Attraction

Holly's Gallery of Random Drabbles/One-shots

A t t r a c t i o n

Pairing: LuYoon (Luhan + Yoona)

Genre: AU, Romance

Rating: All ages

Word Count: 1,306

at·trac·tion [uh-trak-shuhn] noun.
- attractive quality; magnetic charm; fascination; allurement; enticement


y o o n a :

I marveled over how dark the path I took was. The brick stones indicating it was thrown in almost complete darkness, making it near impossible to differentiate from the dark, dew-covered grass that fenced it off.

It was quite an amazing feat for me to be able to walk in darkness, considering the fact that I live in a big city. The bright lights blinked on even in the depths of the night. Often, I would think that there was no night time for a city like this.

Not that I complained.

Night was my least favorite time of the day. Night was when everyone is alone. The world was quiet, no matter how many people were still wandering on the sterets. Everyone was left to drown in their own thoughts. Like everyone, I'm left alone in my one room apartment, with the lights off. And then, I would feel my own mind trying to strangle me, trying to suffocate me. I would begin hyperventilating in the folds of my own bed. Then, I'd get up and take a walk outside, where the cool breeze would calm me down.

Which explains why I'm walking around in a lightless park near midnight. Of course, almost nobody was sleeping yet, save for the old people and little kids. I could hear the muffled chatter of the people on the streets and on the patio of the small cafe near the park. Yet none of it is clear. Music from my mp3 player drowned out nearly all other sounds.

I looked down at my moving feet as I swung my arms freely. It was a nice feeling, walking in the dark. There was no one to judge you, no one to criticize you. There was you, you, and only you.

Suddenly, another pair of shoes stopped in front of me. I looked up and narrowly avoided a crash with the tall young man in front of me. I brushed my hair out of my face and raised my eyes to his. He was also looking at me curiously. Like me, he had one of his earphones in his ear and the other in his hand.

He was good-looking, there's no denying that. His hair was not black, that I could tell. What color it really was, I couldn't distinguish. And I wasn't paying attention to it anyways. My gaze was fixed on his eyes. Brown orbs that stared back at me.

They were so warm, so innocent, so untouched. So different from the eyes that I had to see every day. They reminded me of my mother. He and my mother had the same gentle eyes that would fill me with elation every time I met them with my own.

He opened his mouth. "Excuse me."

I lowered my gaze and bowed slightly, stepping to the side.

As he walked past me, his hand brushed mine. It sent a shiver down my spine, and even after the contact left, I felt a tingling on my skin. His voice resounded in my ear and every other part of my body.

My feet moved forward without me noticing, and soon, I was a few meters away from the spot we had met. I looked back involuntarily, and saw his back moving further and further away.

Turn around.

My own thoughts surprised me. However, as soon as I whispered those words, I realized that I really wanted him to turn around. I was aware that even if he turned around, he would still walk away. But I just wanted to see those eyes one last time.

With a sigh, I turned around just as he reached the edge of the side walk. I stuffed the other earphone into my ear and turned the volume louder. I began walking again.

It was time to go home.

 

 

 

l u h a n :

I loved the wind that swept past my face as I jogged around the park. It made me so free, as if I were flying. The fatigue I felt seemed to be dispelled as I increased my pace. I could hardly see my way through the park, but I knew the path much too well. After all, I did come here every day.

It was an escape from the busy city life I lived. I could be alone, with only my own thoughts and my music. There was nobody trying to get on my good side even though they hated me. There was nobody offering me fake compliments when they thought otherwise.

Nature never lies. It's there, placed wide in the open for everyone to see. The wind doesn't whisper false, sickly phrases in my ears. It tells me the truth, something I hardly hear.

I slowed down as my breathing became haggard. I set my pace to a brisk walk as I tried to control my breathing. I pulled my other earphone out of my ear as I took in the sounds of nature. The leaves rustling. The birds singing. The crickets chirping.

I squinted as I noticed another figure in front of me. It was quite hard seeing in the dark. I stopped abruptly, not wanting to collide into that person. They didn't seem to have noticed me and took another step, before also halting.

As my eyes adjusted to the darkness to take in the figure, I realized that it was a young woman. A quite pretty girl.

She wasn't too short or too tall. Her hair fell in lush curls past her shoulders. Her large, doe-like eyes were staring up at me. I looked back at her, waiting for her to move to the side. When she didn't, I was about to move myself, but there was a small tugging in my chest that told me to stay, to not move, to just stand there and gaze back at her.

My neglected earphone dropped from my hand. She also had only one of her earphones in her ear.

She didn't move her eyes from mine. As mesmerizing as they were, I felt uncomfortable. Her eyes seemed so sad, yet so naive. It was as if she knew all of the troubles there were in the world, but readily accepted them all, with no complaints. It... scared me in a way.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Excuse me," I said.

As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted it. She broke eye contact and looked away to step to the side. I paused, not wanting to move. I took a deep breath and stepped forward, walking past her. As I did, my hand met hers. An electric spark erupted from the spot her skin had touched mine. I could feel the contact all the way to my chest, and it stopped my breathing.

I almost stopped and turned around, until I heard her foot steps fade away.

I shook my head and smiled wearily. Why would I turn around anyways?

When I reached the edge of the sidewalk, I knew that it was my last chance. After I turn the corner, I knew I'd never see her again. Taking another deep breath, I steadied myself and turned back.

As my eyes took in the image of her backside, I felt myself forgetting how to breathe. Who knew someone could look so beautiful from the back. The dark grey clouds shifted, and the soft silver beams of moonlight broke out from their cage. It shined a halo around her hair, making her seem like an angel.

She stopped walking. For a second, my heart filled with wild hope. A wild hope that she'd turn around. That she'd walk towards me. Then, she took out her mp3, adjusted it, and continued walking. Walking away from me.

With a sigh, I turned around. I began running again, running towards home.

I had work tomorrow.

 

____________________________

A/N: Hehe, another story I wrote when I was on vacation. I was torn about posting this one, since it wasn't really interesting and it was just pretty much me getting my feelings out... so yeah... I actually wrote a super long Author's Note for this, possibly even longer than the story itself, but I'll just post some important parts.

 I happened to meet this one guy while walking, and we were both listening to music, and we both sorta stopped, and we both looked at each other. Not that I was attracted to him or anything. But it came to my mind that people could be so easily attracted to one another, but nothing really happens. What are the chances of a person getting married to someone they met on the streets? Like, just by walking past them? Close to 0. But still, the attraction is still there. It might even become like. But almost none of it becomes love.

I may have not described their attraction for each other enough, but then again, they're complete strangers. They're not supposed to be so mesmerized by each other. This is already departing from the norm. Personally, I loved how they both turned around to view the other, even though it was at different times. They both want the other to notice them, to think of them as something more important than a passerby, but they both do not have the position, the reason, nor the courage to make themselves more important. At the end of the story, they don't mind the fact that they probably weren't going to meet again, and just head home to do whatever they had to. Despite the strong attraction they had for each other, they're aware that they are strangers. They're both rational people that can face reality. 'Cause you know, the love stories in dramas or books or whatever don't really come true in real life.

Sorry if it seems all over the place, because I just cut out two paragraphs from my three-page long A/N... so yeah. Hope you enjoyed this.