Turning the Troublemaker into a Good Kid

sea of neutrals [request for a oneshot]

 

  “You can’t do this to me!” Kai hollered, following his dad as he walked out of his office. “I don’t need a tutor, dad! ! My grades are perfectly fine.” Well, it was perfectly fine to him. Really, who cared about school when he had a rich father? A good future was guaranteed for him since he’s the successor of his father’s company.

  “Perfectly fine?” his dad laughed and he shook his head. Kai crossed his arms and glared at his father, wanting an explanation. “You barely pass in any quiz and you think your grades are perfectly fine? Don’t make me laugh, Kai!”

  “I don’t need a stupid tutor,” Kai said. “That would be the last thing I want ever in my whole life! Use your brain a little, dad. I can always change my ways and study harder.” He hoped his father would buy it. He wouldn’t—he would never put effort in studying.

  “Except you wouldn’t.” His father then rolled his eyes. “Kai, I know you. I know you very well, so don’t even think about lying to my face.” He glared back at Kai until the boy clicked his tongue at him and walked away. He watched Kai’s retreating back before turning in the opposite direction.

  Kai was the father of one of the richest people in Korea. He had everything but, what he didn’t have is an appealing attitude. See, he wasn’t someone you could call ‘kind’ per se. He was far from kind. Why, though? Branded with the title ‘Troublemaker’ in school, a lot of people liked him while some hated him. He could care less. He was leading a good life and he wasn’t going to let his haters get to him.

  Until his father announced he hired a personal tutor for him. What was so nice about being tutored for school? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Being tutored meant no time to hang out with his friends after school. Being tutored mean no time for him to visit the dance studio, which was just a block away from his house.

  “Damn it,” he hissed as he reached his room. He walked inside, shut the door behind him—hard, and flopped down on his bed. Kai grabbed his pillow and repeatedly banged his head against it. He hated this and he hated his father. He even hated his personal tutor already, albeit he hasn’t met her—or him, yet.

  After a few minutes, he decided to meet up with his friends to cool down a bit and forget about the tutorial lessons he was going to have, starting tomorrow. Surely, when his friends find about this, they’d laugh at him. There was no doubt about it. Zilch.

  “So, why’d you invite us to eat in that fancy restaurant?” Chanyeol asked with his eyebrows lacing together in confusion. “You never treat us.” Kai rolled his eyes at what Chanyeol said and just shrugged. He had to come up with a lie. Chanyeol was right; he doesn’t treat his friends to food and in this matter, extremely good food.

  “No reason,” Kai said, slapping himself mentally a moment later because of his answer. “I just thought of it, I guess. I mean, you guys always treat me and I don’t so, I thought to make it up to you.” Afterwards, he flashed them his trademark smile, followed by a groan from Sehun.

  “And there goes that smile again,” he complained. His friends ignored him and continued to talk, making Sehun feel left out. In a desperate attempt to join them in their conversation, he pushed Chanyeol away from Kai and he wrapped an arm around the boy’s neck. “Tell me something I don’t know,” he grinned.

  Kai’s eyes widened in shock. Does Sehun know? he thought but he quickly dismissed it. The chances of Sehun knowing about his tutorial lessons when his father just told him he was going to get them an hour ago was impossible. Besides, Sehun was always late when it comes to news. It was like he lived under a rock.

  “There’s nothing you need to know,” he said. Sehun raised an eyebrow at this before letting it go. “Now, can you please remove your arm from me?” The boy did as he was told, but not without giving Kai a frown first.

  “What’s wrong with you?” Chanyeol asked with a laugh. “Why’re you so grumpy today? Did something bad happen? You can always tell us. I mean, we’re your friends!”

  “Don’t push it,” Kai said. “I’m just upset because of my father, that’s all.”

  “That’s all? Really, Kai?” the youngest boy said.

  “Look, if both of you are this nosy, how about I just treat you at a cheap place?” Kai whined. “How does that sound now?”

  In the end, the three of them settled for a cheap restaurant because of Sehun and Chanyeol’s constant whining and because both of them were too inquisitive. Kai didn’t really intend to eat in such a cheap place, but it was a bargain. Cheap but delicious food.

  When the clock ticked nine o’ clock in the evening, Kai, Chanyeol, and Sehun parted ways. Kai was expecting his father to wait in the living room but, fortunately, he wasn’t. Maybe his father was taking a breather. Kai wasn’t complaining, though. The last thing he wanted was to get scolded.

  He walked to his room and flopped himself down on his bed, with only one thought in mind. Whoever his tutor was going to be, he’d make sure that person’s life would be a living hell.


 

  School had been boring—as usual--, what with the insufferable teachers and his boisterous classmates. He didn’t mind his classmates, though. Besides, he was one of those people, anyway. Once he got home, he was greeted by a girl.

