to see you. Your sister seem to have said otherwise.” The ball was now in his field, and he threw it back at her.

Caught in the lie, Eunmin kept quiet. Clearing , she finally spoke, “Did she tell you why I was here?”

“Yes.” He lied without hesitation.

“Oh. And?”

“You tell me. It’s quite a day today, isn’t it?” He said, feigning ignorance.

Eunmin sighed and sat on the hotel bed.

“Well,” she started, “It was your birthday today, and after I quit my old job due to our marriage, I wanted to get you something with what I earned. So, the hotel required some new hands, and so about a week ago, I started working here…so I could buy you something nice,” she mumbled the last part.

“Oh.” Was all he said.

After a moment’s silence, she spoke again, “Were you spying on me?”

“Hmm, me? Of course not.” Yesung denied immediately.

“Really?”

Unable to take her gaze any longer, he confessed the truth. “It was Jinwoon’s idea. He begged me to take up action.” Well, half the truth.

“Why?” Eunmin asked.

“Let’s not worry about it. Since it’s my birthday, let’s just spend our time here. We’ve got room service, TV, bed, and each other. We’ve got all we need.”

“Cool.” She readily agreed.

~~~~

After hanging out for several hours in the room, the two decided to sit back and relax, snuggling in with each other on the hotel bed.

“Do you ever wonder if there is life beyond this?” Eunmin asked her husband.

“Hmm, you mean like afterlife?” He asked back.

“No, like if there’s more to it. Like, I mean…like a whole chunk missing,” she clarified.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean something just isn’t right. Why did we marry? Why did we fall in love? When did we? It’s all so rainbows and bright lights.”

“Are you saying you regret ever marrying me?” Yesung turned to her, and stopped caressing Eunmin’s hair.

“No. It’s just…never mind.” Just then the hotel phone rang bringing them out of their reverie.

“Hello,” Yesung answered.

“Sir. There is a gas leak in the East wing. I’m going to have to ask you and whatever party you may have to leave your rooms immediately. This is an emergency. Please head towards the second floor information desk, through the fifth exit by the staircase.” Then the line went into a long beep, as if to cover up some profane words.

The couple headed to the second floor through the 5th exist by the staircase. When they reached the information desk, another couple was also waiting. They received the key for their new room.

“Excuse me. But can we change rooms?” The girl next to them asked.

“Uh…” Eunmin looked at Yesung for a moment, then back at the girl, “Sure, I guess.”

“Omo! Thank you so much!” The girl exclaimed. “It’s just that our room has two rooms, but yours has a balcony, and I’d much rather have the room with the balcony.”

“Well, okay then. No problem.” Eunmin cheekily replied. Taking their things, both couples parted ways and went to their respective rooms.

“Well, that was weird.” Yesung thought out loud.

“I know. Tell me about it.” Eunmin said as she looked around the room.

“Yeah,” Yesung agreed, “We should settle down for the night, and see what tomorrow brings. Ya never know, I might just win the lottery.”

******************************************************************************

(Eunmin’s POV)

The sunlight dawned in, streaking in rays of golden hue across the room.

Ughh! I felt a sharp pain in my head that I knew hadn’t been caused by me. I mean I’m Miss Congeniality—I am the most amiable person I will probably ever meet. Seriously, I don’t do stuff that will get my head all banged up and in pain. I slowly opened up my eyes to get a better understanding of the situation. And…wholly moly! What the Hell! Is that a MOUSE!?!? My god, he’s (or she; can’t be sure with these rodents) is staring at me. Right at me! It’s not gonna kill me is it? Dear God, I still have a lot of things I want to do. If this is about eating the cupcake at midnight last week, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to sidetrack from my fitness plan. I mean, come on God, I’m young, beautiful, smart, admirable, everything that a ….

“Oyy!”

Who the hell? I’m kind of busy here with a monologue about myself, and suddenly this guy….

A face appears right in front of me, blocking my view from, well, everything except him. WTH!?!? How dare he interrupt my conversation with God! Turns out it’s my neighbor and childhood enemy, Yesung. Yup. All kinds of annoying wrapped in one package, shipped right to your front door: shipping and handling free.

“Hey, you gonna get up anytime soon, or what?” He says. Yup. He speaks. One point for him. I get up, holding my head, and only just to stand eye level to eye level and glare at him. I mean I’d much rather continue my make-out session with the floor, what with my head throbbing and all. But, it doesn’t look like I will get that wish, not where he is concerned at least.

“Dude,” I say. I know, don’t worry I’m just getting warmed up. “What the hell? Did you knock me out, cuz you couldn’t stand my beauty, or what?” I say sarcastically, with disbelief written all over my face.

 He just stood there dumbfounded for a second (not that that is anything new), and replied, “No, I’d much rather knock you out, because I just can’t stand your ignorance and what not. Unfortunately, somebody already bested me to the task; otherwise I would be so honored to do it myself.”

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” Seriously. No use talking to this guy. He’s got no sense of humor, not that this situation is funny or anything, because believe me there’s gonna be hell to pay, once I get down to the bottom of this, and all.

“Anyways, what the hell are you doing in my house, and more importantly, who the devil let you in?” I asked as I glared at him.

“Pah.” He scoffed. “Your house? I should be asking you the same thing. This is my house. So the question should be, ‘what are you doing in my house?” He crossed his arms, so I did the same. No way was I losing this battle, no way.

“Alright then. What did you do—drag me all the way here, knock me out, and do away with me? I mean c’mon I know I’m beautiful and all, but that is just slick and underhanded.” I tried to look down on him, with my nose all high-strung up in the air and all, but he was already doing the same; and he could actually look down on me because he was taller than me and all. Oh screw this! I am so wearing heels to our next fight.