Tomorrow's Sunset

Holly's Gallery of Random Drabbles/One-shots

Tomorrow's S u n s e t

Pairing: slight!KaiSoo

Genre: Romance (?), Friendship, Angst

Rating: All ages

Word Count: 743


We sat on top of the brick wall bordering our school, our book bags laying by our feet, casually watching the sunset. Our fingertips touched, thousands of unspoken words and feelings expressed with that one contact. The sky was dyed orange, warm and homely, just like him.

His name was Do Kyungsoo.

He was one year my senior, almost exactly one year, in fact. He was quiet, invisible even, disappearing silently and appearing just as noiselessly in my life, never staying more than a few hours at a time. Yet his existence left an uneraseable mark.

"Hyung," I asked, reluctantly breaking the thin, precious silence. "Do you have a favorite word?"

He smiled, still staring off into the sunset, and nodded.

Curious, I tapped him again. "What is it?"

He didn't answer, and I let it slide, thinking that he did not want to talk.

"Tomorrow," he said suddenly, after a few minutes of silence.

I cocked my head at him, confused by his statement.

"My favorite word is 'tomorrow'."

"Why?"

"Because 'tomorrow' is possibilities. It's what we live for," he replied, a bittersweet smile gracing his lips.

I stayed quiet, pondering about his answer, interwining my fingers with his. His hands were cold, almost lifeless, and it scared me. Then, he tightened his hold on my hand, chasing away all apprehensive feelings, filling me with an indescribable warmth.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" I asked quietly.

"Maybe," he said, letting go of my hand and hopping off.

I lifted my arm unconsciously, my skin still yearning for his touch. I watched him walk away from me, his stride confident, feeling my heart drop with each step he took.

"Hyung!" I called, shoving myself away from the wall, running after him.

He turned around, shielding his eyes from the blinding sunset behind me.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" I yelled, waving my arms frantically.

A small smile appeared on his face as he also lifted a hand, waving back, before turning around and leaving again.

 

---


"You're lying."

"Jongin, I'm sorry dear, I... I just got the call—it was primary brain tumorI'm so sorry."

I didn't reply, nor did I lift my head to look up at my mother, to assure her that I was fine and all I needed was some time alone. No, I simply stared at my sneakers caked in mud, hearing Kyungsoo-hyung's grumbling about dirty shoes in the house.

"He promised."

My words were sudden, my voice stronger than I expected. My eyes met my mother's surprised ones.

"Promised what, honey?" She asked tenderly, placing her hand on mine.

I tugged it away, feeling a bit guilty when I saw hurt flash through her eyes. But I didn't care; only Kyungsoo's words filled my mind.

"He promised... that... we were going to go to the park today," I whispered, my throat hoarse, and my eyes staring at the blue vase on the coffee table until it was a blur. "He promised that we were going to go to the library tomorrow! He promise that we were going to go to the amusement park the day after tomorrow! And after that, we're going to the pool, and then the beach, and then the-"

"Jongin."

My mother interrupted me, her voice gentle, but firm.

One look at her eyes set me off.

She was telling the truth.

Kyungsoo... hyung... he really died.

There would be no more tomorrows.

I shook my head slowly, the motion beginning small before getting wilder and wilder. Tears sprang angrily to my eyes as I began backing up towards the door, my hand searching frantically for the doorknob.

"No..."

"Jongin!"

"NO!"

I swung the door open, tearing out of the house and down the street, no particular destination in mind. Because, without you, hyung, I'm lost.

 

---
 

I sat on top of the brick wall bordering my school, my jacket laying by my feet, absently watching the sunset. I watched the sun disappear behind the mountains, the orange fading into a dark blue gradient. I watched the stars appear, twinkling numerously in the sky, seemingly mocking me as they danced and smiled in front of me.

"I'll be one of those one day."

I looked at Kyungsoo. "What?"

"The stars. I'll become one of them."

I laughed a little, taking his hand and playing with his fingers. "Really?"

He nodded, giving me a soft smile. "We all become stars when we move on."

"Move on with...?"

"...With life. With... tomorrow."

 

_____________________

A/N: The nonsense I spew when I'm tired is .... weird. Wrote this while writing my English essay (OMFG I hate writing essays so, so, so much ineedafreakinproofreaderomfg) as a stess reliever. I never finished it until today... because... I... don't want to do chem hw today, or study for a test today, so I'm just going to go online and finish sht I should finish LOL.

Um. I think I have a request from eyka_afzan for a LayxOC story. I promise I'm working on it, omg. It's half done, don't worry, lol.

 

Uh, if this story sounds a LOT like Anterograde Tomorrow (I don't think it does though, does it?), I'm sorry. I didn't base it off AT, nor did I use ideas from it. It was just that the other day, my friends asked me what my favorite word was, and I just said "tomorrow" and they asked me why, and I gave them an explanation, and then this popped into my head.

 

And random fact. Apparently, according to my Coat of Arms that my teacher forced me to do, my motto is "Remember Tomorrow," which means... don't forget there's always a future. You can always forget the past, forget today, and look forward to what happens tomorrow, because tomorrow is a new day, and you start fresh.

 

So yeah. I have an obsession over that word. xDDD

 

Ciao, guys~