  “And who might you be?” Kai asked with an eyebrow raised. The girl smiled at him first before bowing. Kai’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Who was this girl and what was she doing here in their house? Surely, his dad didn’t pick up yet another girl from somewhere.

  “I’m Kang Yool,” the girl introduced herself. “I’m going to be your personal tutor for the whole month.”

  Kai’s eyes widened. He completely forgot about this! He completely forgot that he was going to start tutorial lessons and now here she was, the girl who was going to tutor him. Damn my life, he thought as he clenched his fist. He had to get rid of her… but how? “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he settled for lying instead.

  He walked past the girl and into the dining room, dropping his backpack on the white couch along the way. Yool followed Kai as the boy took a cup of instant noodles. “Oh, I know you do,” she said. “Your father told me that he had already informed you about the tutorial lessons you’re going to receive.”

  “Oh, really?” Kai clicked his tongue, turning around to face the girl. “Well, Yool, I don’t really need tutorial lessons. I’m doing perfectly fine in school, you see.”

  “But, your father said your usual grade was always seventy-four percent and below,” Yool scratched her head. She knew she didn’t misread it or anything. This boy was just trying to twist her mind around… and she wasn’t going to fall for it. “I know you’re lying. Please, just the drop the act so we can get a move-on already.” She flashed him a glare before walking back to the living room.

  Kai rolled his eyes before simply following her suit, grabbing a pack of chips and placing the instant noodles back in the cabinet. He could practically tell from now that this woman was no good, with her being all grumpy.

  “Okay, so first of all, we start with…” she stops to pull out a book from her bag. Kai groaned in frustration when he realized that they’d be studying the subject he hated the most. “… Geometry! What lesson are you currently on right now?”

  Kai shrugged. He really didn’t know. “Beats me.”

  Yool pressed both of her lips together tightly. This boy was worse than she thought! Which reminded her that she didn’t know this boy’s name yet. She mentally slapped herself for forgetting such a thing. “What’s your name, by the way?” she asked.

  “Kai.”

  “Well, Kai, do you at least know the chapter you’re in?” She silently prayed to God that he knew because, if he didn’t, how was she going to teach him when she knew nothing about the lesson they’re in? She sighed in relief when Kai nods. “Great! What chapter?”

  “Chapter two,” Kai answered briefly, ripping the bag of his chips open and dipping his hand inside to take a cracker. “Something about circumferences or whatever that is.”

  “Watch your words, Kai,” Yool scolded him with her eyes narrowed. This boy was younger than her and he even had the guts to curse in front of her! Jeez, she wished she hadn’t accepted the call his father gave her because this wasn’t what she was expecting at all.

  “Just hurry up!” whined the latter. “I don’t want to waste so much time here doing nothing.”

  “All right, all right,” sighed Yool.

  The two of them spent the next two hours studying for all the subjects Kai failed in, which were all of the subjects. Yool found it absolutely preposterous that the boy failed in all subjects, which led her to ponder whether Kai had an ambition in life.

  “Kai,” she started. The boy looked up from solving a problem, a frown evident on his face. “What’s your ambition in life?”

  “What’s with that random question?” Kai turned his eyes back to the problem he was solving. At least, he was trying to.

  “I was just wondering.” Yool shrugged. “Why? Is it bad for me to ask?”

  “You just said that to solve this problem, we have to keep quiet,” Kai reasoned out, scribbling nonsense onto the paper he was solving since he decided to give up. The problem was too complicated and he didn’t even know the formula. Yool didn’t answer anymore.

  “Just… finish that problem,” she ordered, only to receive a stare from Kai. “What?”

  “I don’t get it,” he deadpanned. Yool sighed for the umpteenth time that day as she and Kai went over the whole solution once again.


  The days of Yool tutoring Kai turned into a week and the boy shall be honest and say that he was getting quite fond of Yool. He learned that Yool was three years older than him and that she was engaged to a guy named Myungsoo. He felt bothered when he heard that; he just wasn’t sure why, though. Maybe it was because she was too young. Yeah, it was probably because of that.

  “So, how did your quiz in Physics turn out?” Yool asked one day as she set her bag on the couch. She waited for Kai to answer and she prayed that he got a high score.

  “I got a perfect score on my quiz,” Kai says, shrugging. “It was a piece of cake.”

  Yool sighed in relief. The tutorial lessons had paid off and Kai’s grades were changing drastically. She couldn’t help but feel proud of him. “Thank goodness, Kai! I got worried for a sec, thinking you failed that quiz.”

  “Well, I didn’t, didn’t I?” Kai smiles and he walked to the kitchen. Yool pretty much noticed that this was Kai’s daily routine; he goes home from school and goes to the kitchen to grab something to eat. Sometimes, she even wonders if the boy eats in school.

