Invited

Dear Tofu

He walked out. Sehun walked out. The more you thought about it, the more you realized that it was unlike him to do so. Was he always this closed off? No. Would he usually try to get away from problems? You didn’t really know.

Throughout the winter break, you and Sehun didn’t keep in contact. Instead, you focused on your blog way more than friends. Jongin would try to get you out every now and then after that whole Christmas incident, but you would only accept to after every few offers.

And you been seeing a lot of Baekhyun around your house to be around Chanyeol. It wasn’t something you would normally realize before, but in a sense, you befriended him. You had no idea he was this close to Chanyeol.

“Hey,” Baekhyun greeted you as he invited himself in, “Chanyeol not around?”

You were in the dining room with your laptop (and quickly changed windows to make it seem like you weren’t working on your blog).

“He went out like thirty minutes ago. I think he should be back soon. He just went out to do errands,” you answered him while twirling the pencil in your hand out of habit.

Baekhyun nodded awkwardly then took a seat down across from you. Honestly, for the longest time, he has wanted to ask you about that date you promised him. But would he be seen as clingy? Pushy? He didn’t want to overthink things, but this was you. Not some fling. He’d liked you for way too long to mess things up. Everything with you, around you had to be perfect to him.

“Bora?” he called your name.

With a single hum, you gave him your slightest attention while your eyes were still kind of glued to the screen. Now he wasn’t sure what he wanted to say or how he should approach you with words.

So, about that date?

No.

You still owe me a date?

No…

Remember when…

No, no, no.

“Something wrong?” you finally took your eyes off the screen and stared at him.

Baekhyun chickened out. Once again.

“No, just wondering what you were doing,” he casually lied.

You chuckled, “Surfing the net.”

“Cool. Cool,” his voice died down due to the awkwardness he was forming.

And just like it on queue, Chanyeol came into the room and casually brought his arm around his best friend’s shoulder – honestly saving Baekhyun from the silence.

“There’s a drive-in movie tonight in Seoul. Let’s all go,” Chanyeol suggested and almost immediately you reacted.

You always had a thing for movies and drive-ins are always an A+. There were rarely any drive-in movies playing in Seoul, and you remember going a lot whenever they played something in high school.

“You’re kidding right? There hasn’t been a movie playing at the drive-in in ages,” you were acting pessimistic, when in actuality you were quite hopeful for the chance.

“Not kidding. I bought a ticket for a car already today,” Chanyeol waved in front of your face.

“Yes!” you ripped the ticket out of his hands, “Hell yes!”

Baekhyun was so shocked to how fast and excited you had acted. It was refreshing though, in comparison to how you have been sticking your head into the laptop lately.

“You want to come too, Baekhyun?” you smiled and naturally placed your hand on his arm, “You should! It would be fun, plus just going with my brother is boring.”

For a moment, Chanyeol smirked. He was happy that Baekhyun was actually invited by the girl that he had liked. It took him long enough.

“S-sure!” Baekhyun didn’t even hesitate to act enthusiastic. He didn’t even care about keeping his cool. He couldn’t even if he tried. Your hand was still touching his arm. A touch that was foreign. A touch he wished to experience all the time. It was her touch. Her touch that forced all his blood to his head. He felt embarrassed yet thankful, happy yet nervous.

“I’m glad,” you smiled to yourself. Honestly, you’ve lacked human interaction lately. Maybe this would be refreshing. Maybe, a drive-in movie was something she needed to get her mood up.

Suddenly, a beep rang throughout the room.

“Sorry, that’s my phone,” Chanyeol hated to interrupt the moment (that he thought you two were having) and quickly checked his phone. You could only see the suspicious look as he read the message he received.

“Well, someone reminded me that I had plans today. Do you two mind going together yourselves? I have something important to attend you. You guys can take my car if you want,” Chanyeol informed them, but he didn’t seem the slightest bit of disappointment.

“Us? Just the two of us?” Baekhyun asked in surprise.

It took him a few moments to process the thought. He didn’t even know whether he should thank his friend or hate him. He’s been (kind of) alone with you before, but this was different. This was like a date. This is a date. Two people of the opposite going to the movies together, and drive-ins are usually when couples are… intimate with one another.

“Sure. I owed Baekhyun a date anyway,” you approved, “Plus, it’d still be fun. Oh! Can I drive?”

“Hell no,” Chanyeol shut down that option, “Baekhyun is driving. This is my car.”

You bitterly yet jokingly groaned and frowned. “Fine, but Chanyeol, we need money for popcorn and snacks,” you insisted, “I mean if you’re not going to let me drive.”

“I bought the ticket!”

“You’re ditching us!”

“I can pay,” Baekhyun spoke up, “I don’t mind.”

You blinked a few times, but then shook her head. “You can’t pay! Chanyeol will pay, don’t worry,” you chuckled, “If anything, I’ll pay. I owe you.”

“You owe me nothing, you know,” he sounded serious. Something that you could easily dismiss because you couldn’t fully understand why he acted such a way. You kindly pressed your lips together and looked over to Chanyeol for an answer.

“He’s a man, Bora. Let him pay for the girl,” Chanyeol supported Baekhyun.

You sighed, but you gave in with a smile. “Fine, fine. I won’t fuss over it.”

“Movie starts in two hours,” Chanyeol told them and threw his car keys at Baekhyun to which he caught with ease, “Bring her back as late as you can.”

“You’re being generous today.”

“Because things might actually be put into place.”

You had no idea what he had meant by that, but Chanyeol could’ve only meant Baekhyun and yourself being together. He liked the idea of the two of you being together.

“Um… okay?” you said, “I’ll just get ready. Baekhyun, you can hang around or get ready yourself. I should be done in an hour.”

“Alright,” he couldn’t have bitten back his smile.

When you ran off upstairs, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were at endless bickering with each other.

“What the hell was that? What other plans did you even have?” Baekhyun shoved his best friend. As much as he appreciated his efforts, Baekhyun wanted things to go his own pace. Baby steps.

He was thankful. Of course, he was. It’s not everyday you get the approval of your crush’s brother. But he wanted to write his own love story.

“I don’t have plans. Isn’t it great?” Chanyeol chortled, “You two finally have alone time. No Sehun. No Jongin. Those two are the biggest obstacle course to get to Bora, if you ask me.”

“And Luhan?”

“Oh, I don’t know much of him to be honest.”

Baekhyun sighed, “Alright. Fine, I’ll forgive you for now since I can actually hang out with her without other people around.”

“I really hope you two pull it off today. Just don’t do things to her. It’s too early and she’s my sister,” Chanyeol joked.

“What the hell, dude?”

“You’re a guy! A guy and a girl at a drive in movie. Practically all the privacy you can get. Don’t forget you’re going to be in my car. So think of that if you try anything! I’ll know if anything will happ—“

“Dude, just stop.”


Author's Note: OMG FINALLY AN UPDATE. I've been so busy lately. My update is a lot later than I had originally planned. I can't promise you that updates will come in more frequently but lets just say that I have more time to spare now and there is a high possibly for that to happen! Thank you for being so patient ; ~ ; Love you alllllll to wittle bits c: