Let Out The Beast

Let Out The Beast

The Dragon raised his head, a sudden sulfurous scent in the air tingling his nostrils and filling his heart with energy. There was only one being with the power to set itself and its world alight, and the Dragon intended to find it… Soon.

Broad, black wings flecked with gold stretched into the sky. After sleeping the afternoon away, he was more than refreshed and ready to hunt. Red eyes narrowed, then closed, as he inhaled the intoxicating odor of burning organic material once again. If he concentrated hard enough, his keen sense of smell would take him right there.

A whoosh of air and he was aloft. One more swipe of membranous wings took him soaring into the sunset. Purples, reds and golds reflected in ebony scales as he navigated through the clouds. He was so free, so eager. Flying was what he did best and the sky was his domain - and he intended to use it. The dragon filled his lungs again with the smell of fire and tucked his wings in with a snap. The streamlined body plummeted at frightening speeds towards the ground, but swerved upwards expertly at the last minute as he caught an updraft.

He now hovered above the forests behind the largest pagoda, a silent shadow against the night as the twin moons rose in the east. Perched on the clay tiles was the Phoenix. His talons clicked against the rough surface idly, oblivious to the creature looming behind him. Tendrils of fire the air as feathers sprouted from the bird’s body and were instantly incinerated. He was living flame. The Dragon breathed out a growl, a flash of blue fire lighting in his throat. His target was so close.

The Dragon swooped in, his hind legs landing beside the Phoenix calmly. The other being did not falter, but only continued to watch the two moons ascend. The Dragon snarled again, making his presence known. The Phoenix blinked curiously at him, neck twisting to meet his eyes. It was then that the Dragon pounced.

He sunk his talons into the Phoenix’s back, sparks exploding into the air as the bird emitted a deep, melodious caw. The Phoenix tried to wriggle free from the Dragon’s grasp, but he was stuck fast. Instead, he coiled his scaly leg tightly and kicked backwards, catching the Dragon square in the chest and ripping a pawful of scales off in the process. The Phoenix knew his fire would not harm the Dragon, as they were kindred spirits of flame and flight, but he puffed out his burning feathers anyway in an attempt to distract the other.

The Dragon was blinded momentarily, but a few blinks adjusted his pupils and he thrashed his tail proudly as if nothing happened. He then wrapped his claws tightly around the curve of the Phoenix’s back; even though they were nearly the same size, the Dragon’s proportions allowed him to overpower the second creature quite easily. When the Phoenix knew he was fighting a losing battle, he stopped the struggle. The Dragon kneaded his digits into the Phoenix’s back, being mindful of his talons. The beast’s red eyes met with the other’s green, and an electric shock traveled down both of their spines. The Dragon tugged its lips into a semblance of a smile before tightening his grip on the Phoenix, who darted his tongue from his beak and the side of the Dragon’s face.

The Dragon spread its wings once again and pumped them once, twice, three times before actually becoming airborne. The extra weight from carrying the uncooperative Phoenix made flight difficult, especially when the creature in his claws attempted to flap his own wings in the opposite direction. The Dragon craned his neck and growled a warning downwards. The Phoenix simply closed its eyes in satisfaction and continued hanging limply while being escorted to the top of a particularly nebulous cloud formation.

Before landing on the surface, the Dragon released his grip and let the Phoenix drop and bounce along the cloud cover with a cocky smirk. The Phoenix recovered as quickly as possible, flames flaring in embarrassment. The Dragon dove forcefully on top of him, the two tumbling over and over and sending sparks flying through the air. When the Dragon found purchase, he pinned the Phoenix down by the wings. He watched the Phoenix breathe, swirling flame rising and falling as rapidly as his own. A serpentine tongue lolled out of his maw and trailed up the other creature’s chest, along the sinuous neck and finally to his beaked face. The two shared a lasting glance that traveled past the eyes and pierced the soul.

The sky lit up that evening with flashes of red and blue fire. Bright patterns danced along the underside of the cloud and dual howls and grunts echoed along the normally silent horizon as Dragon and Phoenix became one.

The villagers up particularly late that night could have sworn they saw two shooting stars fall out of the heavens simultaneously when the strange firestorm was over.

~

Wu Fan woke up with Chanyeol in his arms. He blinked the morning sun from his eyes and shook the falling blossom petals from his golden hair. When his vision cleared, he watched Chanyeol’s shoulders move with his quiet snores. Wu Fan smiled as he traced the bruises on his companion’s neck and shoulders and thighs. He knew he’d have matching ones on his chest to accompany any left over scratches from last time. They weren’t injuries, they weren’t even battle scars. They were proof of a fierce love that could transcend anything. Their love.

The taller male placed a kiss between Chanyeol’s shoulder blades and rested his cheek there. He lay still, relishing his surroundings. He entertained the thought for a moment of letting Chanyeol be the hunter. What would it feel like to be fleeing prey for once? Would it be just as exhilarating? He’d bring it up, eventually.

Maybe next time.