  “And I’m proud of you for that!” praised Yool and she gave him two thumbs-up, causing Kai to redden a bit. Why was it that whenever Yool praised him, he always blushed? Countless girls have called him handsome and he had never blushed; usually, he ignored them. But, why Yool? What was it that this girl had that made his stomach churn?

  “I told you not to underestimate me,” Kai smirks. He grabbed two glasses from the cupboard and took the jar of orange juice from the fridge, slamming it shut after he got it. He poured the juice into the glasses before walking back to Yool. “Here’s a glass of orange juice.” He handed the glass over—“Thanks,” Yool smiled—and sat down beside her.

  Kai took a sip from his juice and placed it on the coffee table. “So, what the hell are you going to teach me now?”

  “English,” Yool answered, a grin on her face. “I heard from your father that you at English.” Kai frowned upon hearing this.

  “Well, that’s a mean way to put it,” he said. Yool rolled her eyes and drank her juice in one gulp before setting it down on the coffee table, as well.

  “Whatever, let’s just get on with it, okay?” she said, bringing out her English textbook from her bag. She turned to the recent lesson Kai was currently in and set it down on her lap. “Seriously, Kai, scoot closer to me. You won’t understand if you’re that far away.”

  Once again, Kai blushed from Yool’s words before simply nodding. He moved closer to her and kept his eyes focused on the textbook, afraid to make eye-contact with the girl sitting beside him. Again, he didn’t know why. But, he hoped it was nothing serious.

  The days passed on like that, with Kai trying to remind himself that Yool was nothing more than a tutor. He shouldn’t let his feelings get in the way. So far, he’d been doing well in denying and he distanced himself away from his tutor, not wanting to get attached or anything.

  Until—until—one day, Yool wasn’t anywhere to be found. She didn’t go to tutor Kai and the boy had to be honest that he was worried. He scratched his head in frustration before walking up to his father’s office. Maybe his father knew.

  “Dad, where’s Yool-noona?” Kai asked, peeking through the office door. His father was seated on the chair, typing away madly on his keyboard. He was typing up another report. Sigh, it was always like this every other day. His father’s workload never ceased.

  “Is she not there?” he asked without even looking up. Kai furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head.

  “No, she’s not there,” he answered. “Did she, perhaps, ask for a day-off to you?”

  “She didn’t.”

  “Then where is she?”

  His father completely stopped typing then. Kai watched as he took a post-it note from his desk and scribbled something on it quickly. He stood up and handed the post-it note to Kai. “Here’s her number,” he said. “Call her and ask her where she is. I’m just really busy now, son.”

  “You don’t say?” Kai rolled his eyes before taking the note and walking downstairs. He took a glance at the note and fished his phone out of his pocket. After typing in her phone number and pressing ‘Call’, he waited. Minutes later, Yool picked up.

  “Hello?” Kai heard someone sniffle. “Who is this?”

  “It’s me, Kai,” the boy answered, biting his lip. “Noona, where are you? Are you all right?” He sounded too concerned but that was the least of his worries now. When he heard another sniffle, he just knew Yool was crying. But, why?

  “Yeah, I’m fine,” she answered.

  “Noona, are you crying?” he asked.

  “No, I’m not crying.”

  “Where are you right now?” Kai asked. “Are you all right, noona?”

  “Kai, really, I’m fine!” Yool raised her voice higher. Kai stopped in his tracks, feeling his heart burn a little from the outburst. He chewed on his lip as silence filled the air, Yool’s breaths the only thing he could hear in it. Whatever Yool was going through right now, Kai promised himself to stay away from it.

  “I’m sorry,” he whispered into the phone, sitting back down on the stairs (he was so close to getting out of the house at that time.)

  “N-No,” Yool stuttered out. “I should be the one who’s sorry. I… I apologize for suddenly shouting like that. Kai, sweetie, it’s just that noona is going through a lot these days but, if you’re really that persistent, you can go over here.” Kai could tell, though, that Yool was just saying that to make up for her outburst. But, why wasn’t he backing away? Why was he getting up to start his car?

  “Where are you know, noona?” Kai asked as he got into his car. He slammed the door shut and started the engine.

  “I’m currently at the local park,” she answered.

  “I’ll be there in a flash.” With that, Kai ended the call and drove off to where Yool is.


 

  Kai found Yool sitting on a bench near the fountain. He understood why she was here—no one really went to the local park that much. The girl had her arms around her legs and her face buried in between her knees. If he didn’t know her and happened to pass by her, he’d assume she was a ghost. He bit his lip and made his way towards her. “Noona!” he called out.

