Too Good to Be True

Why Don't You Just Jump?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvoEWYkYZw


The next day JongUp came down with a sudden cold so I had to walk to the bus stop on my own. I heard the familiar sound of JunHong’s skateboard behind me and soon enough he was beside me.

“Morning! Where’s JongUp hyung?”

“He’s not feeling well today.”

“Tell him to feel better soon! Can I walk with you then?”

“Are you sure? Don’t you want to skateboard?”

“I can’t let you walk alone silly; by the way, I got something for you.” He reached into his backpack and pulled out a small stuffed tiger. “When you need courage or you feel like crying he’ll be with you.” He put the cute tiger in my hands and I looked up at him and smiled happily.

“Gomawo~”

He put his arm around my shoulders and walked me to the bus stop. The day dragged on until lunchtime and I got a text from JunHong.

Since JongUp hyung isn’t here do you want to eat with me? Just me J

I smiled gratefully and replied yes. I joined him at a small table under a tree outside the school. We chatted happily about classes, teachers, students and other random things. I dared to say it was the best lunch I’d ever had. And the next month was definitely the best of my life. JunHong would surprise me with visits on random nights, we would go out to have bubble tea after school, when he didn’t have lunch with YongGuk and I didn’t eat with JongUp we would have lunch together, he would call me early in the morning to ask how I was doing, he tried to teach me to rap and we danced. That was the most personal thing for me – the dancing. I never danced in front of anyone but somehow, somehow, I danced with JunHong. He made me feel special, like I wasn’t just some weird girl that only hung out with her brother and passed out when she had to meet new people.

One night a week before the first semester ended JunHong called me and asked to see me. I instantly became happy and hurried downstairs. We sat on my doorstep and he held my hand.

“Lee Saya,” he said, “I have something to ask you.”

He sounded so serious. “Is everything ok?”

“I’ve never been better actually.”

He turned to me and looked me in the eyes. “Saya, I like you, I really do. I like that you’re shy and so sweet. I love when I compliment you and you blush. I’ve never liked anyone this much before and I want to be with you. I want to ask you before someone else takes you away from me. Lee Saya, will you be my girlfriend?”

I stopped breathing but this time it wasn’t on purpose. I liked JunHong too. I knew there was something different about from the time I jumped out my window to see him. He made me comfortable and that meant the world to me. I actually couldn’t imagine ever being with anyone but him. I didn’t realize how long I was taking to answer and in the light of my doorstep I saw JunHong’s face turning red.

“Ah…if-if you don’t feel the same it’s ok…I-I just wanted to ask…um…” his voice trailed away and I couldn’t help but smile at his embarrassment.

“I like you too, JunHong and I want to be your girlfriend.”

I could almost feel his wave of relief. He lifted my hand that was still in his and kissed it. His eyes twinkled like on the night we had first met and I leaned my head on his shoulder. We both sighed at the same time and it made us laugh. JunHong turned his head to the side and kissed the top of my head. I closed my eyes and wished we could stay like this forever.

*************************************************************************************

(JunHong’s POV)

I was heading to the classroom after school to do cleaning duty when HyoSung ran up behind me and hugged me. I gently but firmly removed her arms from around my waist.

“HyoSung please, I have a girlfriend.” And even if I didn’t I still wouldn’t want her to touch me.

“JunHong-ah~, why are you still here?”

“I have cleaning duty,” I told her as I entered the classroom. She followed me in. I thought she was going to help me but she just sat on a desk as I cleaned the windows. When I was almost finished she hopped off the desk and sidled up to my side.

“JunHong-ah~”

She was starting to annoy me again. YongGuk and JiEun were overjoyed when they heard Saya and I were now a couple but HyoSung whined on and on about how anti-social she was and how unfit she was to be my girlfriend.

“JunHong-ah, why are you ignoring me?”

I sighed. “What can I help you with, HyoSung?”

“I like you, JunHong-ah~, I really do~. I’m so much better than Suzy. I bet you haven’t even her kissed yet.”

My face turned red and she smiled knowingly. Suddenly, she grabbed my face and pressed her lips to mine.

 

 

(Saya’s POV)

As I was heading to the bus stop I remembered I had forgotten one of my notebooks in the classroom. I exhaled and turned around. I walked through the empty hallways reminiscing on last night when JunHong asked me to be his girlfriend. I sighed happily as I recalled every word and every touch we had shared last night. I was looking forward to spending much of the Christmas vacation with JunHong. As I approached the classroom door I heard voices inside. JunHong? And…a girl? I opened the door.

There.

In front of me.

JunHong.

With his lips pressed against HyoSung’s.

He immediately pushed her off. He didn’t even say anything. He just looked wide-eyed from me to HyoSung.

I couldn’t feel anything. I thought I should feel pain but I didn’t. I was just numb. HyoSung walked up to me and smirked in my face but even that didn’t elicit any feeling from me. She bumped my shoulder as she walked out of the classroom. JunHong just stared at me. I swallowed and carefully started to back away from the door.

“Saya…” he started but had nothing to back it up. The sound of his voice seemed to ground me. I span on my heel and ran as fast as I could as though I could outrun the feelings that were building up inside me. I heard footsteps chasing me.

“Saya!” JunHong called. “Saya! Please wait! It’s not what it looked like!”

‘It’s not what it looked like?’ Was he REALLY using that line?

I just ran faster until I saw the girls’ bathroom. I ran in and shut and locked the door.

“Saya! Saya, please listen to me!”

I didn’t want to hear his voice. It made me feel sick, literally. I wanted to throw up.

“GO AWAY!” I screamed.

“Saya, she –”

“I SAID TO GO AWAY!”

“Let me explain what happened!”

My phone started ringing. I frustratedly pulled it out of my pocket. It was JongUp. I immediately answered.

“Where are –?”

“Oppa, please come get me,” I said, holding back tears. I told him where I was and with no questions asked he told he was coming.

I covered my ears to block out JunHong’s pleading voice. I should have known I wasn’t good enough for him. I heard a commotion through my covered ears and removed my hands to hear JongUp and JunHong arguing.

“Hyung please listen to me –”

“Get the hell out of the way and don’t call me ‘hyung’.” JongUp’s voice was deadly calm and I assumed JunHong got out of the way. I hurried to the door and unlocked it. JongUp opened the door and when I threw myself into his arms my tears started to fall and all my emotions crashed down on me.

I was betrayed.

I wasn’t good enough.

JunHong lied.

I was so naïve.

No one could want to be with someone like me.

I was so stupid.