The Unknown Artist~

Roman Holiday~

“Hey Hyung, mind catching up with some dinner?” Siwon asked still on a half sitting position in the bed.

“Huh? Yeah sure.” Came a muffled reply from the other who was a little preoccupied with the map and the street guide. Agitated with his behavior Siwon stood up and snatched the papers from Han Geng’s hand in order to have his full attention.

“Hyung! Stop all this now, we’re in Rome, and you know what they say… When you step in Rome be a Roman and how can you say no to Italian food, I mean all those pasta, pizza and gelato, all the palatable product it’s just mmm…”

“Look kiddo I appreciate your enthusiasm but I intend to be prepared, and without the guide for sure we’d get lost in your city of dreams. Besides we’re not romans you know.”

Siwon hung his head low in clear defeat; nevertheless he decided to give it a try one last time. “But Hyung, I’m jinjja hungry, look I can almost hear my stomach growl please…” Siwon forwarded again with that adorable puppy face that no one could dare to deny.

“You always seem to get into my nerves, alright then, let’s feed your growling stomach and we shall continue this later.”
After filling their stomach with lots of delicious food staff and of course tasting the world famous gelato, they decided to take an after dinner walk around the city.

One good thing about the city that it can never get enough crowded. There were tons of people moving on the streets still you can feel as lonely as if you’re in a deserted island. Rome however looked even more mesmerizing in the nocturnal hour. The sun has fallen over the horizon leaving the sky a shade of musky twilight. Although it tend to retain its glory with the shimmering lights that were shining above in pure radiance. The streets were also enchanted with the neon flame, radiating similar charm as that of the sphere.

The two brothers were laughing, giggling having a quality time with each other. They were passing by those street artist which was quite a customary scene of those old cities. Observing each and every detail they were proceeding further in the road. Han Geng however didn’t have that much interest as he drifted faster but Siwon held him by tugging on his shirt. “What’s hurry Hyung?” he asked in calm tone. Which earned him a puzzled look from the other. He smiled as he started to explain.

 “Hyung we can see 100 pictures at a time without actually understanding, without grasping on the theme, or we can even take them by one at time, being immersed in it, let our eyes see and our heart feel what the artist tried to portray. Look over there, that one with the maroon beret. He is doing the Trevi in night light. If you just steal a peck it would appear to be just the photo copy of the said monument, but if you pay attention to the detail, you could visualize the inner significance. The use of grey, brown and black in adequate proportion not just to bring the night fall, but to add the paleness, the gloom in the canvas, on the other hand, there’s bright yellow and white, and even a slight brushes of green as if emitting the light. It’s the alloy of sorrow and delight, dark and light. Those small improvisation would catch your eyes with an ease, and all you could feel is…”

“Beautiful! It’s absolutely beautiful.” It came out of his mouth without even realizing. Siwon just forwarded a sweet smile, a smile that indicated both approval and accomplishment.

“Siwon… I’ve got an idea.”
“Hm… What is it?”

“How about we get our portraits done by one them.” Han geng asked enthusiastically.

“Aren’t we getting late?”

“Drop the mature act already, come let’s go.” Before he could respond he was already dragged to one of those street artist and was force to seat on the small tool.

“Excuse me; I was kind of wandering if you’ll be willing to draw a portrait of me and my brother…” An over excited Han geng asked to the man who was facing his back. With this he turned back in reflux and shoots a glare at the two persons who were now standing right in front of him. He glanced from head to toe with a blunt expression and turned back to his own activity.

Puzzled with the nonchalance the two of them stood there without a single word. One of them was about to open his mouth as the voice shoot back again,
“3 euro per face, are you willing to pay?” He forwarded, without even turning his gaze.

“That is fine. Here’s the money.” As Han Geng quickly seated on the only available furniture and handed the money to the not so friendly artist. For the first time there could be seen a small curved line forming in the boy’s lips. He added a new sheet to the board and started to trace the impression on the faces that were in front of his eyes. As he was doing his work Han Geng started to converse with fellow.