  Yool tilted her head up and smiled when she saw Kai. It wasn’t one of her usual smiles, though. This one looked forced, as if it pained her to do so. She didn’t say anything when Kai sat beside her and the boy awkwardly wrapped an arm around her shoulders, trying to console her.

  “Why are you crying?” he asked, breaking the silence that was beginning to irk him. Silence… he hated that and he never understood how some people could describe silence as comfortable. For him, he wanted noise, he wanted everything to be lively and not dull.

  “Kai, it really won’t help me if you know,” the latter answered. “Also, you don’t need to get into this problem and get involved.”

  “But I want to get involved,” he answered. Heck, he didn’t care anymore and he didn’t dare deny about his feelings for her. Yool, he loved her. This just wasn’t a simple crush—this is real love he’s feeling. “Don’t try and push me out of this because, it pains me to see you in tears.”

  Yool stared at the boy in confusion. “W-what the hell, Kai?” she said, finally letting go of her legs in favor of removing Kai’s arm from her shoulders. “You don’t know what you’re saying, seriously.”

  “Just tell me what the matter is,” he said, staring straight at the girl’s eyes without any hint of shyness. “Please? I want to help you. Maybe this can be my thanks for helping me get through school and make my grades higher.”

  “Fine,” Yool said, sighing. “Myungsoo… he cheated on me with another woman.” Kai raised an eyebrow when he heard this. The girl nodded, and Kai noticed tears beginning to appear in the brim of her eyes once again. “Right, so, I saw him with another woman at home… in our bed.” When she said the last line, her voice was full of hatred, full of disgust.

  “Does he know you saw him?” Kai asked, curious. “Is your wedding off?”

  “Well, after seeing that, the wedding’s off, all right,” she said. “And, yes, he knows it.”

  “He’s a bastard for cheating on you,” Kai said, laughing because he was unable to hold it in any longer. “Really, I’m sorry but I just find it very ironic.” Yool, this time around, had stopped crying. She looked at the boy with stupefaction etched on her features.

  “What do you mean by ironic, exactly?” she asked, her eyes narrowed suspiciously at the boy.

  “You’re a great girl,” Kai explained, grinning. He brought his hand up to wipe the tears off of Yool’s face. “I don’t think anyone in their right mind would leave you.”

  “So, what are you trying to say?” Yool asked, an eyebrow arched; she doesn’t deny the fact that she was getting flustered each time the boy threw a compliment at her. Kai may be stupid in school but, he was good at this.

  Kai sighed, rolling his eyes in the process. “I like you,” he confessed. “So much.”

  Yool’s eyes widened for a few seconds in shock at the boy’s confession. It never occurred to her that Kai might have a crush on her, but now that she thought about it, it made her heart flutter. Although she wasn’t quite sure how she felt about the boy before her. She didn’t despise him—nothing of that. She liked him, to be quite honest.

  “It doesn’t matter if you say yes or no because I know it’s hard to take in,” the boy said, moving away and leaning back against the bench. “It’s all right if you also don’t like me; I just wanted to tell you how I felt about you.”

  “You’re a great guy, Kai,” Yool said hesitantly, trying to find the right words. “I like you and all but, I’m not really sure how I feel, yet.” She half-expected the boy to burst into anger or burst into tears but, much to her amusement, the boy stayed calm all throughout it.

  “Whatever,” he said. “Just don’t even think that I’m giving up on you, ‘cause I’m not. I don’t plan to, ever.” He smiled smugly at her. It was pretty obvious to Kai that Yool already liked him. She was just denying it, anyways.

  “Wow, are you really sure about what you’re saying?” Yool laughed and Kai ignored her, wanting to ask another question, instead.

  “Hey, by this time, I know you’re eighty percent in love with me already,” he said, nodding.

  “And what makes you think that?” the girl retorted, her arms crossed and Myungsoo the least of her worries now. She couldn’t focus on anything else but Kai, Kai, Kai.

  “Because you’re blushing.”

  And maybe, just maybe, Yool thinks that he’s right, that she’s on her way to falling in love with him. If that ever does happen, she doesn’t think she’d regret it. Maybe Kai would be an even better boyfriend than Myungsoo had ever been. 


 

Hello! I'm going to apologize for the lack of in this oneshot. It's because I got so immersed into the story and made it so fluffy. But, heck, who wouldn't appreciate a story with all those wibbwy feewings and those cute cheesy moments? :)) I hope you enjoyed this just as much as I enjoyed writing it! <3 

I admit it was hard trying to make Kai change fast but, maybe I'm just worrying too much. I wanted their relationship to look natural, just normal and not too fast-paced, so I opted Yool to not be sure about her feelings, yet. I also wanted some more time for Kai to really change his ways.

Anyways, the author's note ends here! Leave me a feedback and tell me what you think <3