“Do you mind if I ask where are you from?” he said in an inquisitive tone. Listening to this, the artist lifted an eyebrow as if he was asked about some confidential matter. Noticing the look Han Geng quickly proposed a semi apology. “Erm… Forgive me if I crossed the threshold, it’s just you don’t seem to be from the native place.”
“That’s because I’m not. I don’t belong to Rome; I’m actually from Korean, Seoul to be precise.” He replied again with the sarcastic nonchalance.
Both their jaw fell at the sudden declaration. “What!!! You’re from Korea? God! The world truly id a small place.” Said Han Geng.

“Huh? Now what’s that supposed to mean?” came the snarky reply.

“Call it a coincidence but we actually belong to the same country. We’re coming straight from South Korea, Seoul. Me and my brother are here for a vacation.” Han Geng voiced out to satisfy the other’s curiosity.

“I see.” Was the only thing he said.

Much to contrast his character Siwon was quiet all along the conversation. There was something about the man that prevented him from any further ado. As the matter of fact he could only stare at the beautiful face of the other. Wait there, rewind and play… Beautiful face! Really? Is he going insane? He’s addressing a man’s face as “beautiful” that to a man whom he had made just an hour ago. But it was useless to deny, as he took a better glance at latter’s features. His brows were hidden under his golden brown hair that was accessorized with a black beret that contrasted his chaste outer covering.  But the real delight was the hazel nut eyes that sparkled now and then which made Siwon to beam every time he steals a glance.

Han Geng and the man continued their little chat as they asked more questions about their where about and other staff, a usual convo. Meanwhile the man felt an amused pair of eyes still glancing at his way, in a blink of an eye, he shifted his gaze from Han Geng to Siwon and was fast enough to catch the staring Siwon. Siwon blushed intensely as if he was caught red handed doing some sort of crime, but latter’s eye again traveled to his canvas, but only this there was a slight smirk visible in corner of his face that replaced the usual naiveness. Hours flew like minutes and soon the picture was completed. He handed Han Geng the paper folded and wrapped in a clear plastic cover and gave him the smallest smile anyone could and resumed his previous work. Han Geng was about to leave when all of a sudden Siwon open his mouth and without being aware he stated the question, “What is your name?”

“Kyuhyun, Cho Kyuhyun” he replied looking back and turned around almost immediately. Before Siwon could say anymore Han Geng took over the conversation.
“Ah. Kyuhyun-sshi thanks again for the picture we’ll be heading back now, take care.” He said with a smile and dragged his brother along with him.

 

Silence much to Han Geng’s annoyance he let out, “Yo Siwon-ah what’s the matter? Why are you behaving like this?”

“That boy… Kyuhyun… I… I mean him…” Siwon gave a muffled reply.

“Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for him?” he asked in obvious inquisition.

“I don’t know Hyung, I’ve never felt this way, it’s like…”

“Ha ha ha… so my little brother is growing up huh..” he laughed while ruffling his hair.

“Hyung…” he whined while straightening up the mess caused by his brother.

“Well you better go and find a way of contacting him, because…” before he could finish he found himself backwards as he screamed “I will find him Hyung no matter what. See you.”

Ragged form all the running he finally reached the place, panting and frantic breathing. He was facing the ground as he tried to catch up his breath. After a while he glanced up but was taken aback by the scenario. Emptiness was all that he was rewarded with. He screamed as if not believing the inevitable, “Kyuhyun… Kyu..” Useless… as there were no traces to be found.

He fell on the ground unable to engulf the scene. He glanced up as he recalled the memories, his face, his voice, his smirk, and those eyes, the sparkle he… Kyu… was just intoxicating. “I don’t know how to deal with this, it’s something I’ve never experienced in my entire life… Am I falling for you, falling for a boy…” He shook his head in fury in order to push those thoughts away. “I… I have to find you, have to confront these feeling… Kyuhyun wherever you are, I will find you…”